Post-bac program or non-matriculated student? NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddmd0502

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been following this forum for awhile but this is my first time creating my own thread. I've seen a lot of good advice being given on here so I figured I'd give it a shot - I'm desperate!
I'm currently in my senior year as an undergrad with a Speech Language Pathology and Audiology major. Over the past few months, I've discovered my passion for medicine and have decided I want to pursue med school. However, I feel a little lost as what to do next.
I screwed up a little bit my freshman year and got mostly B's with 2 C's. Since then, I've gotten my act together and have received pretty much straight A's. I'm estimating that I'll be graduating with ~3.6 undergraduate GPA. I know this is a relatively low GPA for med school, but I'm confident that I can keep up the hard work and earn good grades in whatever classes I need to take in the future.
I haven't taken any of the pre-reqs for med school yet. I have taken intro classes such as bio, chem, anatomy, & physics but none of these had a lab section so I'm assuming they won't count. I may have space for a few electives next semester before I graduate, but I will definitely need to either attend a post-bac program or take the pre-reqs somewhere as a non-matriculated student.
I live in NYC and I know there are a number of post-bac programs here, but I'm not sure if my grades would qualify me for schools such as NYU. Even if I did manage to get in, I'm not sure I could afford the ~$60k a year tuition. Hunter or another CUNY school would probably be my best bet tuition wise, but again I'm not sure how likely it is that I get into Hunter's post-bac because I've heard it's pretty competitive.
I've got a decent amount of various community service under my belt and I'm going to try to start shadowing/volunteering in a medical setting ASAP. Also, I'm not sure if this is accurate at all but my advisor told me that my Hispanic background (Puerto Rican, specifically) could possibly work as an advantage for me when it comes to applying to med school.
Should I just start taking the pre-reqs at a CUNY school after graduating or is it worth it to invest so much money into a school like Columbia or NYU? Would I even have a chance of getting into these schools?
Is there anything else I should be doing right now to make myself a candidate for med school?
Any advice would be VERY much appreciated!!! Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is an old post but, if you're still here, how did things turn out? I'm in a similar boat and also new to SDN.

If anyone sees this and has any input I'm sure this is still fairly relevant to many other users including myself.

Any NY-based med school students who took pre-med prerequisites in NYC still on here?

Reactions: 1 user
I know this is an old post but, if you're still here, how did things turn out? I'm in a similar boat and also new to SDN.

If anyone sees this and has any input I'm sure this is still fairly relevant to many other users including myself.

Any NY-based med school students who took pre-med prerequisites in NYC still on here?

I'm in the same boat too... Looking for a good place in NYC to take care of my prereqs before entering a Physical Therapy program. Have you found anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
usually necroposting is such bad form, but as it happens I did most of the prereqs at Brooklyn College 2012-2014. it's a great place to get things done: inexpensive, decent facilities, good faculty. the only issues I encountered were with large class sizes, it can be difficult to get to know professors and obtain LORs. all of my LORs came from a different school, smaller class sizes, more professor contact. it can be done at Brooklyn College, you might have to try a little harder.

I didn't do a formal program of any kind, just registered as a 2nd degree student. it was pretty easy to get the classes I wanted. if you have any specific questions about BC let me know.

Just register to any CUNY as a second-degree or non-degree. No need to go through a formal post-bacc program.