Post where you matched and stats (if you dare)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

normalforce

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
On Thursday post where you matched at this thread. Good luck. I matched and will post when I find out (along with stats cause I found it helpful from a previous thread, and interesting).

NF

Members don't see this ad.

I'll start this thing out since I matched one month ago (osteopathic). Headed to Michigan State University PM&R program!!!! Good luck to all!

PeeDee said:
I'll start this thing out since I matched one month ago (osteopathic). Headed to Michigan State University PM&R program!!!! Good luck to all!

Congrats! Dr. Andary is one of the nicest program directors I have ever met, and while you will work hard, you will get great training there!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a noob here but I have been lurking for quite some time.

Found out today I matched at UAB Birmingham in PM&R :D

Anyone else going to Alabama?

Hey all matched to RIC. I am very excited and very, very happy :D

For next year's crew, here are the stats (b/c people will be asking on this board)

DO/MBA
top 10% of class
USMLE I: 230
COMLEX I: 629
NO research other than undergrad.
Lots of leadership and extracurricular stuff.

Good luck to all and enjoy it!

NF

I matched at Mayo-I could not be happier!

:luck: :luck: :luck:

MAYO BABY! See ya there macman, give me a PM, I may have met you on the interview trail.

Congrats Normalforce, I was hoping we might end up at the same program. Oh well.

I'll post other stuff later.

Congrats fella's.

It's surreal how this is all over...what a relief :barf:

On my way to Kessler... :horns: Rock On!

Time to drink...shots all around!

Stats:

D.O.
-COMLEX: nothing special/never took USMLE
-No class ranks...but I assume I am in the top 50%
-1 LOR from a physiatrist, 1 from anesthesia, 1 from rheum, 1 from IM (many programs brought up the fact that they like my divesity of letters from different but related specialties)
-Honors preceptorship in Rheumatology through the ACR for 8 weeks as a 1st year medical student
-1st Author on a published Case Report in Journal of Pain Medicine
-Attended and presented an Abstracts at a major convention
-Worked on a few research projects during 2nd year and on.
-Gold Humanism Honors Society.
-Plenty of extracirricular and leadership activities
-Worked my ass off at every elective...everywhere I rotated told me I was functioning at the level of a resident in my early 4th year. I am pretty sure this is what put me over the edge...along with my research; people never cared that I published, but the subject matter was always a hit.

Enjoy the rest of 4th year...internship usually sucks. :D

Go on a vacation before you start or something. I went to Europe. Best thing I could have ever done for myself. Especially when I was getting called at 3AM for SICU vent ABGs. I would always think back to my time in the Greek islands and, for a brief moment, it wasn't so bad. :)

Going to St. Jo's in Ann Arbor and then the University of Michigan. Anybody else going to Michigan?

Congrats to everyone who matched, and to those that don't know whats going to happen after next year, good luck. If you remain committed to PM&R, I think things will have a way of working themselves out in the end.

I have a request from a sad and gloomy person that didn't match this year! : )

Will you lucky dudes post what your credentials are so us orphans can really understand what a "stellar" applicant looks like. I'm very curious who all these positions went to and what I need to do to improve upon myself.

What medical school do you attend?

MD or DO?

Board scores? USMLE? COMLEX?

Who were your LOR's from? PD's? Did you do a rotation at where you matched?

What other experience do you have that relates to PM&R?

Any research experience?

Other degrees or training?

Extracurricular activities

Honors society?

Any or all you wish to share I know would be of help to us that didn't match!

Thanks and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Headed to Emory ...

Stats:

MD
USMLE I: 209
USMLE II: 220
Top third of my class ... I think?

PM me if you want more details!

Good luck to all.

I'm headed to the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor!
I can't wait to get started.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind, could you tell us a little more about yourselves? I'm also interested in UM's program for next year's match, and I would love to know what they are looking for in an applicant-- apparently, both of you have got it : ).

Thanks for your time, and congratulations to everyone!

- APDoc

Matched at my #1, MAYO

-MD at mid tier school
-Undergrad was Exercise and Sports Science where I did some biomechanics research
-no AOA
-Step 1- 225
-Step 2- 249 (Only posted b/c I took it early, and it was mentioned, positively)
-Absolutely CRUSHED Step 2CS (snicker)
-Did 2 aways, got 2 lors
-4 lors, 2 pm&r, 1 med, 1 ortho
-no research

PM for any other info

CONGRATS AT MATCHING TO KESSLER!!! Thank you for sharing your stats with us! You mentioned that you took the COMLEX. Would you mind sharing what score you got on them? Where else did you interview? Did you do an away rotation at Kessler? Have any other connections?

staydin said:
Congrats fella's.

It's surreal how this is all over...what a relief :barf:

On my way to Kessler... :horns: Rock On!

Time to drink...shots all around!

Stats:

D.O.
-COMLEX: nothing special/never took USMLE
-No class ranks...but I assume I am in the top 50%
-1 LOR from a physiatrist, 1 from anesthesia, 1 from rheum, 1 from IM (many programs brought up the fact that they like my divesity of letters from different but related specialties)
-Honors preceptorship in Rheumatology through the ACR for 8 weeks as a 1st year medical student
-1st Author on a published Case Report in Journal of Pain Medicine
-Attended and presented an Abstracts at a major convention
-Worked on a few research projects during 2nd year and on.
-Gold Humanism Honors Society.
-Plenty of extracirricular and leadership activities
-Worked my ass off at every elective...everywhere I rotated told me I was functioning at the level of a resident in my early 4th year. I am pretty sure this is what put me over the edge...along with my research; people never cared that I published, but the subject matter was always a hit.

chauffeur said:
I'm headed to the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor!
I can't wait to get started.

Kudos, congratulations!!! Yahoo to you! I am so happy for all of you. Chauffeur...would you mind sharing your stats with us?

MD or DO?

Which boards did you take?

Scores?

Class Rank?

What and Where PM&R rotations did you do?

How many LOR's?

Honors?

Extracurricular?

Undergrad studies?

Research experience?

Other connections?

It's pretty obvious from even the few people who have put their stats up that there is no magic equation that's going to GUARANTEE you a spot in any residency program.

And the people you will compete with next year will have as varied qualities as the ones posted here.

You should place more emphasis on how you can improve your application. Some things can be changed in your application(RESEARCH EXPERIENCE, ELECTIVE EVALUATIONS, EXTRACURRICULARS, LORS). Some things can't(BOARD SCORES, CLASS RANK, CLERKSHIP GRADES). It's up to you to figure out what things you can enhance in your application at this point.

It's understandable that you are upset with how things have turned out. But you're not the only one this year(although I'm sure it feels like it). Many qualified people either did not match or did not get one of their top choices.

None of the applicants really knew what went on in that board room when the PM&R departments came up with their rank list. For all they knew, it came down to darts to a picture on a wall 10 ft away.

If you really want to know what in your application was lacking that kept you from being placed at the tops of all their lists, I suggest you wait a few weeks(give the programs a chance to get all the paperwork they need to get together for the new interns to sign) and have a sit down with one of the program directors or chairmans. Their input and suggestions will be most useful of all. Especially considering they are the ones that are going to make up the list for 2006.

Good luck again. Perserverance doesn't go unrewarded. I'm living proof of that. :)

Matched at UCLA :D 1st choice!

DO
-middle of the class
-Step 1- 230
-comlex 1-570
-diverse background
-did electives at the program :thumbup:
-no research

congrats and good luck to all.

To put how ridiculous the whole rank/match thing is into retrospect, let me share one experience I had while I worked as an attending at a reputable NYC program, where I used to interview applicants. One applicant came crying into my office a few days shortly after her interview. I had not been there the day she was interviewed. It was leaked to her by one of the chief residents(who told everyone that he had a crush on her and wanted to desperately get her attention) that her interviews did not go very well and he actually told her where she ranked for that interview day-at the very bottom. After learning this information, she came to my office pleading that I call the PD on her behalf, since she was doing an elective at my hospital site. She brought her college and medical school transcript copies-the highest honors you can imagine from a top Ivy League college and every rotation in one of the most elite medical schools in the country, along with publications in prestigious opthalmology journals. So i called the PD and she told me that three other attendings from our program were calling on her behalf bc she had gone crying into their offices also. The PD told me she felt something about the applicant that just bothered her and she could not pinpoint it. One of the other attendings the applicant went to was the vice chair of the program I worked at and he was equally impressed with her paperwork as most of us were. He went to the chairman and insisted that this girl be ranked very highly bc it would look bad politically in the eyes of the med school(which we were all affiliated with) she wanted to come to our program and did not match with us. Her husband had just matched there in on of the earlier specialty matches. So the vice chair convinced the chair to force the PD to rank her number one, which the PD grudgingly did, but never told the applicant that she had reranked her number one. In the meantime the applicant interviewed at another local program and was received with grandeur that she expected, including a personal meeting with the dept chairman. I met the applicant after the match( I had not seen our matchlist yet), so i congratulatd her for matching in our program since I knew the PD had been forced to rank her #1. THe applicant told me I was mistaken bc she actually ended up ranking the other program first instead bc the PD at my program never told her she had changed her rank, and the applicant did not want to be insulted by not matching in her first choice, and told me she preferred the attention she received from the men in charge at the other program. A year later, I found out she never started her rehab residency at the other program because she was stealing coats from her co-interns in the middle of winter during her medical internship and was not permitted to complete her internship. A categorical medical intern from her internship program quickly took her spot and he has been a great rehab resident. There are countless bizarre stories like this.

Congratulations to everyone! I think that RehabMD makes the point well: This can be a *VERY* idiosyncratic process. Programs and applicants are always amazed at how things work out.

I encourage everyone to get involved and stay involved with your new specialty. We are a small, not well recognized, field taking care of very vulnerable, often multiply dumped, patients.

Now for the NPR-esque pledgedrive statement: If you found SDN and/or www.scutwork.com to be useful resources throughout this process, please give back to the community. Post reviews of residency programs that you liked and didn't like (be fair and balanced), add your name to the resident roster on this forum, join your Academy (www.aapmr.org) and go to the AAPM&R website and sign up to be a medical student mentor, let your medical school's office of student affairs know that you're willing to talk to under-classmen about PM&R, and read the latest posts on SDN on late call nights.

Welcome.

I hated the match process. I ended up accepting a total of 21 interviews or so.... 8 for PM&R and 13 for internship. For PM&R I interviewed at UCLA, UC Irvine, RIC, Michigan, Baylor Houston / UT Houston, Baylor Dallas, LSU, and U of Colorado. I did a rotation at UC Irvine in August 2004, and I had a GREAT feeling about the place. Even after my subsequent away rotations and interviews, UC Irvine still remained my favorite spot. I spent a crapload of money traveling and on hotels to find out that the first was the best :oops:

I'm going to UW, before that I'll do prelim medicine in Austin, Texas. Couldn't be happier with how it all ended up. If there's anyone else out there heading to UW, let me know!

Celebrate everyone...

greetings and congrats to all who matched....

I'm headed for Spaulding, which was my first choice. Interesting to note that I did not rotate there and interviewed with 4 other people who did. I really just tried to have the best interview that I could.

My advice (for what it is worth)
1. Every interview is different, so explore options for how you answer questions. For example, I had three interviews at U of M. One was the "academic side, one was purely "getting to know you" side and one was along the lines of "your interest and aptitude in rehab" side. There were no pat answers for this interview!
2. If you put something in your app like "I love to read" or "I speak Spanish fluently", then make sure you have an answer for a question about your favorite new author or book. And make sure you can answer a question in Spanish! I put that I spoke medical Spanish, which I do, and then my interviewer asked me a question about how much I used my Spanish in practice.
3. Make your application as compelling as you can.
A. Why rehab? Every field "helps people," so why is rehab what you wanted?
B. Are you an older student? Tell your story.
C. Do you have previous experience in rehab (yourself or someone in your family?) That's important.
4. Don't be desperate - you can answer questions about why you have less experience in PM&R than another applicant or how you got to this field late, or whatever. An important aspect of the interview is how you act. Practice this! Use another student, an intern, someone at your school. Practice answering questions that have nothing to do with rehab and everythig to do with you being comfortable answering questions.
My best interviews were those that had none of the basic questions. They were both at Harvard, and they both addressed something in the application and they had nothing to do with test scores or grades.

