Potential Reapplicant, CA ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BananaMan1

Reaction score
Hello! I applied to 36 MD schools this past cycle (all secondaries in by July/early August) and received 4 interview invites which resulted in 3 waitlists and 1 rejection. The 1 rejection was from a T5 school.
  1. cGPA: 3.80, sGPA: 3.65
  2. MCAT: 514 (129/129/128/128)
  3. State of residence: CA
  4. Race/ethnicity: ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: top CA public school
  6. Clinical experience: 1000+ hours medical assistant/clinical research assistant (now 2000+ hours by start of new cycle)
  7. Research experience: 600+ hours in 3 different labs w/ 2 publications (not first author on either)
  8. Shadowing experience: 60 hours in 3 specialties
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 700+ hours at homeless clinic with leadership position across all 4 years of undergrad, 70 hours volunteering at other homeless shelters.
  10. Other extracurricular activities: 100 hours teaching a class on health disparities, 200 hours of sports clubs at undergrad, and 1 non-sport hobby.
  11. School List: UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, UCI, Pitt, Emory, Cornell, Michigan, USC, Dartmouth, Einstein, Hofstra, NYMC, Kaiser, Rochester, VCU, Stony Brook, Wake Forest, BU, Colorado, Maryland, Albany, Rosalind Franklin, Eastern Virginia, Medical College of Wisconsin, Arizona- Phoenix, Vermont, Oakland Michigan, Tulane, Tufts, Jefferson, Temple, Drexel, GW, Georgetown, St. Louis.
  12. Personal Statement: Focused on my volunteer experiences at the homeless clinic I worked at which put me on a path to medicine for the underserved. Also talked about my work as a medical assistant re-assuring my desire to work with patients.
  13. Secondaries: Felt confident in my secondaries overall, sent them back within a 2 week timeframe for all.
  14. LOR: Very confident in all of my letters from 3 professors, 1 PI from undergrad, 1 PI from current job.
Interviews: I thought all of my interviews went very well, and interviewers seemed pleased with our conversations throughout and after.

Weaknesses/concerns:
-I believe my school list is fairly top heavy, I will definitely focus on the schools closer to my MCAT range next cycle. However, I thought I had enough lower stat schools that would've liked my volunteer experience. I will also add DO schools next cycle.
-I was worried about only having ~10 total activities on my application (even after listing each research lab and position at homeless clinic as a different activity). Though, my hours in the activities I did list were fairly high. I thought the number of hours would make up for the smaller number of activities but maybe not.
-Interviews: I got 4 interviews which was reassuring but most ended in waitlists. Because of this I'm unsure I interviewed as well as I thought, or if I just didn't stand out enough to be given an acceptance.

I am looking for advice on if I should try to add more activities to my application next time around. I am thinking of quitting my medical assistant/clinical research position to start an MPH and have more time to volunteer on the side to beef up my activities section of my app. Any other advice is much appreciated though, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe most applicants on average get like 3 IIs, so you getting 4 IIs esp one from a T5 indicates to me that your stats/metrics are fine. Applicants tend to overestimate their interviewing sessions, so it's likely that you will need to practice your interviewing skills for your reapp should you not get off the WLs. I may be wrong, but I don't think a MPH will enhance your reapp as much as you think. You can always do a MPH when you get into medschool. I would stick with your medical assistant position, rewrite your PS and essays and get new eyes on them, and continue to grind.

SDN experts will surely provide you schools to reapply to. Was one of specialties you shadowed primary care?

Use this for more eyes on your essays.

I believe most applicants on average get like 3 IIs, so you getting 4 IIs esp one from a T5 indicates to me that your stats/metrics are fine. Applicants tend to overestimate their interviewing sessions, so it's likely that you will need to practice your interviewing skills for your reapp should you not get off the WLs. I may be wrong, but I don't think a MPH will enhance your reapp as much as you think. You can always do a MPH when you get into medschool. I would stick with your medical assistant position, rewrite your PS and essays and get new eyes on them, and continue to grind.

SDN experts will surely provide you schools to reapply to. Was one of specialties you shadowed primary care?

Use this for more eyes on your essays.
I appreciate the feedback! I will definitely hone my interviewing skills for next cycle.

Is an MPH just not worth doing now? I've heard some anecdotal stories of re-applicants doing an MPH and they believed it helped them get in. Not doubting you at all, just wondering why you don't think it will help. I also feel like I won't have much to add to my application next cycle since all I've been doing is continuing my gap year medical assistant job. Should I consider adding more volunteering or something so I have more to talk about in activities/secondaries if I don't do an MPH?

