powerpoint presentations on resume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blasterx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next semester I will be presenting my research to the biology faculty and my classmates at my school. It's not a meeting or anything, it's for a class - senior seminar. Every week at a designated time the bio faculty and current students doing research meet and we watch each other do presentations. It is a formal presentation, we dress nice, answer questions, etc.

Would this be too lame to put on my resume?

Also, I will be presenting the same research in the form of a poster at a later date at a small research day thing my school has every year. I'm putting that on my resume for sure...

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I think... That you put the 'lame' things on until they look decidedly lame compared with other things you have done. If you don't have much in the way of publications / seminars at conferences then yes you want to emphasise the talks that you have given at departmental seminars. How come? Becuase it shows a willingness (and ability) to present things.

When I applied for a PhD I had about four papers that I'd given versions of in talks in conferences and also in talks in departmental seminar series. That was about all I'd done, however. I listed the name of the series I'd presented in (even if it was a departemental seminar) and I listed the title of the talk and an abstract of the talk too. You can often judge the quality of the work (and the nature of it) by the abstract.

Sure, why the hell not. We have the same issue come up with respect to book reviews. Do they count as publications or not? Depends what else you have, basically...

And 10 years down the track you will probably not be listing (indeed trying to disown) the first publication you got ;-)

Members don't see this ad :)
And 10 years down the track you will probably not be listing (indeed trying to disown) the first publication you got

I know a chief of staff at a major medical center that still lists a publication from his undergraduate days on his CV despite having 80+ publications to his credit. The "disowning" publications thing is not common so far as I have seen. It may become more common as the current generation of premeds who do bull**** research to pad their applications move up the ranks though.

I know a chief of staff at a major medical center that still lists a publication from his undergraduate days on his CV despite having 80+ publications to his credit. The "disowning" publications thing is not common so far as I have seen. It may become more common as the current generation of premeds who do bull**** research to pad their applications move up the ranks though.
Eh. I've got a few works on my CV that aren't the greatest, and I would be embarrassed to present them knowing what I do now. At the time I needed to learn the process and they were all good experiences.

As time goes on, I'll accumulate more work, but no matter how many articles I write, those first few projects aren't negated. There's no reason to take anything off of the CV unless targeting a particular job or completing a NIH grant application.