But for those of you who feel a need to know...
DO school, top 15%
COMLEX I 690, USMLE 232
COMLEX II 610, USMLE 250
Published in rehab throught the RIC summer externship program.

best wishes to everyone in the coming year. Congratulation on graduation!

electra :)

Electra makes many great points. While strong boards and good grades do help get interviews, the interview itself is very important. Not for you to brag or anything like that, but to really show your true personality and willingness to work hard and drive/motivation for PM&R. All of you going in for next year, remember that. Be yourself, relax, smile, smile again, and be honest and true to yourself. If you do these things it will only help your chances. I matched to RIC without doing a visiting elective. I simply told my story, smiled, laughed with my interviewers, and was sincere. Best of luck to the Class of 2006 and congrats to all that had a successful match. I am so stoked!!! :horns:

I will update my previous post with the stats/info requested by Treeoflife

Matched at Mayo for PM&R
Umass for Prelim Med.

MD or DO?

DO, OMM Fellow

Which boards did you take?

COMLEX only (took part two this January)

Scores?

High 600s on Step1 (not sure exactly) , Step 2 scores not avail. to programs

Class Rank?

top 10%

What and Where PM&R rotations did you do?
BU-Intro to PM&R
Spaulding-ditto w/ work on abstract that was published later

How many LOR's?

One from each program above (PM&R), one from MGH Neuro, one from OMM chairman at my school (I am OMM fellow), in retrospect IM sub-I letter would have been good idea? or similar

Honors?

SSP (DO version of AOA?)

Extracurricular?

Nothing special...did not have community service etc.
Did a lot with school's student government & OMM fellow's national assn.

Undergrad studies?

Econ. from small liberal arts

Research experience?

Some OMM research-not yet published
PM&R/Pain abstract published, not primary author

Other connections?
I did not rotate where I matched.

I would say that rotations can cut both ways-This of course applys to all specialties but probably particularly to Rehab where they are very focused on team players and personality fits for a program.

In terms of general info keep in mind that programs will not expect you to be a wiz at PM&R but will expect that you know the basics of IM and other
rotation etique (SP?).

I also feel that although good 'numbers' are helpful to get interviews that your interview performance is probably one of the most important parts of your package. Don't expect to be wooed regardless of your numbers-only two programs out of 12 complimented or even mentioned my scores/ranking, most asked about more personal things.

I was pretty shocked by how many programs either misread or did not read ERAS at all. Be prepared to recite your ERAS for an interviewer who flipped through it for 15 seconds before you walked in the door. :eek:

I would agree with above posters that applying to a lot of programs is a good idea b/c you never know what you think of a program until you go there and check it out. Being from the east coast I did not think I would want to rank any midwest program highly but was really impressed by a couple on my interview trips and east coast programs I thought I would love left me underwhelmed.

happy trails! (pun intended) :luck:

new to posting, but have been an onlooker for some time.

very happy and excited about going to baylor. :) stats are good, but i feel

less important than compassion and interest in the patients/field. that often

really shows. 2 pd's said app.'s were up 20% this year over last.. so,

congrats to those matched and sincere best wishes to those unmatched.

For those who didnt match... I hate to ask, but since we are being inundated with success stories, would anyone be willing to share a quick summary of their stats or why they think they didnt match... screwed up on the rank list? bad interviews? poor performance on a rotation or something? Im not trying to pour salt on wounds here so please dont take it that way, I just wanna whether folks with sub 600 comlex's stand a chance at the top programs ?
If you would rather email me or send a PM please please feel free
:scared:

Congrats everyone! I've been sort of trolling around, but have been actively reading as I am enthusiastic about PM&R, but not completely set on it yet as I have yet to attain some outpatient clinical experience as well as gain exposure to other areas of PM&R such as pain management. (So many things to be interested in)

I was curious whether there was any other site for residency feedback besides scutwork.com. As many interviews as there were (and clerkships at these sites), this past year hasn't seen a ton of new entries for interview or rotation experiences. I understand how busy being on the interview trail can be, but I think the rest of us are always looking for more information and insight to a lot of these programs in the future.

Thanks again and congrats!