Potential for 0-6 pharm?

bp129

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK so Im currently a high school junior and currently got interested in this pharmacy and have read the aacp website like twice over.
so here are my stats

GPA

unweighted:3.2 (bleh)
weighted: 3.4 (bleh)
D in Algebra 2 but made up to an A
D in a Semester of AP chem Made up to a B
Drop in 2nd semester Ap Chem and currently retaking

list of Science courses taken and currently taking
Biology
Chemistry
Biotechnology
AP Chem (currently taking)
Sports Medicine
AP Physics B (Currently taking)

Math Courses Taken (in high school)
Algebra 2
Triginometry
Statistics
Precalculus

Extra Curriculars
VP of Operation Smile
3 years of band
Kendo
member of School Science Society
member of Pre Med society
good community service record
planning to job shadow over the summer

SAT
r- 660
m- 730
w- 750
so
r/m- 1390
total- 2140

Sat 2
Math 2c- 800
chem-800

planning to apply (0-6/early assurance)
MCPHS
Northeastern
St. Johns
Long Island
Drake
UOP

Planning to apply (regular undergrad)
Cal poly San Luis Opispo
UC Riverside
UC Irvine
Purdue

How do you think I stand up?

Should I go for any Early Descisions?

Should I forget 0-6/ early assurances entirely and just do 2 years prepharm?

Should I add any Schools to my list?

Anything I forgot?

DONT BE AFRAID TO BE BLUNT

Members don't see this ad.

If your GPA was a little higher i would've said you are most likely IN at St. JOhns (NY) pharmacy program. If they have early decision try to.

Your SAT and SAT II scores are excellent, among the pool of students they choose. Your GPA might be the only thing that brings you down. Your EC's could probably be better to offset but they are good none the less.

Realize though, LIU is not a guaranteed program. First they put you in for 2 years then screen students out. So you will really have to work it if thats where you end up. However on the other hand St.Johns is basically guarnateed with no pcat required. Good luck.

If I may ask, how did you study for your SAT? What did you use to practice or did you take prep courses?

Members don't see this ad :)
i didnt want to but ended up taking a prep course score went from 1970 (collegeboard blue book) to 2140(real test) if you end up taking one its only as useful as u want it to be

You'll have no problem getting into MCPHS. The gpa might be a bit low for St John's , which seems very number driven, and Northeastern but you can only try. It's good that you're going to shadow - make sure you mention it in your essays! If you can get a LOR from a pharmacist as well that might help overcome the GPA and most schools will look at an extra recommendation with no problem.

Being from the Northeast, I would add Wilkes and UB to the "consider" list. Both 2+4 with early assurance (Wilkes requires a low score on PCAT, UB has no PCAT if you're over a 3.5). They both have great programs and good financial aid.

When you're making your list, please remember that it doesn't do alot of good to get accepted to a school you can't afford! Alot of people can't afford Northeastern, even with co-ops. Run some numbers through college board's calculator so you know what approximately what your EFC will be next year. That's generally the bare minimum, not maximum, that it will cost.

But maybe you're only interested in those in major cities and/or don't need FA? If so, USP in Philly is very solid although a bit expensive.

We went through the process with 8 schools this year including MCPHS, UB, Wilkes, ACP, Duquesne, Butler, and USP. If any of them end up on your final list and you'd like some insights, including how FA works (or doesn't work), feel free to pm me.

Good luck!

If you are truly set on Pharmacy, I think early assurance is the way to go. I know of 6 people from my high school class of 2003 that went into pharmacy. I did a 0-6 and was the only one to get in after 2 years of pre-pharmacy courses. One person took three years of undergrad then went (7yrs). Three got a bachelors degree, worked for a year and then started pharm school this year (9 total years). Another one of us was applying to school this cycle, Im not sure how it turned out though(10yrs!).

Make sure pharmacy is what you really want to do. Shadow pharmacists in every setting to get a good feel of the profession. I personally never set foot in a pharmacy before I applied to my 0-6 program and dont think many of my classmates did extensive shadowing in high school either. I think this experience will give you a leg up on other applicants and shows an early committment.

ps. I went to one of the schools youre interested in. PM if you want to know more or have questions.

Question, for 0-6 Pharmacy. Do you have to take PCAT to get in, I know this is a stupid question but one I haven't found answered yet.

Shoot to go to Northeastern. They have an amazing pharmacy program and the best Co-op program in the country. Try to get scholarships too, because the school is costly. I got accepted, but probably won't be going there due to the money.

Question, for 0-6 Pharmacy. Do you have to take PCAT to get in, I know this is a stupid question but one I haven't found answered yet.

Depends on the school (mine didnt). Check each programs website.