This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arr8784

Reaction score
Hi, I've been a long time reader of these forums but this is my first time posting. After spending a long time debating whether to make a complete mid-life career change, I've decided to make the first step towards going to med-school, but as a non-traditional student I need to first get into a post-bacc program and was hoping to get some crowd-sourced application advice.

Just to give you a little bit of background I'm in my mid-30s, have a BA in Economics and a JD (both from Top 20 programs and graduated with a 3.75 and a 3.5 respectively). I've had what I consider an interesting, varied and relatively successful career (spent a few years doing renewable energy development, some time with a large international law firm and spent the last few years heading the operations of a real estate tech startup that didn't survive Covid). However, I hadn't been satisfied with my legal career for a while, only was fulfilled when I was volunteering my legal services for things like criminal defense clinics, and was always more interested in math and science growing-up, and was particularly fascinated with biology.

I've decided to apply to only one post-bacc program (Harvard Extension School) for a few reasons --1) I enrolled in some comp sci/math courses during the pandemic to keep my busy and found out I am not really a fan of online learning so I want a program that is in-person; 2) I want a formal program which sets out all the courses I need as opposed to taking a la carte ones through a local community college; 3) If I choose not to work while enrolled, ~$10k + living expenses is in the cards for me financially as opposed to the $30 to $40k of most other named programs; 4) I have some family obligations keeping me in the Northeast. [So as an aside, if there are other programs like this that people can recommend I'd appreciate it!]

From what I've read, it seems my GPA, test scores and work experience would put me in at least a competitive position for admission to HES. However my biggest worry is that I have no formal science or medical background whatsoever (other than working for a tech company and specializing in energy law) nor do I have any volunteer experience relevant to med school. Once I moved back to the Northeast I planned to volunteer for my local EMS squad to get some practical experience but my area's volunteer training was postponed for a year due to the pandemic. And living at the moment with two-high risk people has prevented any type of hospital volunteering.

So the TL;DR question is, what would you suggest writing about for an application question essentially asking "Why are you interested in a medical career?" to show them you are serious when you are a career changer with no real medical or science training/experiences. I certainly have my reasons for wanting to do this, but they are more on the practical - it's a field I think I would do well in and meshes with the skills I have - and intellectual - I'm really fascinated with the incorporation of machine learning in certain medical areas and would love to eventually engage in research to that end - sides. But would this be too cliche/high level? I don't really have any of those stories about always wanting to be a doctor, having a family member go through an illness in which I admired the medical staff, etc.

Thanks for all the help!! (And sorry for my verbosity)

Members don't see this ad.

So the TL;DR question is, what would you suggest writing about for an application question essentially asking "Why are you interested in a medical career?" to show them you are serious when you are a career changer with no real medical or science training/experiences. I certainly have my reasons for wanting to do this, but they are more on the practical - it's a field I think I would do well in and meshes with the skills I have - and intellectual - I'm really fascinated with the incorporation of machine learning in certain medical areas and would love to eventually engage in research to that end - sides. But would this be too cliche/high level? I don't really have any of those stories about always wanting to be a doctor, having a family member go through an illness in which I admired the medical staff, etc.
If you are having difficulty convincingly answering 'why medicine?', that is perhaps a sign that you should first gain some clinical experience to confirm your desires. Have you shadowed any physicians? Without this, how do you know that you will enjoy practicing medicine and are okay with the BS that we deal with on a daily basis? You mention being interested in research, but have you previously engaged in any scholarly pursuits? It is somewhat notable that your reasons for switching did not explicitly include a desire to help others. Medicine seems like a great field to the casual observer, but medical training and clinical practice demand many sacrifices. There is a reason why physicians have such a high rate of burnout and suicide, and why many choose to abandon clinical medicine altogether. It can be grueling and thankless work, and for pay that is not necessarily commensurate with the amount of training and smarts involved. It's hard for you to know whether you are truly okay with these sacrifices without having done your due diligence.

As for practical tips, I would recommend incorporating your criminal defense volunteering into your answer. Wanting to "do more" is a common and acceptable (albeit somewhat cliché) reason.

In my opinion, the real question isn't whether you will get in, but rather, whether you should pursue a post-bac program. I would recommend first gaining some shadowing and/or clinical experience to confirm that this is truly what you want to do. The last thing you want is to waste time and money only to realize later that you're having a mid-life crisis. One of my medical school classmates realized this during their 4th year of medical school, after accruing 6 figures of debt. They ended up not pursuing residency and went into another field. Don't let that be you. Just my thoughts, and best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I attended the HES program, you can send me questions if you like.

Reactions: 1 user