Post Covid job outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentxx8800

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm going to be an intern this year and has become more worried about how FM job outlook will look like with everything going on. I've heard and read multiple news about hospitals laying off people and small FM private practices on the brink of closing due to financial struggles. Nobody can predict the future and hopefully effective vaccine is on the horizon to solve the situation but assuming worst case scenario, do you think FM physicians will struggle to find good opportunities in the near future? So many unknowns and I'm obviously just entering our specialty without insights to how things work just yet

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I'm going to be an intern this year and has become more worried about how FM job outlook will look like with everything going on. I've heard and read multiple news about hospitals laying off people and small FM private practices on the brink of closing due to financial struggles. Nobody can predict the future and hopefully effective vaccine is on the horizon to solve the situation but assuming worst case scenario, do you think FM physicians will struggle to find good opportunities in the near future? So many unknowns and I'm obviously just entering our specialty without insights to how things work just yet
In 3 years it'll be fine

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all,

I don't think that any particular specialty is "safe" at this point, unfortunately. To say that COVID-19 caught all of us off-guard is an understatement, and practices/hospital systems/insurances that were not nimble enough to navigate a quick change to telemedicine suffered quite a bit.

I think that, by the time it is time for you to look for a job, things will have recovered somewhat and you will still find "good" job opportunities. I think that FM, more than some other specialties (ophtho, which cannot really be done remotely, for instance), will recover faster.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I also think this will be a positive in terms of helping us/practices/systems think outside the box for alternative streams of revenue and to be more ready rather than having to embrace telemedicine on the fly. I suspect telemedicine is here for the long haul to some degree, which is probably a good thing.

I'm looking for jobs right now. It has certainly put a damper on things, as some places are experiencing a hiring freeze, but there are still a TON of places hiring.

Also, the beauty of FM is that our career can be so diversified. Between urgent care, telemedicine (the companies that are doing all virtual visits), inpatient medicine and outpatient medicine there are so many options. I've picked up 2 telemedicine gigs and I have an urgent care interview that is desperately trying to hire people (I think I'm going to turn it down though because I'm realizing UC isn't my thing). I have 3 other interviews over the next 2 weeks. I wouldn't want to be in any other specialty right now.

I think in 3 years things will be fine and if they aren't "normal" I'm sure you won't have problem finding employment.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm looking for jobs right now. It has certainly put a damper on things, as some places are experiencing a hiring freeze, but there are still a TON of places hiring.

Also, the beauty of FM is that our career can be so diversified. Between urgent care, telemedicine (the companies that are doing all virtual visits), inpatient medicine and outpatient medicine there are so many options. I've picked up 2 telemedicine gigs and I have an urgent care interview that is desperately trying to hire people (I think I'm going to turn it down though because I'm realizing UC isn't my thing). I have 3 other interviews over the next 2 weeks. I wouldn't want to be in any other specialty right now.

I think in 3 years things will be fine and if they aren't "normal" I'm sure you won't have problem finding employment.
If you're up for moving to SC, we're hiring

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

As a fellow soon-to-be intern.... control your anxiety. If you want to be neurotic about something, worry about catching COVID on your inpatient months. Three years from now, if an FM doctor cannot find a job in America we'll have FAR bigger issues to worry about... like finding clean water or fighting off mutant scorpions or alien invaders.

Reactions: 3 users
If you're up for moving to SC, we're hiring

There is a planned parenthood in SC hiring that looked inticing. I can’t get over how "rich" I’d be due to such a reduction in cost of living! Is tempting some days....