This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDbecomesMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm what most postbac-premed offerers consider a "career-changer." I didn't know what I wanted to do straight out of high school, and settled on studying my passion--music. I now will be graduating with my B.A. in Music in December, but over the course of my junior and senior year have realized that I have an incredible desire and call to work in medicine. I am interested in attending a postbac-premed program, hopefully, at a top school.

I have specific interest in the programs offered at Harvard Extension school, Johns Hopkins, and Duke.. but will do whatever it takes to become a doctor. Basically, I am looking for anyone with experience at any of these OR any other post-bcc premed programs. Is it difficult to get in? For reference, I have a 3.86 GPA which will be a 3.9 by the time i graduate in December. I have a minor in religion, and am graduating from a private religious university. (not ivy-league or a state school, but accredited and a good school.) Do you think i will have trouble getting into those programs? What can I do to help myself out stand out? I have heard from others on this site that the HES program is open enrollment, but on their website it describes entry as competitive..

Anything you would like to say or share about your postbac-premed experience is highly welcomed.. thanks so much!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken medical school prerequisites yet during your time in undergrad?

Have you taken medical school prerequisites yet during your time in undergrad?

No, I haven't. The only science I was required to take was an intro-level biology, and I completed that, but no other pre-reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best bet is to do a DIY post-bacc. Go back and complete your prerequisites at your university. It is the least cost effective between both options.

Usually those SMP (special masters programs) require you to have taken the MCAT and have taken the prerequisites for medical school. On top of that those programs are extremely expensive.

Your best bet is to do a DIY post-bacc. Go back and complete your prerequisites at your university. It is the least cost effective between both options.

Usually those SMP (special masters programs) require you to have taken the MCAT and have taken the prerequisites for medical school. On top of that those programs are extremely expensive.

Thanks for the response. I would like to do my pre-reqs outside of my current university-- it is great for things such as literature, music, and philosophy, but not very prominent in the scientific community. I assume thought that I could do a DIY post-bacc at any university?

Thanks for the response. I would like to do my pre-reqs outside of my current university-- it is great for things such as literature, music, and philosophy, but not very prominent in the scientific community. I assume thought that I could do a DIY post-bacc at any university?

Oh, of course you can! I didn't know that about your university. But yes, you can do it at any university.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, of course you can! I didn't know that about your university. But yes, you can do it at any university.

thanks for clarifying for me; I appreciate your input. An additional question-- would I just apply to the new university as an undergrad to take the pre-reqs? Didn't know if being a graduate of another university would complicate anything.

Also, assuming that I keep my GPA up with my pre-reqs and do well on the MCAT, do you think from the stats i provided initially would make me a good Med School Candidate? I've heard that med-schools like seeing students that pursued their passion in college (me-- music), but then found there ultimate calling-- medicine. Not sure if that assessment is true!

thanks for clarifying for me; I appreciate your input. An additional question-- would I just apply to the new university as an undergrad to take the pre-reqs? Didn't know if being a graduate of another university would complicate anything.

Also, assuming that I keep my GPA up with my pre-reqs and do well on the MCAT, do you think from the stats i provided initially would make me a good Med School Candidate? I've heard that med-schools like seeing students that pursued their passion in college (me-- music), but then found there ultimate calling-- medicine. Not sure if that assessment is true!

Yes. What you would do is apply to the new university seeking your second bachelors degree. Most students doing DIY post-bacc just finish any remaining pre-reqs.

Definitely. Assuming you get good grades on your post-bacc and you score high on your MCAT (511 or higher) and apply braodly, then yes I do think you have a shot at many interview invites.

I heard that having a different major makes you more unique. Given the fact that I heard that back in 2011-2012, it could be different now.