I also did not formally shadow a primary care doc, that is a good point. Since I'm interested in primary care and focused part of my application on it, I assume it would be worth it to shadow one before this cycle.

Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to defer to @LizzyM @Mr.Smile12 @candbgirl on their opinions whether a MPH will help you on your reapp. I just think that with 4 IIs, esp 1 from a T5, getting a MPH will add to an already stacked app metric/stats-wise that will be of little benefit to you. I can see it helping an applicant who has a less stellar app, but your app does not appear to be deficient to me.

As far as more volunteering, the hours in the homeless shelter are great. IMO, I don't think you need to do other volunteering, but if you have the time and want to, you might look into soup kitchens, Make A Wish or anything else where you work with those less fortunate than you.

I'm going to defer to @LizzyM @Mr.Smile12 @candbgirl on their opinions whether a MPH will help you on your reapp. I just think that with 4 IIs, esp 1 from a T5, getting a MPH will add to an already stacked app metric/stats-wise that will be of little benefit to you. I can see it helping an applicant who has a less stellar app, but your app does not appear to be deficient to me.

As far as more volunteering, the hours in the homeless shelter are great. IMO, I don't think you need to do other non-volunteering, but if you have the time and want to, you might look into soup kitchens, Make A Wish or anything else where you work with those less fortunate than you.
I didn’t reply to this thread so I’m not sure what to make of your response. The OP seems to be well qualified and has a good application. If anything he might have issues with interviewing. But it seems lots of people are ending up on Waitlists instead of receiving acceptances this cycle.

My bad. I've seen and read some of your posts and thought your input would be of value to the OP. If you don't want me to tag you in the future on posts, I won't.

As far as more volunteering, the hours in the homeless shelter are great. IMO, I don't think you need to do other volunteering, but if you have the time and want to, you might look into soup kitchens, Make A Wish or anything else where you work with those less fortunate than you.
Thanks so much, all this is very helpful!

I will chime in. The MPH will not do much for you most likely. How were your grade trends? Your GPA is fine, but maybe if there was a drop your senior year, that could have affected how schools perceived you (either not extending an II or waitlisting you while they think). More people have gotten on WLs during the past couple years of virtual interviewing, so you may come off them. If you share where you interviewed, that may help. Having one at something like UCLA or Michigan though already shows you were highly qualified. If you had mostly MMI interviews, becoming familiar with common pitfalls might help you in case you end up reapplying come May/June.

Agree with DV-T's thoughts on your non-clinical volunteering. Doing great, you could try some other places to have a chance to help different populations and fill out more slots on AMCAS. I have heard some adcoms don't like it when you don't use all 15 slots or close to it. You can use a hobby section for one and an awards section if you have something besides Dean's List.

I will chime in. The MPH will not do much for you most likely. How were your grade trends? Your GPA is fine, but maybe if there was a drop your senior year, that could have affected how schools perceived you (either not extending an II or waitlisting you while they think). More people have gotten on WLs during the past couple years of virtual interviewing, so you may come off them. If you share where you interviewed, that may help. Having one at something like UCLA or Michigan though already shows you were highly qualified. If you had mostly MMI interviews, becoming familiar with common pitfalls might help you in case you end up reapplying come May/June.

Agree with DV-T's thoughts on your non-clinical volunteering. Doing great, you could try some other places to have a chance to help different populations and fill out more slots on AMCAS. I have heard some adcoms don't like it when you don't use all 15 slots or close to it. You can use a hobby section for one and an awards section if you have something besides Dean's List.
Thanks for your feedback!

My GPA had an upward trend throughout undergrad, but interesting info, that could be helpful for others in a similar boat.

I did not get interviews at UCLA or Michigan, but I had 3 traditional and 1 MMI. The interviews besides the T5 were at a lower ranked NY school, a private T50, and a public T50.

Sounds like MPH may not be for me, thanks for clearing that up. I will definitely get involved with more volunteering, it's something I've been wanting to do but now have even more of a reason!

I appreciate all your help!

A T5 interview is still very impressive. I was just venturing a guess but the school would be at the same level as the two I mentioned. Chances are good at the T50 schools as some students there probably have multiple acceptances and will make their final decision once aid packages come in. Consider a letter of intent if you feel strongly about one of the schools. Georgetown I know really likes people who do that and say how great their school is.

A T5 interview is still very impressive. I was just venturing a guess but the school would be at the same level as the two I mentioned. Chances are good at the T50 schools as some students there probably have multiple acceptances and will make their final decision once aid packages come in. Consider a letter of intent if you feel strongly about one of the schools. Georgetown I know really likes people who do that and say how great their school is.
Good to know, thank you! I submitted a letter of intent to one of the T50 schools, hopefully it helps.

