Post bac or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tanu6784

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry I should have posted this here in the first place:

So I just finished my 3rd year in undergrad and will receive my bs degree in August. I've already submitted my acomas application. I've been told by many that in this "lag year" I should attend a post-bac program or do research both of which i'll have the option to choose. Here's the problem. I've been told I have a descent chance to get accepted to LECOM for medical school in 2006. My stats: horrible 24 MCAT, 3.7 overall, 3.5 science, lots of volunteer work, sister a former alumni at LECOM. Yet if i only did subpar in the post-bac say 3.0ish would that destroy my chances...I say this in hopes im getting some interviews at other schools and would be forced to miss class and i dont know if you get all the notes or what..i mean is it worth the risk knowing i'd have a good chance without it? The other option is to stay where im at and do prostate cancer research the whole year. Im in the process of applying to this postbac program which would begin Sept this year and have been told i have a good chance to get into it and its 1.5 hrs from where im at. Any advise much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

tanu6784 said:
Sorry I should have posted this here in the first place:

So I just finished my 3rd year in undergrad and will receive my bs degree in August. I've already submitted my acomas application. I've been told by many that in this "lag year" I should attend a post-bac program or do research both of which i'll have the option to choose. Here's the problem. I've been told I have a descent chance to get accepted to LECOM for medical school in 2006. My stats: horrible 24 MCAT, 3.7 overall, 3.5 science, lots of volunteer work, sister a former alumni at LECOM. Yet if i only did subpar in the post-bac say 3.0ish would that destroy my chances...I say this in hopes im getting some interviews at other schools and would be forced to miss class and i dont know if you get all the notes or what..i mean is it worth the risk knowing i'd have a good chance without it? The other option is to stay where im at and do prostate cancer research the whole year. Im in the process of applying to this postbac program which would begin Sept this year and have been told i have a good chance to get into it and its 1.5 hrs from where im at. Any advise much appreciated.

A post-bacc is only helpful for students with a low GPA and high MCAT. Your GPA is good and it doesn't need to be improved upon. You are correct that if you do attend a post-bacc and perform poorly, it will hurt your chances of admission more than anything (although I wouldn't say your chances would be "destroyed"). However, if you do the post-bacc program and you perform very well it will help your chances for admission but I don't know if that would be enough to make up for your MCAT. You should probably spend the year researching and preparing to retake the MCAT (just in case), especially if you are worried that you will not do well in a post-bacc program. Good luck :)