Postbac VS 2nd Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlbinoRhino_1

Reaction score
Hello All.

I'm theoretically starting Columbia's Premed Postbac this week but have been having huge reservations considering the financial burden (in the accelerated track, it'll cost me ~$80,000 and 18 months). I'm not necessarily concerned with the academics, but an additional $80,000 worth of debt before I even start medical school seems foolish (short of me getting into NYU...)

Despite the advantages this program offers (support, committee letter, linkage, etc.), I have turned my attention towards pursuing a second degree in order to satisfy the prereqs for medical school, as well as getting faculty letters.

I graduated from Hunter with BA in Literature (GPA: 3.795, with a B- in Chemistry), and have been informed that up to 90 credits from that degree can be applied for my second degree. I've worked in the medical industry in one way or another since I was 16, so finding volunteer or paid opportunities is not difficult.

I'd have to place into Calc at Hunter, and then the prereqs themselves would likely take two years.

Given that I wouldn't be able to start until Fall '19, the question is, does doing the prereqs at Hunter, regardless of actually completing the second degree, make more sense financially, strategically, temporally, or otherwise?

Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You could just do your pre-med courses at Hunter as non-degree student by paying per-credit CUNY tuition.

Reactions: 2 users
If the program helps you to become a physician even 1 year earlier than if you didn't do the program it is financially worth it. If you enroll in the program and fail to get into medical school it is obviously not worth it.

On a different note how do you apply to this program, take an acceptance, wait until the week it starts then get cold feet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Second degree is a waste of time for the purpose of medical school admissions. Given that your current GPA is high, choose the cheapest, accredited option, get a similar GPA and take the MCAT.

Never complicate something that does not need to be complicated. If gaining admission to medical school is our goal, you do not need a "fancy" post-bacc to get there.

Neither. Just DIY the classes and take the MCAT. No need for formal post-bacc OR 2nd degree (unless fall back plan for non-admission to medical school is PhD route)

If the program gets you a good chance to get into Columbia med school, do it. Free med school tuition will cover that 80k price tag. Not familiar with how strong the linkage is though .

One of my friends compared costs/reliability of getting into classes, and he decided to pay a little more (I think around 3-4k extra?) for a "2nd degree" at CSU Long Beach. He just took the classes he needed to for prereqs and a few upper division courses (since it's MUCH easier to get into classes as a registered student than a non-degree seeking one), and just dropped out of the degree.

If you can do something similar in NY, that's also an option. It won't look bad on you whatsoever for dropping out of the 2nd degree.

If the program gets you a good chance to get into Columbia med school, do it. Free med school tuition will cover that 80k price tag. Not familiar with how strong the linkage is though .
Columbia isn't the school with free tuition. NYU has free tuition.
I agree with doing a DIY though. And 80K for one year with a guaranteed linkage into a medical school is worth it. You'll be able to pay it back once your a physician if you're smart with your money.

Columbia isn't the school with free tuition. NYU has free tuition.
I agree with doing a DIY though. And 80K for one year with a guaranteed linkage into a medical school is worth it. You'll be able to pay it back once your a physician if you're smart with your money.

My choice of words was not correct. Not tuition free, but debt-free (or at least it should be relatively soon), which would still save the average person over six figures.