This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CD2MD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Post removed]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. No don’t retake a class that is over a decade old.
2. You likely will need biochemistry in lieu of a second semester of organic chemistry. Some programs have additional requirements like stats, genetics, anatomy, but there aren’t many of them. Just something to be aware of. Likely you will be fine to apply for DO but MD may be tougher depending on where your gpa ends up.
3. Mcat prep should be after completing your prereqs, not before. If summer classes put you in a better position to do this then go for it. Right now, your timeline looks like you will be ready for the 2023 cycle as there isn’t much time between finishing your spring 2022 semester, needing to take and perform well on the MCAT, and prepare and submit polished applications to make the 2022 cycle.

Thanks for the response. The consensus from others has been that I should still take both semesters of organic chemistry because it is required almost everywhere, and most medical schools won't accept coursework from more than 10 years ago. Are you saying that taking biochemistry could replace that second semester of organic? Curious to hear some other opinions as well.

For MCAT prep, I've been learning material for biochem and psych/soc, and also practicing CARS gradually over the past few months. Several people have told me that the biochem knowledge needed for the MCAT can be self-taught without a taking a full course. Applying in 2022 would also include a month-long leave of absence from work plus winter break for full-time MCAT prep to cap a year of part-time MCAT prep.

My original plan was to apply in 2023, but I'm toying with the idea of applying in 2022 because I'm saving so much time with the convenience of working and taking classes from home, probably through the end of the year. At this point I wouldn't say applying in 2022 is the most likely outcome, but for now it gives me extra motivation, and without much negative consequence if I decide in a few months that I need to push to 2023 instead.

Hence the original question #3: taking a summer course makes the 2022 plan much less feasible because a summer course would take away from time needed to finish learning the MCAT material and gain clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely check to see if it required at the programs you are interested in applying. When I was in my posts bac it was becoming less common for Orgo 2 to be required, so much so that the entire Orgo sequence was revamped to facilitate that. Obviously this will vary by program.

I would not recommend self studying biochemistry as it is the single most important prereq for the MCAT (and a pretty important part of step 1) and permeates all sections except for cars. I see folks post on here about self studying but in my experience with tutoring MCAT most folks tend to struggle greatly and risk receiving lower scores and having to retake. I’m a pretty conservative with advice for medical admissions given how competitive the process is and since all MCAT scores are reported when you apply, so the cost/benefit analysis of going this route doesn’t make sense to me but for you it might.

Best of luck to you

Hi! Just echoing what GreenDuck12 said. In my experience, biochem is extremely important for the MCAT. Also, if I recall correctly, the majority of the programs where I applied stopped requiring second semester organic chemistry, with most replacing it with biochem. And the programs that didn't require a biochem course strongly recommended it. But definitely check the programs that interest you, as there are exceptions and some schools do still require two semester of organic chemistry!

Thanks for the responses! I definitely find biochem more interesting than organic, so that's really great to know. I'll do some digging to find out which programs are ok with that substitution.