Post-Bacc Programs with Linkage Agreements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrChandy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings All,
Does anyone know of any competitive upper-level (non-pre-requisite) post-baccalaureate programs that offer linkage agreements (interviews or admissions) to students who perform highly in them?

Members don't see this ad.

penn special science, I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Drexel IMS program is really nice. Good reputation, excellent curriculum, they work hard to place their people.

Does the UPenn Med school reserve seats for students from the UPenn Special Master's program?

BerkeleyPremed said:
Does the UPenn Med school reserve seats for students from the UPenn Special Master's program?

No, the linkage is with UMDNJ - RWJ, not Penn Med.

Wayne State University guarantees a seat in the next classif you complete the program with an overall B average (no reapplying, no secondaries, no interviews). The program is a year long, you must be a Michigan and you must retake the MCAT. Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UCONN interviews their post-bacc students the same year as they complete the program so there is no lag year.

ive heard of a few that you should look into (warning, maybe im wrong): university of hawaii, finch, and (for urms) georgetown univeristy (gems program)

rosalind franklin/finch definitely has one.

Finch does have one, but if for some reason you don't get in (because their guarantee is only an interview), then the degree is supposedly pretty worthless. This came from my advisor who not only got her PhD at Finch, but also still maintains her research lab there. She said that she thinks that the program is a bunch of hooey because its unfair to lead so many students into believing they will get in while taking some $30,000. Just my 2 cents.

I'm pretty sure Penn's special science program doesn't link. The pre-health program where you take all the pre-req's does though- to Temple, Jefferson, GWU, RWJ(?), and new this year Pitt. Penn Dental too I think. You can check the web site.

I just finished in the pre-health program, and a bunch of my friends linked to Jefferson. They seem pretty enthusiastic about taking our students, although these friends had some crazy life experiences!

-Lion

Members don't see this ad :)
heymisslady said:
Wayne State University guarantees a seat in the next classif you complete the program with an overall B average (no reapplying, no secondaries, no interviews). The program is a year long, you must be a Michigan and you must retake the MCAT. Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What program are you talking about? I am not aware of any post bac that has any linkeage with Wayne that Guarantees a seat, not even their own post bac program. Please specify.

OSU also has a linker progam, but you must retake the mcat.

LionInTheDark said:
I'm pretty sure Penn's special science program doesn't link. The pre-health program where you take all the pre-req's does though- to Temple, Jefferson, GWU, RWJ(?), and new this year Pitt. Penn Dental too I think. You can check the web site.

I just finished in the pre-health program, and a bunch of my friends linked to Jefferson. They seem pretty enthusiastic about taking our students, although these friends had some crazy life experiences!

-Lion

Special Science does link, but just to RWJ and not those other schools you mentioned.

heymisslady said:

This is not correct.
I am in this program and have several friends that have completed this.
They have ALL had 3.8 or better and good MCATs and were not accepted.
The only part of the thread here that is correct is that it is geared for Michigan residents.
Consult previous thread regarding this.
A SDN'r called the dean and transcribed the conversation.
It is a great program, but FAR from linked or assured.

Does anybody know the correct definition of a linkage program?

If the program specified, let's say Penn's Special Science Linkage to RWJ is 3.6 GPA in their program and 28 or higher on the MCAT, does that mean you are GUARANTEED a seat if you have both of these from their program?

Or some people still are not accepted from having meet the requirements?

Thanks,

KO061

ko061 said:
Does anybody know the correct definition of a linkage program?

If the program specified, let's say Penn's Special Science Linkage to RWJ is 3.6 GPA in their program and 28 or higher on the MCAT, does that mean you are GUARANTEED a seat if you have both of these from their program?

Or some people still are not accepted from having meet the requirements?

Thanks,

KO061

If it is a true linkage program, and you meet the requirements, than yes, you get in to the next medical school class.

good question, here's how it works:

there is a minimum set of numerical qualifications that you need (3.6, 28 etc) - if you meet the initial numerical criteria you are guaranteed an interview at the linkage school; from there the linkage school will admit from that pool into their entering class - the number of admissions is based on a presigned linkage agreement

so, say you meet the criteria and you and 15 other people interview for xyz school........your post-bac school has an agreement for 3 seats, therefore, from the 16 of you three will be accepted

911Med said:
This is not correct.
I am in this program and have several friends that have completed this.
They have ALL had 3.8 or better and good MCATs and were not accepted.
The only part of the thread here that is correct is that it is geared for Michigan residents.
Consult previous thread regarding this.
A SDN'r called the dean and transcribed the conversation.
It is a great program, but FAR from linked or assured.

I was going to PM you about this 911 MED, because I remembered you were going into this program. I thought that sounded a bit fishy. BTW, good luck at Wayne.

medic170 said:
I was going to PM you about this 911 MED, because I remembered you were going into this program. I thought that sounded a bit fishy. BTW, good luck at Wayne.

Thanks brother!
Yep - leavin' the beach to hit the streets - oh, that sounds like a television drama right there.
The Wayne program is nice, but FAR from as sweet as she described it. It is 2 years, more like grad school, and the only thing that is certain is death and tuition dollars.

Medici170 - what up with LECOM? Duquesne? Where is your married butt gonna end up in the fall? Keep me posted.

I am going to LECOM and applying throught the regular cycle. If I get in somewhere, I will be leaving LECOM in January and taking a much needed vacation from school. If I don't, I will be sticking it out a LECOM to enter the fall 2005 class there.

Anyone know of any post bac programs with linkage agreements to dental schools? I know that Nova SouthEastern has one..

Here's what I've learned about linkage programs ~ it's just another piece of information to put with the rest. I'm no expert just yet!

A linkage program is akin to an "early decision" + skip "glide year." It allows you to make an application to linked schools during the 2nd year of the post bacc program.

The catch: You can only apply to 1 linked school, and if you are accepted, you commit to attend.

The benefit: You get to enter medical upon completing the post bacc, rather than wait around (waste) the year between wrapping up the post bacc and attending medical school during which you are stuck in the application cycle.

Each school may have some variation on this...this is just what I've found.

I've called Penn's Special Science program (which has a linkage to RWJ), and they've told me that there are no specific number of spots for the linkage program...."the number of spots is somewhat random depending on how many a particular med school offers that particular year," was the response.

What do you guys think about that? If that's true, what if you are committed to doing this, and by the early application time, the particular med school does not offer any spots that year?

Does anybody know more about this?

KO061

mightymouse23 said:
Anyone know of any post bac programs with linkage agreements to dental schools? I know that Nova SouthEastern has one..

look into uconn's postbacc

Does Columbia's linkage allow you to apply to Columbia as well??

Eiano said:
Does Columbia's linkage allow you to apply to Columbia as well??

Always fun to see a resurrected thread! I dont think so, but if you check out their website your question should get answered, or you can always call.

Tooth