post-fellowship pulm/cc job competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McSap

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently applying to IM residencies and have been offered a pre-match by what would probably be considered a lower-tier NYC community program. I (img with green card) have 16 other interviews lined up including at several mid-tier university programs with contacts, and a bunch of univ-affiliated community programs...I honestly didn't expect to be that interested in taking a prematch at the start of the season, but after interviewing there I could see myself very happy in the program in terms of the intensity of the training experience and serving a much under-served community...which as cheesy as it sounds I feel some sense of duty in doing at this point in my training and coming into the country

I currently want to do pulm/critical care, the program has an in-house fellowship in this, but my question is once fellowship is finished, does completing fellowship in a community program limit post-fellowship job prospects much? My end-goal would be non-academic practice somewhere east coast.

Am i crazy to take the prematch?

Members don't see this ad.

One concern is that if your own fellowship at that place doesn't take you, what are your options? Hospitalist? It's hard for small community programs to get their applicants to the competitive specialities unless it's within its own walls, based on the residents I've interacted with and worked with at several of these types of places.

Members don't see this ad :)
edit: pointless comment

Last edited:
Currently applying to IM residencies and have been offered a pre-match by what would probably be considered a lower-tier NYC community program. I (img with green card) have 16 other interviews lined up including at several mid-tier university programs with contacts, and a bunch of univ-affiliated community programs...I honestly didn't expect to be that interested in taking a prematch at the start of the season, but after interviewing there I could see myself very happy in the program in terms of the intensity of the training experience and serving a much under-served community...which as cheesy as it sounds I feel some sense of duty in doing at this point in my training and coming into the country

I currently want to do pulm/critical care, the program has an in-house fellowship in this, but my question is once fellowship is finished, does completing fellowship in a community program limit post-fellowship job prospects much? My end-goal would be non-academic practice somewhere east coast.

Am i crazy to take the prematch?
Programs that are all-out (i.e. programs that can still offer prematches) are not just low tier, but the lowest tier.

Reputation of residency aside, would fellowship at a low(est) tier community program significantly limit post-fellowship job options if not wanting to go into academia?

It all comes down to this... In Pulm/Ccm and my experience if they call you for an interview( and they can work with you) they are ready to hire you on the spot.
I've had 4 iv and 4 offers so far... Don't get me wrong I think I'm awesome and so does my mom but it has to be the high demand for the specialty.
:)
It's good to be wanted.

Reactions: 1 users
It all comes down to this... In Pulm/Ccm and my experience if they call you for an interview( and they can work with you) they are ready to hire you on the spot.
I've had 4 iv and 4 offers so far... Don't get me wrong I think I'm awesome and so does my mom but it has to be the high demand for the specialty.
:)
It's good to be wanted.

We work for and earn every freaking thin dime too. So choose wisely. Don't get stuck working harder than you have to for the same money.

Reactions: 1 user