Post Bacc Choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PurplePreMed2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
After much thought and deliberation I have finally decided I want to apply to a post back program, however, I need help in deciding which one will best fit my needs.

I graduated from a top 10 university in the US one year ago and have since worked in the business sector. In undergrad I had a 3.4 cum gpa and a 3.2 science GPA, I graduated with a double major in Neuroscience and Public Policy.

I have most of my premed courses completed but I still need to take orgo and biochem. I definitely want to be in a program that will boost my GPA and preferable one that has linkage options as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to the UPENN post-bacc many years ago, when there were only a few other formal post-Bacc programs.
Considerations include -
1. Do you want to re-do your ALL of your premed courses or just the organic and biochem? Many of the better formal post-bac programs focus on students who have little premed coursework done and avoid repeaters. Another option includes that you could get a Masters, while taking ORGO and biochem. Med school adcoms like a master's degree if it is something you will learn from and makes sense in your life.
2. If you do decide to redo all or most of your premed coursework in a formal post-bac, do you want to go full time or part time? The Bryn Mawr program was one of the best programs, but students had to attend full-time, whereas the UPENN program could be done over 2 years, so we could take night classes, while working during the day.
3. Linkage options are great concept, but with lowish undergrad GPA, you might have limited options.
4. The most important thing about a post-bac program is to investigate their rates of acceptance, including MD only, as well as DO, and Caribbean. The UPENN program was very small, about 30 students, and as a small group, we were very taken care of by a delightful director/dean of our program. Everyone in my cohort (mid 1980's) got into a US MD medical school. It was clear that the program was selecting students who they knew would get into medical school - there were a number of budding "post-bac Programs" springing up elsewhere that took anyone who would pay the money to go, and the advising was lackluster, as were their acceptance rates.

Reactions: 1 user
I would complete any prerequisite courses and apply to a Post Bac with linkage. You can be successful with other programs, but I would prefer the reduction in risk with the linked program

Reactions: 1 users