Post interview thank you letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiphoid2010

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took a quick look and didn't see a thread titled for this.

So what is the proper etiquette for sending thank you notes? Should it be a letter, or a card? And who should you send it to? Just the residency director or every interviewer?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Took a quick look and didn't see a thread titled for this.

So what is the proper etiquette for sending thank you notes? Should it be a letter, or a card? And who should you send it to? Just the residency director or every interviewer?

Thanks in advance.

I'm curious about this too. I was interviewed by several panels of pharmacists so I was planning on sending a thank you letter to the residency director only.

I'm curious about this too. I was interviewed by several panels of pharmacists so I was planning on sending a thank you letter to the residency director only.

I was also planning on sending a thank you letter to the director only, but was also interviewed by panels of pharmacists.

Now I'm thinking of sending an individual thank you e-mail to the panel of pharmacists?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also planning on sending a thank you letter to the director only, but was also interviewed by panels of pharmacists.

Now I'm thinking of sending an individual thank you e-mail to the panel of pharmacists?

If you are really interested in the residency, I can't think of any reason NOT to send individual Thank Yous. Err on the side of being polite. It matters.

If you are really interested in the residency, I can't think of any reason NOT to send individual Thank Yous. Err on the side of being polite. It matters.

Would sending out e-mails be appropriate as opposed to mailing out a small thank you card?

Would sending out e-mails be appropriate as opposed to mailing out a small thank you card?
IMO, no. Different people might tell you otherwise, but why do the minimum? :confused: It costs $4 for a pack of 6 cards and 44 cents for a stamp! You want to set yourself apart from the other applicants, good manners is an extremely easy way to do that.

Little things matter. You don't know who is old school (like me) where a written note will go a long way. Err on the side of being polite.

IMO, no. Different people might tell you otherwise, but why do the minimum? :confused: It costs $4 for a pack of 6 cards and 44 cents for a stamp! You want to set yourself apart from the other applicants, good manners is an extremely easy way to do that.

Little things matter. You don't know who is old school (like me) where a written note will go a long way. Err on the side of being polite.

Thanks for this, I'm going to send out the individual thank you cards. I have about 8-11 to send out just to one site: one for the residency director, majority for the individual clinical pharmacists from the group interview, and then three for the individual PGY-1 residents who gave me a tour/lunch. :)