post-bac programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJHopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Dr. Henderson!

I am trying to decide where to attend a post-bac program. Here is my question:

There are 2 post-bac programs near me. One is offered at a small state college. The program is very small - only 2-3 post-bac students attend per year. They claim to have success with their grads getting into schools. This counts all health professions including medical, dental, and chiropratic. The good points are that it is very convenient for me (important because I have infant twins), the tuition is very reasonable (about $140 per credit hour) and the classes are small with a focus on personal attention. The downside is that it is not a big-name university but rather a small state college.

The large state University is a bit further to drive to. However, the director told me that UMDNJ knows their program well, and the post-bac students can do research at UMDNJ.

The last option would be Columbia University in NYC, which would be an even longer commute but not totally impossible. Is Columbia for post-bac worth the incredibly expensive tuition ($700+ per credit hour)?

Can you advise me what would be the best way to go?

Thanks!

NJ Hopeful

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should ask to talk to some students from each program. Get the names and numbers of the post bacs and give them a call. Students are generally more honest and candid about that kind of stuff.

Getting good grades at a big name U will validate your grades often better than a small school. However, getting a great score on the MCAT will do the same.

The first option might be easier on the family... but call those students and get their input.

A guess a multifactorial question gets a multifactorial answer. No one is right... there is no clear cut answer. (However, my prejudice is towards small colleges... more interaction, more 1-1 time with profs, etc...)

Best wishes NJhopeful!

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of MedicalStudent.net
http://www.medicalstudent.net