Potential student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doug13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a high school student that is very interested in pharmacy, specifically nuclear pharmacy.
However, I have some questions to ask.
Which branch of pharmacy is the most perferable to incoming students?
What jobs are there in these fields, and what are their pay?
If I were to go into a further branch of pharmacy than retail, would i have to get a Pharm.d degree, and then the other degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am a high school student that is very interested in pharmacy, specifically nuclear pharmacy.
If I were to go into a further branch of pharmacy than retail, would i have to get a Pharm.d degree, and then the other degree?

Well speaking for myself as an admitted student I'm pretty much open to any branch of pharmacy although I am most likely going to attempt to get into some sort of a primary care position.

But really until you get into school and get involved with clubs and acquire more experience through shadowing/interning you really can't say for sure what you truly want to go into. I'm interested in nuclear pharmacy as well, I've talked a great deal to a retired nuclear pharmacist and he really enjoyed it. Extremely early mornings are a common fact with it due to the amount of time it takes to prepare medication but it's a small price to pay for a really interesting job.

I have no idea about the pay for branches, I've heard that compounding pharmacy can be quite lucrative though since you can make really specialized medications so it's a great little niche job.
Here's a very helpful document that goes through every single branch you can think of: http://pharmacy.osu.edu/academics/introduction-to-pharmacy/materials/PfizerPharmacyCareerGuide.pdf

As for your last question, I believe that your PhrmD and about 2 years of residency can land you really an job in the field. Further specialization/certification may be needed depending on the exact branch. Good luck, hope this somewhat helped.

1) Welcome to SDN!:)

2) Use the search function first to scoop through the forum for potential ready-made answers to your questions. Saves time & energy...and forum space as well.

3) Try this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=198059

4) Make Google your best friend.

Best of luck.