@DV-T @chilly_md

Thanks so much for both of your help, I just have one more quick question. I may end up having to relocate and leave my current medical assistant job (it would be on a good note though, I enjoy it and my bosses like me, just may leave for personal reasons). Would it look poorly from a consistency/dedication standpoint to find a new job in the healthcare field for this next gap year? I'm worried after y'all saying I should keep with my current one but it may not be possible.

It shouldn't be an issue and won't be. If ever asked in an interview, just explain you relocated and left on good terms

Hello! I applied to 36 MD schools this past cycle (all secondaries in by July/early August) and received 4 interview invites which resulted in 3 waitlists and 1 rejection. The 1 rejection was from a T5 school.
  1. cGPA: 3.80, sGPA: 3.65
  2. MCAT: 514 (129/129/128/128)
  3. State of residence: CA
  4. Race/ethnicity: ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: top CA public school
  6. Clinical experience: 1000+ hours medical assistant/clinical research assistant (now 2000+ hours by start of new cycle)
  7. Research experience: 600+ hours in 3 different labs w/ 2 publications (not first author on either)
  8. Shadowing experience: 60 hours in 3 specialties
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 700+ hours at homeless clinic with leadership position across all 4 years of undergrad, 70 hours volunteering at other homeless shelters.
  10. Other extracurricular activities: 100 hours teaching a class on health disparities, 200 hours of sports clubs at undergrad, and 1 non-sport hobby.
  11. School List: UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, UCI, Pitt, Emory, Cornell, Michigan, USC, Dartmouth, Einstein, Hofstra, NYMC, Kaiser, Rochester, VCU, Stony Brook, Wake Forest, BU, Colorado, Maryland, Albany, Rosalind Franklin, Eastern Virginia, Medical College of Wisconsin, Arizona- Phoenix, Vermont, Oakland Michigan, Tulane, Tufts, Jefferson, Temple, Drexel, GW, Georgetown, St. Louis.
  12. Personal Statement: Focused on my volunteer experiences at the homeless clinic I worked at which put me on a path to medicine for the underserved. Also talked about my work as a medical assistant re-assuring my desire to work with patients.
  13. Secondaries: Felt confident in my secondaries overall, sent them back within a 2 week timeframe for all.
  14. LOR: Very confident in all of my letters from 3 professors, 1 PI from undergrad, 1 PI from current job.
Interviews: I thought all of my interviews went very well, and interviewers seemed pleased with our conversations throughout and after.

Weaknesses/concerns:
-I believe my school list is fairly top heavy, I will definitely focus on the schools closer to my MCAT range next cycle. However, I thought I had enough lower stat schools that would've liked my volunteer experience. I will also add DO schools next cycle.
-I was worried about only having ~10 total activities on my application (even after listing each research lab and position at homeless clinic as a different activity). Though, my hours in the activities I did list were fairly high. I thought the number of hours would make up for the smaller number of activities but maybe not.
-Interviews: I got 4 interviews which was reassuring but most ended in waitlists. Because of this I'm unsure I interviewed as well as I thought, or if I just didn't stand out enough to be given an acceptance.

I am looking for advice on if I should try to add more activities to my application next time around. I am thinking of quitting my medical assistant/clinical research position to start an MPH and have more time to volunteer on the side to beef up my activities section of my app. Any other advice is much appreciated though, thanks!
Being an ORM in CA, your GPA is actually on the low side. In-state schools may not be in your favor. You may want to do more shadowing/service(as Gyn suggested) activities. This was my own experience, ORM, CA resident, GPA is a little lower than yours. I had a consultant to help PS, secondary, the interview practice/answer. I just matched neurosurgery. Agree with Goro, may want to add DO schools to your list

@DV-T @chilly_md

Thanks so much for both of your help, I just have one more quick question. I may end up having to relocate and leave my current medical assistant job (it would be on a good note though, I enjoy it and my bosses like me, just may leave for personal reasons). Would it look poorly from a consistency/dedication standpoint to find a new job in the healthcare field for this next gap year? I'm worried after y'all saying I should keep with my current one but it may not be possible.
I missed the question about leaving the clinical job, my bad. I agree with DV-T’s answer. You stayed a long while there already and have a good reason for leaving due to relocation.

Being an ORM in CA, your GPA is actually on the low side. In-state schools may not be in your favor. You may want to do more shadowing/service(as Gyn suggested) activities. This was my own experience, ORM, CA resident, GPA is a little lower than yours. I had a consultant to help PS, secondary, the interview practice/answer. I just matched neurosurgery. Agree with Goro, may want to add DO schools to your list
Sounds good, thanks for the advice. And congrats!