Post Your ROL 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrWuStar

YUM
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just being a good kid and making a new post, rather than reviving a 2-year old one, like the mods requested. Because I am seriously bored and have some time to kill. I'm not ready to post my ROL yet, but I'll C&P any 2008 ROLs that were posted on that other thread.

East Coast:
1) Univ Washington
2) UCSF
3) U Penn
4) Cambridge
5) U Pitt
6) UCSD

josehernandez94:
1. Brown
2. Cambridge
3. MGH-McLean
4. Dartmouth
5. Longwood
6. UMass
7. BU
8. Yale

Post your 2008 ROL here!!!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, Dr.WuStar. In acknowledgement, I hereby post this rank list, to keep the thread rolling. :D

1 North Carolina (45) 18-0 1765
2 Memphis (24) 16-0 1739
3 Kansas (3) 17-0 1678
4 UCLA 16-1 1578
5 Georgetown 13-2 1439
6 Tennessee 14-1 1404
7 Duke 14-1 1362
8 Washington State 14-1 1342
9 Indiana 14-1 1215
10 Texas A&M 15-2 1184
11 Michigan State 15-2 988
12 Butler 16-1 985
13 Marquette 13-2 955
14 Dayton 14-2 793
15 Pittsburgh 15-2 670
16 Vanderbilt 16-1 658
17 Wisconsin 14-2 649
18 Mississippi 15-1 612
19 Texas 13-3 592
20 Xavier 14-4 395
21 Miami (FL) 14-2 286
22 Arizona State 13-2 257
23 Rhode Island 15-2 196
24 Clemson 14-3 187
25 Villanova

Thanks, Dr.WuStar. In acknowledgement, I hereby post this rank list, to keep the thread rolling. :D

2 Memphis (24) 16-0 1739
3 Kansas (3) 17-0 1678
4 UCLA 16-1 1578
5 Georgetown 13-2 1439
6 Tennessee 14-1 1404
7 Duke 14-1 1362
9 Indiana 14-1 1215
10 Texas A&M 15-2 1184
12 Butler 16-1 985
13 Marquette 13-2 955
14 Dayton 14-2 793
15 Pittsburgh 15-2 670
16 Vanderbilt 16-1 658
17 Wisconsin 14-2 649
18 Mississippi 15-1 612
19 Texas 13-3 592
20 Xavier 14-4 395
21 Miami (FL) 14-2 286
23 Rhode Island 15-2 196
24 Clemson 14-3 187
25 Villanova

Whooosh...Must be hard going to so many interviews;) I hope you match at one of your top choices:D

Go Spartans:p

Members don't see this ad :)
My top 5 programs (in no particular order):
University of Pittsburgh
UCLA-NPI
Albert Einstein/Montefiore
Mayo Clinic
University of Cincinnati

2 Memphis (24) 16-0 1739
3 Kansas (3) 17-0 1678
4 UCLA 16-1 1578
5 Georgetown 13-2 1439
6 Tennessee 14-1 1404
7 Duke 14-1 1362
9 Indiana 14-1 1215
10 Texas A&M 15-2 1184
12 Butler 16-1 985
13 Marquette 13-2 955
14 Dayton 14-2 793
15 Pittsburgh 15-2 670
16 Vanderbilt 16-1 658
17 Wisconsin 14-2 649
18 Mississippi 15-1 612
19 Texas 13-3 592
20 Xavier 14-4 395
21 Miami (FL) 14-2 286
23 Rhode Island 15-2 196
24 Clemson 14-3 187
25 Villanova

what do the numbers next of the program name indicate.

pardon me for my ignorance.

thank u

Tonight I accidentally saw the # of Quota Options (NRMP director) reduced in one of the programs I ranked. Does it mean that program fills that spot from other track, eg Med/Psy? Do you know how many days does it take to have the # changed effectively?

ok here goes:

1-LIJ
2-Einstein
3-St. Luke's
4-Mt. Sinai (yes I said 4!)
5-Beth Israel

I went with how much I felt at home :D

Good matches to all!!

My ROL (tentative)
St Vincents
USC
UIC
Banner Good Sam
UNSOM (Las Vegas)
Albert Einstein
Rosalind Franklin
Thomas Jefferson
Temple
Howard U

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Loma Linda
2. UCI
3. USC
4. Cedars-Sinai
5. Harbor-UCLA
6. UCSD
7. UCLA-San Fernando Valley

Who are going to be my fellow residents? I can't wait to find out...

New to this forum, but here's my list:

1. Scott & White, Temple
2. Good Sam, Phoenix
3. UTHSC, San Antonio
4. UTMB, Galveston
5. USF
6. UCLA - SFV
7. U of F
8. U of Cinn
9. Wright State

Anyone else interested in Temple?

1. Loma Linda
2. UCI
3. USC
4. Cedars-Sinai
5. Harbor-UCLA
6. UCSD

California or bust, eh? So why Loma Linda over UCI or even UCSD? Personal question, I know. No need to answer if you don't want to. Thought I'd ask, though.

