Post Bac or just apply for someone out of school for 4 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcmp15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post so I apologize if it's a bit long. I've read a lot of really great posts so I'll try not to ask any redundant questions.

I'm wondering if I should apply with these stats or take a post Bac program.

Biology major
Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.5
DAT: TS 22, AA 23, PAT 23
100+ hours shadowing experience
100+ volunteering/community service
6 years experience as a tutor and instructor for SAT, ACT, GRE, and MCAT
No research and only extra curricular was Greek life which I'll omit from the app

Now before you accuse me of trying to stroke my ego, my numbers don't tell the whole story. I originally got accepted into college as a humanities major, switched to undecided undeclared, and then bio after 2nd year. I was very unsure of what I wanted to do early in college and contemplated medicine towards the end. After graduating in 2013 I took the MCAT twice, received high 20s then low 30s. But once I started shadowing a few doctors, by the end of the experience, I decided medicine wasn't the right fit for me.

The whole time I was working as a private tutor and class instructor for a well known prep company and absolutely love it. I contemplated doing test prep and course admin as a career and was kind of lost, but in a twist of fate, I met a lovely married couple of dentists at a golf course and they kind of took me under their wing. The rest is history and now I'm here with good DATs and shadowing completed, but I'm trying to target the weaknesses in my application. As objectively as possible, these are what I think they are:

-decent overall GPA, but after finishing my first 2 years with a 3.7, my last 3 of 4 quarters had less than 3.0 each. Definitely not showing adcoms that I can finish strong.

-no research experience

-no extracurriculars or awards besides Deans list and a $1000 scholarship from a hospital in high-school

-will have been out of school for 4 years by the time I apply next June. Means no LOE from professors, only from dentists, doctors and employers

Despite the decent numbers, I thought a post-bac program could show adcoms I can handle a full science course load even though I've been out of the game for a while. During the program, Id liketo become involved in research and pre-dental organizations if available.

Is this profile good enough for some interviews? Is finishing the way I did and lack of research, extra curriculars, and professors LOE a red flag to adcoms? Should I do a post-bac or just apply? Besides a post Bac and more shadowing and volunteering, would anything else strengthen my application for next June?

Thanks for taking the time to read. Any input is definitely appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on the school you are looking to apply. Some schools require you to have a biology, chemistry professor LOE so if you're out of school for 4 years, you wont be able to fulfill that requirement and may put you in the disadvantage.

Also, things in high school do not count.
Also, if you want to have research and ECs, you have to go back to school for that.

So.... your choice.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a good GPA and excellent DAT scores. I think you'd be a great candidate.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

This is my first post so I apologize if it's a bit long. I've read a lot of really great posts so I'll try not to ask any redundant questions.

Biology major
No research and only extra curricular was Greek life which I'll omit from the app

Now before you accuse me of trying to stroke my ego, my numbers don't tell the whole story. I originally got accepted into college as a humanities major, switched to undecided undeclared, and then bio after 2nd year. I was very unsure of what I wanted to do early in college and contemplated medicine towards the end. After graduating in 2013 I took the MCAT twice, received high 20s then low 30s. But once I started shadowing a few doctors, by the end of the experience, I decided medicine wasn't the right fit for me.

The whole time I was working as a private tutor and class instructor for a well known prep company and absolutely love it. I contemplated doing test prep and course admin as a career and was kind of lost, but in a twist of fate, I met a lovely married couple of dentists at a golf course and they kind of took me under their wing. The rest is history and now I'm here with good DATs and shadowing completed, but I'm trying to target the weaknesses in my application. As objectively as possible, these are what I think they are:

-decent overall GPA, but after finishing my first 2 years with a 3.7, my last 3 of 4 quarters had less than 3.0 each. Definitely not showing adcoms that I can finish strong.

-no research experience

-no extracurriculars or awards besides Deans list and a $1000 scholarship from a hospital in high-school

-will have been out of school for 4 years by the time I apply next June. Means no LOE from professors, only from dentists, doctors and employers

Despite the decent numbers, I thought a post-bac program could show adcoms I can handle a full science course load even though I've been out of the game for a while. During the program, Id liketo become involved in research and pre-dental organizations if available.

Is this profile good enough for some interviews? Is finishing the way I did and lack of research, extra curriculars, and professors LOE a red flag to adcoms? Should I do a post-bac or just apply? Besides a post Bac and more shadowing and volunteering, would anything else strengthen my application for next June?

I've been out of school for close to 5 years and I have a GPA/DAT couple ticks below you. I applied mid-June and have 2 interview invites so far. You definitely have a chance!

I did have a tough time with getting LOR's from professors in the late 00's and all that shebang, and taking months off of work to get my 100+ hours of shadowing... definitely possible if you are motivated.

Lastly, I want to add that not all dental school are non-traditional friendly. I thought that as a "non-trad" I would have some sort of leverage in terms of life experience, maturity, and exploring different career options, but keep in mind that a good amount of school don't care for that, which I strongly disagree with, but it's not my call unfortunately. Apply to schools like UMN, UNLV, NYU, USC where their median age of matriculation is 25+

Reactions: 1 users
VCU likes nontrads too! Lots of people in my class didn't go straight into dental school right after undergrad. ;)

I've been out of school for close to 5 years and I have a GPA/DAT couple ticks below you. I applied mid-June and have 2 interview invites so far. You definitely have a chance!

I did have a tough time with getting LOR's from professors in the late 00's and all that shebang, and taking months off of work to get my 100+ hours of shadowing... definitely possible if you are motivated.

Lastly, I want to add that not all dental school are non-traditional friendly. I thought that as a "non-trad" I would have some sort of leverage in terms of life experience, maturity, and exploring different career options, but keep in mind that a good amount of school don't care for that, which I strongly disagree with, but it's not my call unfortunately. Apply to schools like UMN, UNLV, NYU, USC where their median age of matriculation is 25+

Thanks mate. Definitely have to hustle to still be able to get LORs from them. If not, I'll make do of what I have and keep those schools with older median ages in mind!

Hi everyone,

Biology major

-no research experience

I don't think you need a postbacc. It would help, but it does take time. As others have said, find a way to get letters from science professors and you should be good. Yes, the lack of EC and volunteering hurt you, but you can work on that in increments. Great job on the DAT. I almost wonder if you should divulge you worked for one of the prepping agencies. I assume it was Kaplan or the like. I don't know how well they would care to see that. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Edit: Postbacc could give you the chance to get LORs and some research. It will strengthen your app on being well-rounded. But I would apply first before I spent money on that.