Post-Undergrad Management

Shockwave451

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. So I'm a high school senior who is like a lot of people thinking too far ahead into the future. I have had the pleasure of being accepted to Emory full ride so I am not going to have any undergrad debt hopefully. What I want to ask is that I have been reading conflicting posts about med school debt and I wanted to ask...without undergrad debt is it possible to get <200k in loans and comfortably pay them off in residency and as an attending?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. So I'm a high school senior who is like a lot of people thinking too far ahead into the future. I have had the pleasure of being accepted to Emory full ride so I am not going to have any undergrad debt hopefully. What I want to ask is that I have been reading conflicting posts about med school debt and I wanted to ask...without undergrad debt is it possible to get <200k in loans

Yes, currently *if* you attend a state school AND have very low COL (like have a working spouse or live at home).

and comfortably pay them off in residency and as an attending?

Residency can be tough to pay off substantial amounts on the current salary provided but there are currently income dependent programs and others which assist medical students with loan payback. Who knows if they'll be available when you're ready for them?

So is it impossible to have a decent life during residency?

Reactions: 1 user