PostBacc Student: MD or DVM? What are the chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ARTistRea

Reaction score
Long story short, I graduated in May 2019 with a B.S. in Animal Science (graduated in 3 years). I am currently completing science prereqs post bacc, finishing my last three this semester with hopes of attending vet school. The more thought I have given to it, the more interest I have in med school. Am I crazy? I am hoping to apply to both med school and vet school this fall. I have extensive veterinary hours but no human medical hours yet, I am totally willing to but my butt to get them in the meantime though. I also plan to take the MCAT this summer. I am listing my current records below. Please tell me if I'm crazy or have a shot. Do I just stick with vet school or neither?

cGPA: 3.70 (3 W's)
sGPA: 3.52

GRE (working on improving, will take again):
Verbal- 154
Quant- 149
Analytical- 3.5

MCAT: have not yet taken, will take in the summer

Veterinary Hours: 1,750 (veterinary technician)

Animal Experience Hours: 3,500

Planned Human Clinical Hours: What is your suggested minimum? I am hoping to work at a fertility clinic and shadow anywhere I can, gaining at least 300 shadowing hours by October.

Research Hours: 100 (Animal welfare research trial)

Leadership: Undergraduate TA in an applied science class, facilitator in many university-sponsored events, undergraduate research assistant

EC's: Volunteering at the animal shelter and competing in canine sports

Texas Resident

Members don't see this ad.

With a ~515 MCAT, you should be a decently competitive applicant to MD, granted you're able to get significant clinical experience and some nonclinical volunteering hours. With a ~505 MCAT, you'll be competitive for DO schools. You might want to take another year to get these experiences to become more competitive for medical school.

However, I suggest you really reconsider your application plans- if you want to become a physician, apply to medical school. If you want to be a veterinarian, apply to vet school. Don't apply to both and base your entire life on which professional school accepts you first.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Status
Not open for further replies.