Poster Presenters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kronickm

even par.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got an abstract accepted for poster presentation.

Looking for anyone who has/knows of any good templates or links to web sites with templates. Power point preferred.

I don't have the time to design one on my own from scratch, nor do I have the money to buy one. Most of the stuff I have seen with a google search sucks. Just curious if anyone has any hidden gems of template sites, or any that they used and liked.

Edit:
To clarify, I prefer the single large poster format as opposed to the numerous slides mounted individually on cardboad of some sort and then hung in order, that just looks amateurish to me. Plus the hospital is paying for the printing so why not get a nice big laminated poster...

Members don't see this ad.

Tried finding a way to post a poster of mine, but couldn't get it to attach. Here's a description of what I do:

I use a four-column format on posters that are 60'' x 48'' , separated by vertical lines, which you can find under Autoshapes. Top of the poster is my title, centered, bolded, and about size 72. Size 48 for the author line, also centered. At each upper corner, I'll put the logo of the school/hospital I'm working for. I'll use 32 size font for the body of the poster. All in Arial font. I use several sections, titles of which are in a box and bolded. They are, in order:

Intro - opens the poster, sells the reader on your idea

Clinical Significance - sells the clinician on your poster - 2 sentences max

Methods - broken into subheadings, describing the different steps in your protocol, as needed

Results - same as Methods, can broken down into subheadings to reflect different sources of data

Discussion - what do your results mean

Conclusion - Sum up your discussion, usually rephrasing clin sig. Optional.

References - optional, ref from your intro. You can also abbreviate your methods a bit if it involves a lengthy protocol by saying "as detailed by So-and-So [ref 1]",

Acknowledgments - who funded the project, who helped you. Can substitute with an icon of the conference you want to present at.

Always try to fill a line - any line not used is wasted space. Always use colors that differentiate well between text and background, but in a way that's pleasing to the eye (i.e. royal blue bkgrnd + yellow lettering = :thumbup:, hot pink bkgrnd + forest green lettering = :thumbdown:). Use pictures to save on space. Always reference pictures in the body ("this is detailed in Figure 1..."). Use a bullet-point or outline style - narrative just takes up too much space.

A lot of people go crazy and put everything on their posters, like a whole journal article. I am a fan of the Least Publishable Unit, and where posters are concerned it works well. Posters are meant to grab the eye and get people interested in your work. Too much text is oppressive and nobody will read it. If you don't have every detail, it's ok because you'll be on-hand to talk to them about it. People should be drawn to read it and get an idea of what you're doing in about a minute. If any more time is required, they'll lose interest.

thanks for the reply roomba. I was able to find a bunch of good templates with some diligence. The poster is complete and awaiting the conference. I on the other hand, am awaiting the device manufacturers/drug reps and their fancy dinners:D, not to mention open bars.