Post-bacc programs in DC area? UMD, American, G-town, UDC? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DChealthprof

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently trying to decide where I should take my post-bacc classes. I took virtually none of the requirements in college (five years ago!) and need to start from scratch.

I have met with the pre-med advisors at American and UMD. American's program is nicely laid out, with a lot of support, but it's a lot of money for one year of classes. The UMD option is difficult too--cheaper than American, but I'd still have to take a few day classes (at full, out-of-state tuition:thumbdown:) and would sort of be "charting my own territory"--that is, they don't seem to give a lot of support to post-bacc students. I recently started thinking about UDC, since I live in DC and could get resident tuition...much more affordable.

BUT, I am very worried about the level of education and support I will get at UDC. Also, is UMD going to be hard to do without an advisor to help? I can't really afford American or G-town, but don't want my MCAT to suffer...

I'm particularly interested in hearing from people who have taken post-bacc classes at UDC and UMD.
Anyone have any advice?! Please...!!! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm currently taking classes through UMD's postbacc program and I think it's a pretty good program. I earned my bachelor's at the University of Texas in 2002, and took some science courses (chem, bio) in my undergrad about 8 or 9 years ago. UMD charges in-state rates for their Science in the Evening program courses (but, like you said, day classes will be charged according to your actual residency status). The classes are at a good pace and most people I know from the program are taking two classes a semester (both with lab, so four nights a week) with the intention of completing four chem classes, two physics classes and two to three biology classes within 2 school years. There seem to be students with a wide variety of science backgrounds - some who have taken science classes before and others who have not. Hope that helps ~