Post-Bacc Program or Non-dgree seeking for prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danadony

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 30 years old, resident of Illinois. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Biotechnology from an accredited university OUTSIDE the United States and a Master's Degree in US from Southern Illinois University in Molecular Biology.

B.Sc. (3.87 GPA) 2007 / 128 Credits hours
M.Sc. (3.25 GPA) 2013 / 30 Credits hours

I need to take one year prerequisites of (O Chem, Physics, English) and one semester of calculus and humanities.

I am thinking in two options before applying to medical school:
First: applying for Premed Post-bacc program in Dominican University in Chicago that transfer 90 credits from my undergrad and grants me a bachelor's degree in medical sciences after taking 34 credits hours of premed prerequisites.

Second: taking 26 credits non-degree seeking from prerequisites in a public university

The first option will be eligible for Student loan, while the second is not.

Can you give me your suggestion please?

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Just my opinion but it looks like only an extra semester to get the medical sciences degree. That sounds like a better option. Maybe you can take an anatomy class or something else relevant during that extra time. That route also sounds easier financially but of course watch your debt load.

Reactions: 1 user
Get the second bachelors. Other applicants in the past have had problems getting a degree from outside the US approved both by evaluating bodies and by adcoms.

Reactions: 1 user