Post-Bacc Considering Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wclubin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
lkajsdfasfd

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Originally posted by wclubin
I am currently considering a specialty in radiology. How does one become a radiologist, and are there things I can do now to prepare myself? Would getting a job in radiology at a local hospital help? Not that I am sure such a job would be easy to get since I believe you need a two year degree for such a job. Thanks.

Check here, page 31 for general information.
http://www.abms.org/Downloads/Which Med Spec.pdf

From what I've seen and heard, since radio is such a competitive specialty, you'll have to do super-stellar on the boards and in your basic science years. I'm not sure if there is any specific job that you could do beyond research that would make you a more attractive candidate. :confused:

Hope this helps.
H&T

EDIT: My bad, I didn't realize that this was the same person whose thread I just responded to on specialties. Please disregard.

oiquwerqwe

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You might want to shadow a radiologist for some time or do some type of research. I have been doing research in Radiology for almost 3 years now and I have gotten quite a bit of exposure to the field. Read journals like Radiology, Radiographics, etc.. You can also go to www.appliedradiology.com to look at Case reports and clinical quizzes.

It sounds like you're not in medical school yet...so I think once you get to med school, you'll have a brief exposure to radiology, so it's probably not necessary to specifically volunteer in radiology right now. However, if that's your interest, you'll enjoy volunteering there more.

Radiology is competitive and high-paid, but the drawback is relatively little patient-contact, so that's something you want to take into consideration.