Post-Bacc to Dental School Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sillyymelly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, so I've heard back from a couple schools that I applied to that I should do a post-bac program to boost up my GPA because it's not competitive enough (oGPA 3.25, sGPA 3.08). I am currently wondering, for those of you that have done a post-bacc and got into dental school, when did you re-apply for dental school? Those who didn't go through a post-bacc, feel free to drop some advice as well!

Members don't see this ad.

I had similar stats so winter of last year I was right in your situation. I thought about doing a post-bacc but I went for an smp instead. I started it last fall and I'm due to complete it this month. Received 4 interviews after applying the last week of August. Result: 2 acceptances for the pre-december interviews, and I cancelled the other 2. Still waiting to hear from 9 other schools so anything could happen. I completed 2 semesters before I applied. Out of a pool of a about 18 people I know that applied at the same time that they started the smp, all except about 3 got acceptances. It's just an idea for you to consider. Unless you plan to take enough post-bacc courses to significantly impact your numerical stats, a masters will look much stronger on your application.

Reactions: 4 users
I would definitely recommend Temple's post bacc program. I am currently in it and has gave me a lot of confidence in my interviews this cycle (got me an acceptance as well). Temple dental reserves a seat to the dental school for every student in the post-bacc program so there is absolutely no competition in the program. You just need a 20AA DAT, 3.5 science GPA in the program, and professionalism. It is not guaranteed, but if you do these three requirements, then it is pretty much an acceptance to Temple dental. If you have more questions, feel free to ask :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For my timeline, I started my post-bacc in Fall 2014, applied Summer 2015, and started dental school in Fall 2016.

I hope this helps!

I had similar stats so winter of last year I was right in your situation. I thought about doing a post-bacc but I went for an smp instead. I started it last fall and I'm due to complete it this month. Received 4 interviews after applying the last week of August. Result: 2 acceptances for the pre-december interviews, and I cancelled the other 2. Still waiting to hear from 9 other schools so anything could happen. I completed 2 semesters before I applied. Out of a pool of a about 18 people I know that applied at the same time that they started the smp, all except about 3 got acceptances. It's just an idea for you to consider. Unless you plan to take enough post-bacc courses to significantly impact your numerical stats, a masters will look much stronger on your application.

So SMP programs really do work?

What is the reason those people who didn't get acceptances have?

Thank you for replying! So you started your SMP while you were waiting to hear back from dental schools or you applied around January for the following fall? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused. I actually didn't know that there was a difference between SMP vs. post-bacc programs. Would you mind explaining so I have a clearer picture of what schools I should research more on and think of applying to? I would appreciate it so much! Also, if you don't mind which SMP are you currently attending and why did you choose that program?

I would definitely recommend Temple's post bacc program. I am currently in it and has gave me a lot of confidence in my interviews this cycle (got me an acceptance as well). Temple dental reserves a seat to the dental school for every student in the post-bacc program so there is absolutely no competition in the program. You just need a 20AA DAT, 3.5 science GPA in the program, and professionalism. It is not guaranteed, but if you do these three requirements, then it is pretty much an acceptance to Temple dental. If you have more questions, feel free to ask :)

Thanks!! I didn't apply to Temple for dental school and I read on their website that I would've had to applied to their school in order to be eligible for their post-bacc program? Why did you apply to and have chosen Temple's post bacc program? Are you OOS or IS? How many seats do they offer in their post-bacc program? Ahh, sorry, I'm really curious. I know some post-bac/SMP applications open in January so I'm trying to figure out things.
:boom:<-- my mind right now

Thanks!! I didn't apply to Temple for dental school and I read on their website that I would've had to applied to their school in order to be eligible for their post-bacc program? Why did you apply to and have chosen Temple's post bacc program? Are you OOS or IS? How many seats do they offer in their post-bacc program? Ahh, sorry, I'm really curious. I know some post-bac/SMP applications open in January so I'm trying to figure out things.
:boom:<-- my mind right now
Yeah, that is right, you need to have applied to their school via AADSAS to be eligible for the post-bac program, it might be too late to add Temple, but I am not sure. They send you an email for the post-bacc in like March for those that did not get an interview or acceptance from Temple, so technically if you successfully add Temple, you can still be eligible for the program. I applied to a lot of masters and post-bacc programs after I got waitlisted at so many schools. I got accepted to other programs, but I chose this program, because it was the best chance for me to get into a dental school and I was 100% on dentistry. Sure, the other masters programs were good, but they were not dental related and just more hardcore science courses. I am OOS, but I don't think they take that into consideration (majority of my class is OOS). There were 43 students accepted this year (they try to make it around 40 each year).

So if you can get Temple successfully added to your AADSAS, then you can still have a chance to apply for this program.
Here is the thread for the post-bacc if you want more information, or you can just message me :)
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...post-bac-program.1130228/page-5#post-18376187

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, that is right, you need to have applied to their school via AADSAS to be eligible for the post-bac program, it might be too late to add Temple, but I am not sure. They send you an email for the post-bacc in like March for those that did not get an interview or acceptance from Temple, so technically if you successfully add Temple, you can still be eligible for the program. I applied to a lot of masters and post-bacc programs after I got waitlisted at so many schools. I got accepted to other programs, but I chose this program, because it was the best chance for me to get into a dental school and I was 100% on dentistry. Sure, the other masters programs were good, but they were not dental related and just more hardcore science courses. I am OOS, but I don't think they take that into consideration (majority of my class is OOS). There were 43 students accepted this year (they try to make it around 40 each year).

