Post-Interview To Dos and Other Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForUs_J&S

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am about to have my first interview soon at my top school. After the interview, are there any to dos I should be doing? I'll be sending a note, which is optional, as a thank you. Other than that, do we just wait around until December 1st?

Also, during interviews, how do they select people to be admitted? If there are 10 students during the day and each has a different interviewer, how do they evaluate interviews fairly?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure they have applicants that they prefer stats-wise before the interview.

Good question. No one really has this answer. It's a subjective process. You can have the best stats, but the interviewer may like someone else's attitude better. One adcom (man I've talked to so many at this point), said they've turned down high stats of people because their personality was so dry, didn't smile, and had no human interaction skill. Remember that this profession is built on human interaction and empathy--not just stats.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was told during one of my interview that they had a few high stat students that had to stay an extra year because they are afraid or doesnt have the hand skills to work on an actual person mouth. Book smart can only get you so far. Dont worry about stats once you get an interview. It will only play a small minor role on the admission decision. If you got the invite to interview, your stats are deem acceptable in their eyes already. That was told to me directly by both my interviewers.

Here is how UConn does it:

Interviewed applicants are evaluated by the full Admissions Committee during regularly scheduled general meetings. Selection factors include:

• Overall strength of the predental academic record
  • Scores on the DAT
  • Personal statement
  • Commitment to learning
  • Motivation for seeking a career in dentistry
  • General impressions formed at the interview
  • Quality and objectivity of references
A summary of each applicant's entire record is presented to the Committee by their respective interviewers. Applicants are rated on a scale from one to three (one being the strongest) by each Committee member; the mean score from all Committee members establishes that individual's priority. Offers are made to applicants with the highest priority scores consistent with AADSAS notification date guidelines. Preference is given to Connecticut residents and New England residents during the admissions review. Applicants not receiving initial acceptances are placed on a wait list and ranked according to their priority scores.