Potential red flag during my interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted887473

I interviewed at a school that highly values basic science research (think WashU/JHU). I had very strong basic science research experiences from undergrad, which I discussed in the interview. When the interviewer asked if I would be interested in doing similar research in medical school, I responded honestly that the kind of research I did was very time and labor-intensive (the lab trained graduate students/post-docs), and thus I think in medical school it may be more realistic for me to engage in the more translational/clinical side of research. The interviewer responded by saying something like "well, those research involve a different set of skills, but there isn't anything wrong with wanting to do something else."

Now I keep thinking that I messed up in my response and my chances are ruined! :( Can anyone weigh in on this? Am I just being neurotic?

Members don't see this ad.

What she said honestly seems neutral to me, not like she interpreted your response as a red flag at all. Since you asked, I do think you're being neurotic haha.

I know it's hard, but if you can try to avoid overanalyzing your interview, you'll find yourself way more productive and with a much healthier mental state. Some suggestions to fill up your time are: watching movies/reading books that you haven't had time for, trying new hobbies, socializing with friends about NON-interview related topics, etc. Good luck! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Jeeze, OP, take four of these.
1602362062911.png

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I wouldn't call this a red flag or even a yellow flag. You answered honestly and provided good reasons why. The response sounds fairly reasonable. Have some ice cream.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
I'm worried that I came across as lacking commitment/being disinterested in continuing my research :(

For those labor-intensive & time-consuming research, you need to contribute at least 15hrs/week to make some progress...I don't think many medical students will have the time to do that (unless you do experiments at night). I think you were just being realistic.

I'm worried that I came across as lacking commitment/being disinterested in continuing my research :(

Statistically, I'd be willing to bet that very few medical students who did research as an undergraduate continued their research in the same areas. It is a stepping stone. Admissions committees want to see that you understand the scientific method and can think critically. It is not what you study, but the cognitive skill sets that you develop in research. You still have those.