So if you can get Temple successfully added to your AADSAS, then you can still have a chance to apply for this program.
Here is the thread for the post-bacc if you want more information, or you can just message me :)
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...post-bac-program.1130228/page-5#post-18376187
I read the post-bac thread, and it sounds like a great program!

Just to clarify: the program starts in June. Do you submit your reapplication in June as well, and then receive admission to Temple sometime around February of the following year (assuming that the 3 reqs are met)??

In other words, would you be starting at Temple immediately after completing the post-bac?

Also, are loan options for the post-bac similar to loans for dental school? Or is there a cap on how much you can borrow?

Yes you submit your reapplication in June, some waited until after Summer grades, but either way works. Yes, you will receive admission sometime in the middle of Spring semester assuming the 3 requirements are met.

Yes you will start Temple immediately after completing the post-bacc during that Fall.

Because this program is a non-degree awarding program, the FAFSA loans are very limited like 5.5K..... so you will need to find other options for loans, many of us used Sallie Mae.

Yes you submit your reapplication in June, some waited until after Summer grades, but either way works. Yes, you will receive admission sometime in the middle of Spring semester assuming the 3 requirements are met.

Yes you will start Temple immediately after completing the post-bacc during that Fall.

Because this program is a non-degree awarding program, the FAFSA loans are very limited like 5.5K..... so you will need to find other options for loans, many of us used Sallie Mae.

Thanks for being super helpful!! I will definitely be looking into Temple's post-bacc program and probably think of applying to their dental school via AADSAS since their application is still open until January 15. I'll for sure message you if I have further questions :)

Thanks for being super helpful!! I will definitely be looking into Temple's post-bacc program and probably think of applying to their dental school via AADSAS since their application is still open until January 15. I'll for sure message you if I have further questions :)
No problem! I'll be glad to answer any other questions in the future! :) Good luck!!!

So SMP programs really do work?

What is the reason those people who didn't get acceptances have?

SMPs definitely work. Last year when I researched them, I read a ton of testimonies from students on here. I had my doubts, but after enrolling in one I was able to see literally see the proof.

The very few that weren't accepted probably had undergrad stats that weren't up to par or probably fumbled a bit in interviews. One person I know just didn't apply broadly enough and didn't pick the best schools that would give them the best chance of interviews/acceptances.

Also, keep in mind that if you apply the same year that you start an smp (Say you apply in the summer and start in the fall), then your fall grades won't be reported in time for a transcript to be produced by most dental school deadlines. Many students that apply to dental schools upon starting their smps aren't aware of this and then feel stuck knowing that whatever great grades they earn their first semester won't even show up on their profiles. The best they could hope for was banking on schools respecting them for simply being enrolled in an smp and not rejecting them outright for mediocre or less than favorable undergrad stats/DAT scores. A lot of schools want at least one year of masters level grades if you're enrolled in an smp. But it's DEFINITELY possible to get acceptances to dental schools even if you're in your first semester of an smp. If any of this doesn't make sense I can try to clarify better for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for replying! So you started your SMP while you were waiting to hear back from dental schools or you applied around January for the following fall? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused. I actually didn't know that there was a difference between SMP vs. post-bacc programs. Would you mind explaining so I have a clearer picture of what schools I should research more on and think of applying to? I would appreciate it so much! Also, if you don't mind which SMP are you currently attending and why did you choose that program?

Hi! I applied to dental school the year after starting my smp. So I started Fall 2015 and applied to dental schools this cycle (and got in :banana:).

I researched a host of programs (SMP and post-bacc) that fell under the "Academic Enhancement" category. There are other programs that offer an option for "Career Changers" that need to take some upper level prereqs too. I researched the most favored academic enhancement programs I could find (read through school websites, etc), then read testimonies on sdn. Although I applied to smps and post-baccs, I decided to attend an smp since I didn't have money to pay out of pocket for both the post-bacc tuition AND housing. The only financial aid available for post-baccs really is whatever you didn't max out in undergrad, and I attended for 5 years. There was only one post-bacc that I got into that actually granted me a financial aid package, even though it was rather small. There's sufficient financial aid for grad students, though.

There are some programs that guarantee interviews to students that maintain a certain GPA with a specific DAT score. Other programs will hold seats for a number of students specifically from an smp program. Ultimately, I attended the Rutgers GSBS Dental Scholars program, which affords you the opportunity to take some dental courses with D1 students if your stats are impressive enough. I really liked this and didn't really find any other programs with that opportunity. Pretty much all of the courses for the program are at the medical and dental school which is really convenient. Ultimately I chose Rutgers for location (closer to New England and near NYC), the D1 class opportunities, and the positive feedback I read about on here. Haven't regretted my decision ONE bit and I know that my experience here has made me a better student and a better person overall. If you have more questions then let me know!

Reactions: 2 users

Hey SaeWat, I'm looking into the Temple post bacc program. Was wondering where I could find information on applying. I'm looking at the site right now, but it's not giving me much.

Hey SaeWat, I'm looking into the Temple post bacc program. Was wondering where I could find information on applying. I'm looking at the site right now, but it's not giving me much.
Hey! So if you have already applied to Temple's dental school, they will send out an email to the applicants and you follow the instructions there to apply for the post-bacc program. There is also a SDN Temple post-bacc program thread if you search for it. If you can't find it let me know.