All Branch Topic (ABT) Post baac and Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gnich1914

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on joining the military in some capacity (Reserve or Active) during medical school but I am taking a gap year first (1 year masters genetics/biomedical Eng.)
1.Would it be possible for me to be reserve for a year and then go active duty when accepted to med school?
2.Would I be able to be a reserve officer since I have a bachelor's?
3.And finally, could I receive any possible financial assistance during my post-baac?
I plan on entering military medicine regardless, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

1. If you went reserve for a year you would be able to do direct commissioned officer, but most likely
you would be a 70B series in the Army and you would also have to do drill each month, trainings,
and be eligible for deployment which would make trying to do master's level school difficult unless
it's all online

2. Yes in the Army you could possibly use your bachelor's degree to direct commission as a 70B

3. I don't believe you would get any financial assistance while doing the post bac as I don't think you'd be
eligible for the GI bill as a reservist, but perhaps if you joined the National Guard for your state you might
get free or reduced tuition to your state schools (many states have this), or you could get loan repayment
when you sign up during medical school.

If it were me what I would recommend if you are sure you want to do medical school and military service is wait until you're done with your master's (if that's what you want to get), then either join the military via the scholarship programs (you can search this forum for the pros and cons), or go to medical school and pay out of pocket then sign up for the reserves/guard as a doctor and direct commissioned officer with a much shorter obligation and a little more latitude on choices.

I am sure others will chime in giving advice too.

The Reserve Corps doesn’t have to release you to Active Duty just because you want to before your initial hitch is up. Do not join Reserve Corps if your (somewhat) immediate desire is to go active. RC is a fine plan if you ultimately are considering active duty but not if it’s your plan a year or two from now.