Post Bacc Question, please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimcaroline

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just had a quick question regarding the courses I should take at Post bacc.

I recently finished my undergrad at Boston College. Freshmen year, I definitely didn't really understand how to study (who knew it would be such a drastic difference from my public high school) and it has been an uphill battle since then. However, my GPA has been steadily going up. Unfortunately, I only graduated with a 3.0 GPA.

I knew that this GPA is definitely not competitive, so I applied to a couple of post-bacc schools and decided to choose Northeastern university's Post Bacc program (for cost and location issues). I have talked to a couple of people from the program, but they don't really seem to have a definite answer.

So for my basic 4 science classes I've gotten a c/c+. I was wondering if during my post bacc time I should retake those basic science classes OR if I should take higher classes such as anatlytical chem, genetics, microbio, immunology, etc. The only issue with not retaking the basic science classes is that I won't be able to get a committee letter from northeastern. However, I do know that my undergrad does provide committee letters to alumni.

I'm not sure if it's better to retake the classes or take advanced classes (which would, in the end, be more cost effective).

I am a full time student; however, I do plan to work part time (since I would only be in class 3x a week).
In terms of application, my ECs are decent (volunteered at a hospital for 5 years, worked as a marketing research intern, 2 research assistant positions at big hospitals, tons of clubs/volunteers/org). I just really need to show med schools that I am ready med school classes + that I have been improving in classes.

Thank you everyone! Any advice is seriously appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just a lowly pre-med myself, but from what I understand from lurking on these forums is that MD schools don't discount your performance in past classes, whereas DO schools factor the better grade into your GPA if you re-take classes. Meaning for med schools, it's better to take advanced courses and show you can do well in them than just retake something you already did, if that makes sense. Upward trends look good.

I was unclear if you took the science courses you got Cs in during your undergrad - I think that's what you meant, but I'm not sure.

Either way, I'd consider investing in a tutor - the purpose of post-bacc programs is to enhance your GPA, not destroy it.

Take the advanced classes and ace them. The whole point of the post-bac is to show that the you of now is not the you of then.

Hi Everyone,

I just had a quick question regarding the courses I should take at Post bacc.

I recently finished my undergrad at Boston College. Freshmen year, I definitely didn't really understand how to study (who knew it would be such a drastic difference from my public high school) and it has been an uphill battle since then. However, my GPA has been steadily going up. Unfortunately, I only graduated with a 3.0 GPA.

I knew that this GPA is definitely not competitive, so I applied to a couple of post-bacc schools and decided to choose Northeastern university's Post Bacc program (for cost and location issues). I have talked to a couple of people from the program, but they don't really seem to have a definite answer.

So for my basic 4 science classes I've gotten a c/c+. I was wondering if during my post bacc time I should retake those basic science classes OR if I should take higher classes such as anatlytical chem, genetics, microbio, immunology, etc. The only issue with not retaking the basic science classes is that I won't be able to get a committee letter from northeastern. However, I do know that my undergrad does provide committee letters to alumni.

I'm not sure if it's better to retake the classes or take advanced classes (which would, in the end, be more cost effective).

I am a full time student; however, I do plan to work part time (since I would only be in class 3x a week).
In terms of application, my ECs are decent (volunteered at a hospital for 5 years, worked as a marketing research intern, 2 research assistant positions at big hospitals, tons of clubs/volunteers/org). I just really need to show med schools that I am ready med school classes + that I have been improving in classes.

Thank you everyone! Any advice is seriously appreciated.

Thank you everyone! That's was I was thinking but wasn't completely sure!

Good luck on everything!!