Post-bacc financial aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLee89

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have recently posted earlier regarding a chance to get into dental school. As I was planned, I would be finishing up all the pre reqs at the community college as im finishing up chem 1 and 2 this summer and will be finishing up the rest by fall and spring.

After all the advices from the previous post, I felt my plan wasn't enough to land myself an interview with dental school.

I was looking into 1 year masters program that I could start next falland felt I wouldnt able to get into these programs since their requirements are >3.0 GPA.

My only option left is another year of post bacc at University. Only problem with this option is money because I have read that post bacc program does not have any financial aid available since you are not pursing a degree. So I have called University of Houston few times to figure out if I would be able to apply for financial aid and at first I was told by one of faculty that since I didn't use any financial aid during my undergrad years, I would be able to apply for it. And when I was looking into their website to figure out more information regarding post bacc, it have mention that as non-degree seeking student wouldnt be qualified for financial aid, so I called back and asked about financial aid, and it was different faculty and she also said I could apply for a financial aid.

Does anyone who have done post bacc, were you able to get financial aid? I'm little but confused.

Members don't see this ad.

They are right. You cannot get financial aid for postbac. You can only get private loans. Federal loans used to be available for postbac a few years ago, but not anymore.

Hello!

I have recently posted earlier regarding a chance to get into dental school. As I was planned, I would be finishing up all the pre reqs at the community college as im finishing up chem 1 and 2 this summer and will be finishing up the rest by fall and spring.

After all the advices from the previous post, I felt my plan wasn't enough to land myself an interview with dental school.

I was looking into 1 year masters program that I could start next falland felt I wouldnt able to get into these programs since their requirements are >3.0 GPA.

My only option left is another year of post bacc at University. Only problem with this option is money because I have read that post bacc program does not have any financial aid available since you are not pursing a degree. So I have called University of Houston few times to figure out if I would be able to apply for financial aid and at first I was told by one of faculty that since I didn't use any financial aid during my undergrad years, I would be able to apply for it. And when I was looking into their website to figure out more information regarding post bacc, it have mention that as non-degree seeking student wouldnt be qualified for financial aid, so I called back and asked about financial aid, and it was different faculty and she also said I could apply for a financial aid.

Does anyone who have done post bacc, were you able to get financial aid? I'm little but confused.
I have been trying to get financial aid for the past month for my schools postbac. They don't consider a post bac as receiving a degree so they don't provide any financial aid, not even loans. There are however grad plus loans for people seeking post bac or masters which is federal loans which is still better than private, unfortunetly my school doesn't qualify for grad plus, but yours might! Last thing I tried was to get a private student loan from wellsfargo, they denied me and said i need a co signer. It sucks right!? Let me know if u figure out another way, I'm still trying to find a way around this issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been trying to get financial aid for the past month for my schools postbac. They don't consider a post bac as receiving a degree so they don't provide any financial aid, not even loans. There are however grad plus loans for people seeking post bac or masters which is federal loans which is still better than private, unfortunetly my school doesn't qualify for grad plus, but yours might! Last thing I tried was to get a private student loan from wellsfargo, they denied me and said i need a co signer. It sucks right!? Let me know if u figure out another way, I'm still trying to find a way around this issue.
I have decided to get B.A in biology, since i graduated with B.S. in hotel management and taking my pre reqs at cc cuurently so essentially i only need to take one more year at the university while receiving a financial aid since im pursing a degree now.

I had to enroll as a second bachelor's degree student to recieve financial aid.

There are some good post baccs for career changers but I had to wait a year to apply... I'm about to be 28 years old so I just don't want to waste more time. I chose the DIY route. Hopefully it works out.

Reactions: 1 users

There are some good post baccs for career changers but I had to wait a year to apply... I'm about to be 28 years old so I just don't want to waste more time. I chose the DIY route. Hopefully it works out.
I also about to turn 28 end of this year. Time is crucial for us :(

Reactions: 1 user

That's actually a good idea. How do u do this? Do u have to re apply or double major or how

May I also ask how you were able to do this and what you needed to apply for?

Can you PM or route to where you may have posted this answer, I’m in the same situation right now...