post interview follow up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadows

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do the programs interrested in ranking you send letters after the interview, or is it normal for all programs you have interviewed with to send such letters? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

This varies by program and specialty. Some are quite aggressive about calling you and writing you. Others are absolutely silent. Still others are everywhere in between. Best way to figure this out is to keep in contact with other students apply to the same programs. If they are getting calls and you aren't, that's a bad sign probably (and if vice versa, a good sign) If no one is getting calls, probably not a big deal, if everyone is getting calls, either you hang out with all the right people, or its not very selective about who they call.

Hmm... this is starting to worry me.

Seven interviews so far and most have gone fairly smoothly. But I haven't gotten a single "We're gonna rank you" letter/e-mail from any of the programs. All I've gotten is an e-mail with my interviewers' addresses in case I wanted to send them thank you cards.

Granted, I don't know if anyone else I interviewed with has received any correspondences either. Still, without any feedback (B.S. or not), I'm starting to wonder if I these programs are going to rank me at all.

Jeez, interviews are worse than first dates... Did they like me? Damn, why did I say that? Are they going to call? Is this the beginning of a relationship?

Argh.... better get ready to scramble.

H&P STAT..

Of the 7 Interviews, how did they make you feel..?
I really am curious to know, because atleast one of my PDs ( 1 out of 3) infact said they will rank me and susequently I lost interest in another coouple of interviews because this the place I liked most.

But my worry is what if things aren't the same anymore..:confused: Is there are a way of finding out ??

Jani,

I think I have been interviewing pretty well. Most of the sessions were very informal. In fact, with rare exception, the interviewers seemed only interested in promoting their program or just wanted to make sure I can communicate coherently.

As far as the "impression" I got from these programs... At times, the interviewers' parting words were "Good Luck" which in my opinion is equivalent to "Fat Chance You Loser." But overall, they were quite encouraging and some have even come back to wish me a safe drive/flight home. In one case, though, the PD's parting words were, "I REALLY hope we see you here next year". But after all that, not a peep from anyone... not even the safety schools.

My main problem seems to be that out of the three or four interviews per program, there's usually one interviewer that loves me, one or two that seem lukewarm, and one that seems completely disinterested in me as an applicant (though thankfully, not the Chair or PD...yet).

Maybe I'm getting paranoid, but will one thumbs down from a committee member kill your chances of getting ranked?

Man... that would really suck.

My two cents...

I'm a DO applicant applying for MD EM programs... indeed a little fish in big pond. But anyways,

I interviewed at a good community EM program, and didn't feel the interview was at ALL a good one (in fact I felt it was one of my least impressive interviews)... I thought the PD was very uninterested in me, he didnt' ask me anything, he just gave me advice about the whole application process (Yeah, I know, go figure, what the heck). Anways, shortly after I got a letter in the mail from them, telling me that all the interviewers were very impressed with me (it was a more personal letter, had all the attendings names in it, etc), and that they would like to see me there next year.

I was blown away as I thought I screwed the pooch on that interview.

What I would do, is try to find out people in your school or people on the interview trail, or, especially on THIS website, find people that interviewed where you did, and see if they have any post-interview correspondance. This website is anonymous so the info can stay anonymous.

Q

Happy New Year All,

My question is, How reliable are the follow-up letters that are sent? Is the PD definitely going to rank you? I would like to hear from some now residents who received such letters while they were applying.

PediaSure

Originally posted by H&P-Stat
My main problem seems to be that out of the three or four interviews per program, there's usually one interviewer that loves me, one or two that seem lukewarm, and one that seems completely disinterested in me as an applicant (though thankfully, not the Chair or PD...yet).

This is what I was talking about in my "Inscrutability" post.

Originally posted by PediaSure
Happy New Year All,

My question is, How reliable are the follow-up letters that are sent? Is the PD definitely going to rank you? I would like to hear from some now residents who received such letters while they were applying.

PediaSure

I wouldn't consider the letters very reliable. Example:

There was an intern last year (while I was a third year), he was doing his DO internship that some states require. He interviewed at a local university hospital IM program, and the PD told him he shouldnt' even bother interviewing at other places, as they were guaranteeing him a spot. Well, match day comes around and he doesn't match there, even though it was #1 on his list...

Don't let any propaganda taint your ROL list! Go where you want!

I only hope I am not going to be one the dissapointed ones.

But, I will tell you one thing, I will be very very angry with this PD, if this is the case. In my opinion he gave me reassurance that I will be fine and what he did was unethical if that is not going to be the case.

Now I am drafting a follow-up/ thank you letter to him and I don't know whether to imply " Yes, You are the only one I am matching with " or sound cool and say " Yes, You are the best, and if not I have other choices "

Any comments..

Say neither. Say that the program was impressive, or whatever else you liked about it. Say that you are very interested in coming there, if you are. That's the only thing they're entitled to know. But don't talk about how high you would rank them one way or the other. Promising to rank them first just encourages them to continue to play this game (which I think is kind of a stinky little game), and mentioning other programs will lead a bad taste in their mouths, which you don't want if you do end up working there.

Rank the programs in the order you really want them. It only makes sense to rank ALL the programs you'd be reasonably happy in, just in case. The program you match with will never know where you ranked them, and will never know how many other programs you ranked. And it's none of their business.

This way you can enjoy the reassurance you got from this PD, while having other irons in the fire in case it doesn't work out the way you hope.

But, you know that I have only two programs to rank, right ?

I think it is okay to tell a PD that his or her program is your first choice (if it is). It might not make you more or less competitive, but it does show you have a serious interest and would probably be happy there. (You should probably have a pretty good reason, too. Explain why the program is just what you want.) Certainly if you see a program you like better or think you might you should be careful - since the PD has an easy way of figuring out if you lied (i.e rank you first, etc.) and depending on the specialty and your desire to go into academics you may find down the road that they won't forget.

Originally posted by Jani
But, you know that I have only two programs to rank, right ?

Oops, sorry, I spaced out there.

Alright guys... I have now interviewed at 14 programs and have gotten feedback from a grand total of ONE of them... and it was a "Good Luck" letter from the Program Coordinator/Secretary.

This is really scaring me now. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just a big tool in denial. But then again, at one of the "Exit Interviews" with the Chairman, I was told that I interviewed "extremely well." So what gives?!?

Aaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Don't read too much into a lack of follow-up post interview. For many specialties most program directors do not follow up with candidates post-interview. Even if they do send a letter or email this same note is going to many other persons they interviewed and by no means would I take it as a sign that you are definitely going to rank at that program high enough to match. By the same token those programs you do not hear from nor does anyone else that interviewed. I would say your chances of matching at either type of program are equal. Best of luck.;)

This is really scaring me now. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just a big tool in denial

Don't be stressed. I've interviewed at 13 so far and only one communication. Many have told me they don't initiate communication with any applicant. Many have told me good luck. Many have wished me safe travels. Relax, if you've been to enough interviews (which you have been), you'll match. I wonder if anyone actually changes their rankings based on the feedback they get from the program. IMHO that's stupid.