post-bacc directly from undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

profstudent

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, here's my situation. I'm going into my senior year at a respected research university. I am a Psychology and Sociology double major in the honors college; I have a 3.84 GPA. All my life, my dream was to become a doctor (had over 5 surgeries as a child, became an EMT in high school). This all changed, however, when I took my Intro Biology course freshman year of college. I ended up getting a C+ and convinced myself that medicine really wasn't for me. Now, the summer going into my senior year, I realize that I may not have given myself a fair chance. Medicine is still the only thing I can see myself doing.

With all that said, would I be a competitive candidate applying to a post-bacc program (specifically bryn mawr, hopkins, goucher) directly from undergrad? My SAT scores are relatively low (~1150), but I have proven via my GPA and independent psychology research that I can do well. I am currently a volunteer crisis hotline counselor that deals with suicidal clients, but I'm not sure if that qualifies as adequate clinical experience (by the way, my EMT certification ran out a few years ago when I decided not to puruse medicine).

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

profstudent said:
Hey everyone, here's my situation. I'm going into my senior year at a respected research university. I am a Psychology and Sociology double major in the honors college; I have a 3.84 GPA. All my life, my dream was to become a doctor (had over 5 surgeries as a child, became an EMT in high school). This all changed, however, when I took my Intro Biology course freshman year of college. I ended up getting a C+ and convinced myself that medicine really wasn't for me. Now, the summer going into my senior year, I realize that I may not have given myself a fair chance. Medicine is still the only thing I can see myself doing.

With all that said, would I be a competitive candidate applying to a post-bacc program (specifically bryn mawr, hopkins, goucher) directly from undergrad? My SAT scores are relatively low (~1150), but I have proven via my GPA and independent psychology research that I can do well. I am currently a volunteer crisis hotline counselor that deals with suicidal clients, but I'm not sure if that qualifies as adequate clinical experience (by the way, my EMT certification ran out a few years ago when I decided not to puruse medicine).

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Thanks.

1 C+ and your worried? 2 F's, 2 D's, more C's than I feel like counting and I've been accepted to 4 US allopathic medical schools. If you can get a 3.5 or higher on your premed requirement courses and do well on your MCATs, there's no reason you can't get into a top US allopathic medical school.

Gotta agree with premed. SAT scores are given a very low level of importance at this stage in the game. As for clinical experience, your hotline experience definately "counts," and you have plenty of time to volunteer/shadow some before it's time to apply.

Relax. I see no reason why you would not get into at least one of the three programs you mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouragement. When I look at the program websites (of the 3 I previously mentioned) it just seems like everyone who is accepted graduated from an ivy league and has amazing international experiences.

premed - I was only concerned about my SAT score for post-bacc admissions purposes, NOT for med school. I suppose I will just need to make up for my score in other areas of my application.

profstudent said:
Thanks for the encouragement. When I look at the program websites (of the 3 I previously mentioned) it just seems like everyone who is accepted graduated from an ivy league and has amazing international experiences.

premed - I was only concerned about my SAT score for post-bacc admissions purposes, NOT for med school. I suppose I will just need to make up for my score in other areas of my application.

Sorry...I was unaware that post-bacs even look at your SAT scores. Either way, I think you'll be OK. Good luck!