Post Bacc help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zuturedoc98

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished college 2 yrs ago with my BSN and am currently an RN. At the time I was debating whether I should go into the other allied health fields, so I completed the entire pre-health track besides Physics I & II and Orgo lab. My science gpa is a hair around a 3.75 and my overall is a 3.84. Of the pre-med sciences I took I got all A's in all my bios (general and upper level electives I've taken), but in gen chem I & II received a B+, Orgo I a B, and Orgo II a C+.

As far as pursing a post-bacc does anyone know if you're able to jump into one (just one at a state university) when you've completed the majority of the credits? I only want to retake Orgo II, and take biochem & physics since it looks like it'll hurt more than help to retake the others. Any advice on how to proceed? Is an SMP worth looking at since I don't necessarily have an issue with my gpa? I'm seeing a lot of hits for post-baccs vs diy, but not necessarily on just having to take a couple more classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPAs do not warrant a formal SMP, which is advised when someone has a seriously low undergrad GPA and taking 100s of more credits will not lift the GPA much.

If you are missing some pre-reqs, then do the DIY route and take it either at a local CC or a 4 year university. Don't retake classes you received a C or above since it might be a risk to your GPA. Only take those required.

Subscribe to MSAR to get an idea of which MD schools will take CC courses.

Reactions: 1 user
I concur with the above. Unless you are missing prereqs or got below a C, there is no reason to take the classes. There is no reason to retake Orgo II or anything else. You would be much better off putting your time, money and energy into a MCAT prep class and doing well on that. From an academic standpoint your are a reasonable candidate
Agreed. If you retake OChem 2, it won't cover the old C+ -- both grades will count toward your AMCAS GPA. And since you've seen the material before, you'd pretty much be expected to get an A. Anything less would work against you.

Reactions: 1 user