All are great programs--I ranked based on where I felt most comfortable and other personal reasons.

1. Loma Linda
2. UCI
3. USC
4. Cedars-Sinai
5. Harbor-UCLA
6. UCSD

Maybe me :). I have 5 program from your ROL in my list plus 4 diffirent ones. I didn't rank them yet because I didn't finish my interview season - 3 morre program left.
I like Loma Linda a lot but I will not rank it at the fist place for geographical reason.

a minor revision to mine

1. Cambridge
2. Brown
3. MGH-McLean
4. Dartmouth
5. Longwood
6. UMass
7. BU
8. Yale

My top 5 have each been #1 at some point, and their order may change drastically, but if certifying today:

1) Pittsburgh
2) Cincinnati
3) UNC
4) Cambridge
5) MGH/McLean
6) Longwood
7) Washington
8) Michigan
9) Duke
10) Northwestern
11) Stanford

My top 5 have each been #1 at some point, and their order may change drastically, but if certifying today:

1) Pittsburgh
2) Cincinnati
3) UNC
4) Cambridge
5) MGH/McLean
6) Longwood
7) Washington
8) Michigan
9) Duke
10) Northwestern
11) Stanford

Nice list. I'm suprised, however, that you don't have UMich higher, given that you have Pitt #1 and Mich is a very similar program.

Nice list. I'm suprised, however, that you don't have UMich higher, given that you have Pitt #1 and Mich is a very similar program.

Michigan is a fabulous program, and I could certainly see it moving upwards. I'd say that the "how much I like it" distance between my #1 and #8 is actually remarkably low, and I would be seriously happy at the first 9 of those programs.

Why you don't like Stanford?

1. Dartmouth:biglove:
2. UMass
3. Maine
4. UConn
5. U of Colorado
6. U of Utah
7. BU

C'mon, man-- move to beantown; it's awesome here. Especially if you're from NY; if you move to Boston, you could actually live in a town that wins a game every now and then.

p.s. would you be willing to pm some information about your stats and what school you attend so I have an idea of what is competitve? (board scores, third year grades, etc. If you're from NY, then I'm really sorry about the joke above. Okay, I'm not THAT sorry.)

1) Pittsburgh
2) Cincinnati
3) UNC
4) Cambridge
5) MGH/McLean
6) Longwood
7) Washington
8) Michigan
9) Duke
10) Northwestern
11) Stanford

Why you don't like Stanford?

Stanford was pretty inflexible compared to most programs I interviewed at, and could not offer any protected research time for someone interested in child psych. They don't have a pool of lower income patients except for the VA. Palo Alto, while a wonderful place for some, would be suboptimal for my family. Some of the residents were some of the least happy/odd group of folks I met on the entire trail, and when one resident was giving me honest feedback at the interview lunch, another resident snapped at him that if they didn't fill (as happened a few years ago), it would be his fault (and he obviously wasn't kidding... it was a really creepy interaction). There were also some aspects of the interview day that were just personally grating.

Saying all that, one of my best friends is ranking them #1, and she has great reasons to do so. For most folks, I'd say it's a prestigious program with a reasonable workload, balanced training, in a highly desirable but expensive area, an excellent child training program, and plenty of affluent patients willing to pay for psychotherapy. But it wasn't for me.

I think I've finally settled on the order of my list. I would be thrilled to match at any of my top 4, and happy enough if I matched at any of the others.

1. Columbia
2. Cornell
3. Mt. Sinai
4. St. Vincent's
5. Albert Einstein - Montefiore
6. Long Island Jewish
7. St. Luke's-Roosevelt
8. Northwestern

I'm asking for advice on the top portion of my rank list and for the bottom portion:

Top Portion:
mt. sinai, harvard longwood, and U Penn.
--any thoughts/opinions for a number one? I DO like new york city the best, but just don't know that much about philly or boston. Also, maybe St. Vincent's because of NYC and great location.

Second Half:
northwestern, emory, MUSC, Colorado

Thanks tons for any input.

Top three are all high echelon academic programs, will get solid training at all of them. Probably most work at longwood in terms of hours but good solid all around training and the Harvard name. Sinai is becoming more research focused but is also connected to probably the most prestigious psychoanalytic program in the country (although many believe full blown analysis is a dying breed and that analytic program is very wedded to Freud). Penn is without question the best academic "research" place of the three you mentioned and has access to the highest quality CBT done in the country. It is a very well rounded place. Philly of course, does not have the cache of New York or Boston but it is the most affordable city and great restaurants there (but definitely not New York).

I would say St. Vincents is a significant step down in terms of quality of academics but if New York is a must for you, go for it. I can't really speak to the clinical training. There certainly is something wonderful about being in New York. Also, think about where you might want to settle and what you want to do in your future. That matters. If you want to do private practice in a certain area, training there will make a huge difference.

