Post-Cornell Qatar interviews-Medical program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canmuslimah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all

just out of curiosity what percent of foreign applicants who get an interview with cornell qatar get in to the med program?

what about the process, I heard it goes through the New York commitee as well, so does that mean cornell here makes the decision and sends it there for approval?

and how long does the process usually take?

Members don't see this ad.

After your application is complete, both committees review the
entire application including the supporting documents and then
select the candidates for interviews. I'm not sure who has the
final say, but I can only assume the applicants are selected by
both committees because the criteria has to match that of the
NY campus. It seemed like the standard process. I actually
think WCMC-Q's application process was much better than that
of the US because you don't have to waste time and money on
secondary applications. However, their criteria is stringent.

Last edited:
thanks salafiyyah

i dont think they interview many foreign applicants right? and if they do, what percent chance do they have getting in after the interview

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how many they select for interviews.
But, they seem to accept VERY few international
students. My impression is that it's true that
they only accept around one to two international
students per year. All you can do is just apply
and wait as with any other school. I don't know
what happens when there is a lack of internal
applicants being accepted.

i believe this year they have about 50 something internal applicants...and they have i guess up to 50 spots according to the website...but they seem to choose their external applicants before the internal

did u get an interview salafiyyah?

have any of the external applicants heard back yet?

i interviewed in february and still no word!

hey all

some early-entrance internal applicants got their acceptance letter on thurs...i think external applicants should know by this week inshAllah (if they have not already heard back)...

all the best

***remember all, if its good for you, God will make it happen, if its not, then He wont, put your trust in Him and you'll succeed either way

Hey everyone,

I got a call from the director of admissions today congratulating me for being accepted into the MD program! Btw...I'm an external applicant. I am extremely excited and 99.5% sure that I'll be going to WCMC-Q (the only thing that would stop me from attending would be if I don't get financial aid from the Qatar Foundation).

Best of luck to everyone who is waiting to hear back!

ndychase, if you don't mind, what was your MCAT/GPA? I'm applying as an international and just want to see where I am in terms of competitiveness.

From what I understand, preference is given to Qatari nationals and
then to applicants in the Middle East outside of Qatar. Finally, other
international students are accepted at a rate of one to two students
a year. You also have to take into consideration that the students
in the pre-med program are given preference if they pass all of their
requirements with high marks.

hmmm maybe i shouldnt bother applying since Im from the US.

If this is the school you truly want to go to, then
I wouldn't worry about the odds. What do you
really have to lose by trying? Just make sure you
don't apply to the New York campus if you apply
to the Qatar campus during the same year.

I cannot honestly say its my top choice. And I would probably rather go to a school closer to home a bit. But considering its in the arab/muslim world, I wouldn't mind going there, and would love to check it out too. I am applying, and have started my app process, but there are all these little things, that make it more difficult to finish it such as needing a passport number?! mine expired, but and I just applied for one again (dunno what I'll do about that now), the Letters of Rec part about having to attach a letter when all my letters are at my career center is a hassle, etc.

Salafiyaah do you attend the school now? if so where are you from and how do you like? My biggest worry is residency matching in the US and research, but it seems from the match list, student do a pretty good job at residency here, correct?

Hello,

I'm planning to apply to Cornell for their pre-med program, ( from Canada...). I was wondering if there is anyone from North America in the pre med program, or any pre med students...