post-bach/second degree uncertainty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diligentredpharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a senior biology major with a 3.02 GPA and about to receive my bachelor's. My original plan was to go to pharmacy school. I applied and got accepted at a school in Texas, most likely due to my four year employment as a pharmacy technician along with several letters of recommendations from pharmacists that I have worked with. But along the application process, I found out that becoming a pharmacist is not a good idea. I met several interns in several of the pharmacies that I worked at ,and they have now graduated. A good majority of them have not found jobs ,and those who have are working hourly with low amount of hours given. I am interested in becoming a PA, but unfortunately my gpa and lack of patient care will not most likely prevent me from entering a program. I was able to compensate for the pharmacy program with my work experience, but I lack any experience with in the clinical setting. I know that i must start looking for ways to get that patient care experience along with shadowing, but what would be the best way to address my low gpa to enter PA school ? I was entertaining the idea of getting a second bachelor's degree in nursing to complement my Biology degree and give me patient care experience. Please Help !

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, not sure this is the best forum for that question. This forum is generally for people who are beyond college age and trying to enter medical school (MD/DO). I'm not sure if SDN has a PA section, but you might look around for it.

I know this is sort of beyond the bounds of this forum, but.. I think an academic boosting post bac would be a good choice for you. If you aren't able to go back to school full you can go the DIY route and take upper level bios to boost your GPA. I honestly think you'd be a competitive PA applicant if you got your gpa to 3.2, used your time wisely to shadow/volunteer in a hospital here and there, and posted a good GRE