Best,
worriedwell

I'm asking for advice on the top portion of my rank list and for the bottom portion:

Top Portion:
mt. sinai, harvard longwood, and U Penn.
--any thoughts/opinions for a number one? I DO like new york city the best, but just don't know that much about philly or boston. Also, maybe St. Vincent's because of NYC and great location.

Second Half:
northwestern, emory, MUSC, Colorado

Thanks tons for any input.

1. UCLA/NPI (CA)
2. University of Pittsburgh/WPIC (PA)
3. University of Cincinnati (OH)
4. Albert Einstein/Montefiore (NY)
5. Mayo Clinic Rochester (MN)
6. George Washington University (DC)
7. Dartmouth-Hitchcock (NH)
8. Mount Sinai (NY)

My criteria were mostly based on solid general psychiatry training, strong child psychiatry, and opportunities for clinical research.

thanks worriedwell, i just hope i get one of my top 3. Good luck to everyone in getting your top choice or at least number 2!

Tonight I accidentally saw the # of Quota Options (NRMP director) reduced in one of the programs I ranked. Does it mean that program fills that spot from other track, eg Med/Psy? Do you know how many days does it take to have the # changed effectively?

If you are talking about a pgy 1 position, the program can't take anyone outside the match. it's possible that the program decided to reduce the number of interns and increase the # of trainees in other years (e.g., in the pgy 2 class)

If you are talking about a pgy 1 position, the program can't take anyone outside the match. it's possible that the program decided to reduce the number of interns and increase the # of trainees in other years (e.g., in the pgy 2 class)

I don't get it, what about pre-match? Is it possible that, for example, a program can have 12 slots, fill 2 via pre-match and still advertise that they have 12 slots left? That seems a little unfair in a system that's supposed to 'favor the applicant'.

My understanding is that there is no legal prematch for internship in psychiatry. If you know of a place that is offering under-the-table spots, the world would love to know.

My understanding is that there is no legal prematch for internship in psychiatry. If you know of a place that is offering under-the-table spots, the world would love to know.

It is not legal to offer a US senior a prematch, but it is legal to offer an independent applicant (usually IMG) a prematch spot, as long as the program reduces its quota accordingly before the Jan 31 deadline.

It is not legal to offer a US senior a prematch, but it is legal to offer an independent applicant (usually IMG) a prematch spot, as long as the program reduces its quota accordingly before the Jan 31 deadline.

I would add DOs and non-senior(for lack of a better word I can think of) AMGs to the list of independent applicants.

1. MGH/McLean
2. Cornell
3. Columbia
4. NYU
5. UCLA
6. Stanford
7. University of Washington
8. UCSF
9. Yale

1. MGH/McLean
2. Cornell
3. Columbia
4. NYU
5. UCLA
6. Stanford
7. University of Washington
8. UCSF
9. Yale

It seems like everyone here is ranking the same programs. What about all the other places??

I think people are afraid to 'show their hand' just yet. Wait until the deadline, and then it'll be out of our control.

I think people are afraid to 'show their hand' just yet. Wait until the deadline, and then it'll be out of our control.

"Know when to hold them and know when to show them"...

Emory
Baylor
MGH
U Pitt/WPIC
UIC
U of Cinci TB Program

Then lower on the list: JH, NYU, Stanford, UMass, Rush

UC Irvine
Loma Linda
OHSU
U of Southern California
Vanderbilt
U of Utah
Las Vegas
U of North Carolina
U of Alabama Birmingham

.......most likely

1) Mount Sinai
2) Columbia
3) Cornell
4) Yale
5) NYU
6) Einstein

Good luck to all! :laugh:

Nice list!! Mount Sinai is a terrific school, of course, just like the others you mentioned. What attracts you there in particular? Thanks in advance for any insight...

1) Nationally connected PD who has committed his entire career to psychiatric education. From what I hear, he doesn't just work full time, he WORKS full time. Plus a second full-time program director. Very strong administration and support for the residency program.
2) Smart, friendly, and fun residents. They had a reception for applicants on the evening before my interview, and I just felt at home with them.
3) Excellent psychotherapy training, according to the residents with whom I spoke
4) Very flexible - the entire fourth year is essentially elective time. Even time allowed for electives overseas, which I find to be very progressive and potentially enlightening.
5) Friendly faculty. Very interesting research across the spectrum with an informal atmosphere. A friend of mine is a third year resident there and is involved in research. He's treated as a colleague and not a scut-monkey.
6) Exceptionally diverse patient population
7) New York City, and a great location in the city as well
8) Shall I go on?

I'm pretty sure with my #1 and #2
Could you please help me with others
- UN Reno
- UCSF Fresno
- UCLA San Fernando V
- USC
- Sedars-Sinai
- Loma Linda
- OHSU

I'm pretty sure with my #1 and #2
Could you please help me with others
- UN Reno
- UCSF Fresno
- UCLA San Fernando V
- USC
- Sedars-Sinai
- Loma Linda
- OHSU

UCLA San fernando was a very friendly program. Heard some different accounts of Cedar Sinai. What are your #1 and #2?