Post Bacc vs. Work Opportunity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nemethyst

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I am in the process of reapplying just like every one else. I am debating whether over this next application cycle to go into a post-bacc program or to seek out employment. Because most likely the post-bacc will be intense and the work would be full time, it would be difficult to do both at the same time.

My stats:

Junior transfer to UC Berkeley
BCPM: 3.35
AO: 3.68

MCAT: 14 PS, 13 BS, 10VR, Q WS

I was stupid enough to try and take gen chem freshman year in CC, competing with foreign students and others who have already taken the class before. I ended up getting C's in both semesters. I was able to pick myself up and transfer to UCB.

I volunteered at an ER for a while, shadowed, and tutored. I have done art for a while, and had been working on the side as a graphic illustrator and artist. I have worked in a rental housing company owned by my family, advertising and doing odd jobs incl. maintenance, showing apartments, and dealing with tenant needs. Problem is, one, I don't know if the ADCOMS will see this as real employment, as it is a family business, and two, its not really related to health care.

I never did research in school because i was never really interested in wet lab work. I am sincerely regretting this error now, however.

Right now, i am tutoring professionally, though not through a service, and seeking out additional volunteering/shadowing/public service opportunities. I am also enrolled in a Medical Microbiology course through UC Extension.

So, should I go for post-bacc, though I've shown i've got a grasp on the subject through my MCAT, or go find a job, even though I've had a few, not related directly to healthcare? Or, should i try to find a clinical research job, even though I'll probably need to get certification somehow?

I need to figure it out, because i need to put it in this cycles app. I am lost. Please help.

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT scores are superb, but your GPA will likely stab you in the back (again) when you reapply. My suggestion would be to up that number through post-bacc. After all, your ultimate goal is to get admitted, and your activities should center around achieving that goal.

What kind of post-bacc? I did a Master's degree (thesis based) and I still got waitlisted again. Graduate degree's are very inflated. But, we learn how to think....which, is very important.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people recommend undergraduate work as a post-bac - this can be done either formally or informally. Unfortunately a Master's degree counts for very little as your undergrad and graduate GPAs are kept separate by AMCAS - so the Master's coursework is seen as a "nice" extra-curricular.

Much more important is to get your undergrad GPA up - the mean for matriculants now is around a 3.65.

You'll definitely be putting your time to better use if you can raise your GPA especially if you take some higher level (but still UG) science classes. If your worried about exhibiting "healthcare related interests" try to spend some time volunteering or shadowing.
But in terms of getting your foot in the door and having adcoms take a closer look at the rest of your app the sad truth is that it often comes down to raw numbers.

Much more important is to get your undergrad GPA up - the mean for matriculants now is around a 3.65.

Too bad there isn't much that a person can do to get their GPA up after 100 hours of course work. If you had a 3.2 and wanted it up it would take a lot of work to get a 3.5.

Lets take a look... If you had a 3.2 after 140 hours of classes and you took 12 hours/semester and made a perfect 4.0.

First semester: 3.26 @ 152 hours
Second Semester: 3.31 @ 164 hours
Third Semester: 3.36 @ 176 hours
Fourth Semester: 3.4 @ 188 hours
Fifth Semester: 3.44 @ 200 hours

Look at that.. 60 hours (2 years) of a perfect 4.0 and you still can't hit the 3.5 cumm. GPA. I don't even think my school has enough classes to take that load.

Doing a research based masters (2+ years) will prepare you more for medical school than a few more undergrad classes. Too bad it's not looked at like that.

Last edited:
On the other hand I assume you haven't taken 120 hours of Science courses so you will have a good shot at making a dent in your BCPM even if it doesn't make a marked difference in your overall GPA

On the other hand I assume you haven't taken 120 hours of Science courses so you will have a good shot at making a dent in your BCPM even if it doesn't make a marked difference in your overall GPA

That is a good point. For me, I have had 82 hours of science (Undergrad) and 29 hours of science (graduate).

:)

Scott

What did you do over the past year?
How many credits of UG science have you already taken?

You really need to boost that BCPM gpa.