Post-Interview Thank You Cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you send a thank-you card/letter/email?

• Yes for most

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Yes for my top few

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Never

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

SooDeeO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a firm believer that my dinky little thank-you cards will end up in a trash can somewhere and will not change the outcome of the match. Having said that, I am still curious how many of us still end up sending a thank-you card after the interviews.

One of my GS mentors claimed that, at the end of the interview season, the interview committee sits around and reads aloud the thank you letters from each applicant. If true, by not participating in the thank-you card train, will I look bad? Or do so many people not send cards that I would just get lost in the mix?

Members don't see this ad.

I have gotten 8 'Thank you' notes/e-mails after we interviewed ~40 applicants. I'm sure that our faculty got a lot more than that. They make zero difference at any point in the process for us. I have never heard about people reading thank you letters out loud. I can't imagine a department dedicating time to actually sitting down and do something like that.

Reactions: 1 users
I emailed every person who interviewed me + PD + Chair + PC. I felt it couldn't hurt, but don't expect it to help.