Post-Bac Advice Input Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiamiFinz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am currently finishing my last semester at UMich and am looking for options after graduation. The thing is I am really set on going to Medical School but my GPA in the pre-req classes I've taken so far is pretty low (2.8ish) but I haven't finished a few of the classes such as Orgo II w/ Lab, Calc, etc due to me changing majors and being unfocused for a bit. I also believe my resume to be quite strong as I've worked as a Nurses Assistant for two summers in an ER, was a research assistant at Columbia Med this past summer, and translated PA dictations as well.

So my question is would a academic enhancer post-bac program be right for me? And if so which schools offer these sort of programs? I can't meet with a advisor at my school till March(yay for big universities :p) so I was looking for some preliminary input.

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

yes an academic enhancer type of post bac is definitely what you are looking for and you might be able to apply to some SMPs (Special Masters Programs) that do not require an MCAT score (assuming you havent taken that yet) but GRE. Now there are a lot of programs out there such as UPenn Special Science program, Drexel MSP program, Temple ACMS, Loyola MAMS, and many more (especially around the Fl area) the entire list is at
http://services.aamc.org/postbac/
Most of these programs want a 3.0 GPA requirement, just double check with the schools you like to find out...

also check out the SMP List at the top of the PostBac Forum for other programs...

GOOD LUCK!! :love: