Post Bacc - Yes or No, Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Take courses?

• Yes, post bacc

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Yes, local college

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No, save money, not worth it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BetsyMarie13

Reaction score
Hi,

Pre-med here preparing to apply to medical school during the next cycle. I'm looking for some advice regarding completing a post-bacc program, taking a few courses throughout the next year from local colleges, or doing neither of those. My undergraduate GPA is low due to extenuating family circumstances (I will explain these to the application committees and in my application, but do not feel the need to explain them here to SDN.), but I did have an upward trend in my last three semesters of school. Fortunately, my MCAT is a 516. I'm wondering if that is enough to get me interview to medical school or if I should consider taking some classes throughout this next year? I know I certainly can't afford to do a formal post-bacc or master's program, and would barely be able to afford completing even a few classes through a local college. Additionally, I work full time so the times I could attend class would be difficult if I take a seated class and not an online one. I did some calculations, and if I take a few courses this fall and in the spring, my GPA would only improve by like 0.3 or 0.2 points, and I'm not sure if that is significant enough to spend all that money, or if I should just continue to focus on the rest of my application and save money for when I need it in the future. Has anybody ever been in a similar situation? Would appreciate all input!! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You forgot the most important piece of info: what is your cGPA and sGPA currently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-med here preparing to apply to medical school during the next cycle. I'm looking for some advice regarding completing a post-bacc program, taking a few courses throughout the next year from local colleges, or doing neither of those. My undergraduate GPA is low due to extenuating family circumstances (I will explain these to the application committees and in my application, but do not feel the need to explain them here to SDN.), but I did have an upward trend in my last three semesters of school. Fortunately, my MCAT is a 516. I'm wondering if that is enough to get me interview to medical school or if I should consider taking some classes throughout this next year? I know I certainly can't afford to do a formal post-bacc or master's program, and would barely be able to afford completing even a few classes through a local college. Additionally, I work full time so the times I could attend class would be difficult if I take a seated class and not an online one. I did some calculations, and if I take a few courses this fall and in the spring, my GPA would only improve by like 0.3 or 0.2 points, and I'm not sure if that is significant enough to spend all that money, or if I should just continue to focus on the rest of my application and save money for when I need it in the future. Has anybody ever been in a similar situation? Would appreciate all input!! Thanks.
cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.1
Yes, do a postbac. (Technically, a postbac is any coursework after a bachelor's, whether it be through a formal program, or a do-it-yourself type.)

Is there a local community college where coursework is cheaper for you? As you have graduated and finances are tight, it would be understandable that you'd take coursework there instead of a local university or formal program. You could also probably take one online class per term, if it's not a prerequisite, besides some brick-and-mortar classes. You've already proven the rigor of your coursework for MCAT prep.

Last edited:
Your GPAs are a bit low, but great job on your MCAT! Are the other aspects of your application good, like volunteering and shadowing? Schools (not like the top ten or whatever) look at the application as a whole. If you worked through undergrad, they see that and know it takes more to succeed in those classes when you're busy af trying to support yourself. Master's and post-baccs are expensive, yes, but you can take out student loans for it and not work, usually. The caveat is that you'll probably need to rent a place with other people to drive down your cost of living so you can survive. I did a masters at USF, which was really tough, but also great! It really prepped me for med school and how hard the course load is. At the med school I'm at now (Creighton), they have a post-bacc program and a Master's of Science in Anatomy program -- both of which land you an automatic interview at the school, so there's that too. Lots and lots of options to look at.