Post-bacc and the FASFA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmanning345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings wise SDN elders,

I am currently in the process of trying to take a few classes post-bacc for medical school requirements (mainly orgo 2) and had a question after many uses of the search function to no avail.

It seems to me that there is no financial aid if you are not enrolled in a degree/certificate program. Originally I filled out the FASFA as if I would not be seeking out a second bachelors (because I am not), but I am wondering if it makes it impossible to get financial aid then? Is it "common practice" to put down you are seeking a second bachelors, when you are really not, or is this unethical?

And right now my loans sit at around 25k, so nothing too extreme.

Thank you for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

What you put on your FAFSA has to check out at your school. Federal loans are only disbursed through schools (at least in the US). Your school is totally in charge of the game.

What you put on your FAFSA has to check out at your school. Federal loans are only disbursed through schools (at least in the US). Your school is totally in charge of the game.

Thanks for the heads up DrMidlife, always see you helping people out in this forum so wanted to make sure I let ya know I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings wise SDN elders,

I am currently in the process of trying to take a few classes post-bacc for medical school requirements (mainly orgo 2) and had a question after many uses of the search function to no avail.

It seems to me that there is no financial aid if you are not enrolled in a degree/certificate program. Originally I filled out the FASFA as if I would not be seeking out a second bachelors (because I am not), but I am wondering if it makes it impossible to get financial aid then? Is it "common practice" to put down you are seeking a second bachelors, when you are really not, or is this unethical?

And right now my loans sit at around 25k, so nothing too extreme.

Thank you for the help!
The lady in my fin. aid office told me to declare a major, even if I did not intend on finishing it because non-degree seeking students do not qualify for aid money. The schools generally frown on this though because it goes against their graduation stats. I ultimately decided to take a few more classes and get the second Bach, but some drop when they find out they got into school or just don't really need extra classes. I hope that helps.

I'm in a similar boat, looking to take the pre-req's necessary for medical school via an informal "DIY" route at my local public university. I've learned from reading here though that financial aid wouldn't be available to me for the year or so it takes me to do this.

As discussed above, I've seen it mentioned a few times that a technical "loophole" would be to apply to the school as if i'm seeking a second bachelor's so that i can get financial aid, and then just drop the degree pursuit once i've got my pre-req's.

It just seems a little sketchy. Do i make the school aware of my intention to never actually complete the degree? If not, how would i manage to obtain any decent advising/recommendations? If this doesn't work, are private loans my only option for assistance when doing an informal post-bacc route?

Please help!

So one thing i have learned that may be helpful... since the school i plan on doing my pre-reqs at has a medical school, financial aid is actually available on a part time basis so long as i have the medical school sign off on a form certifying that the classes i intend to take are pre requisites for medical school.

I think the point is that this shows while you may not technically be "degree seeking" at the moment you are clearly pursuing one down the road. I'm not sure how this would work if the school did NOT have a medical school, although there may still be some way to get your classes certified as pre requisites possibly if it is a state school one of the other sister schools has a med school.