Post Advisor Meeting Depression.. Yeah the onewhere you feel completely hopeless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icecream92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just had my meeting with my advisor and he pretty much flat out told me that I should look into not matriculating directly into medical school after I graduate. I have a 3.5 cumulative GPA. Here are my science grades:

Gen Chem 1: A
Gen Chem 1 Lab: A
Gen Chem 2: A
Gen Chem 2 Lab: A
Gen Bio 1 + Lab: A
Gen Bio 2 + Lab: B+
Cell Structure: Withdraw, Then Retake: C
Organic Chemistry 1: C+
Organic Chemistry 1 Lab: A
Organic Chemistry 2: C
Organic Chemistry 2 Lab: B+
Physics 1 + Lab: B
Physics 2 + Lab: B

Currently taking a physiology course and getting a "B", trying to raise it to a "B+" or "A."
I have excellent extracurriculars, being President of a Club, VP of the Biology Honor Society, VP in Pre-Med Society, work in a free clinic, Biology TA etc. Lots of shadowing

I'm also getting my abstract from my research this past summer published.

If I can get a good MCAT score (above 32) and get 3.8GPA or higher from here on out (I'm a junior) should I still apply for 2013-14 cycle? Should I look into post bacc and masters programs? My advisor made it seem as if I need to take 1-2 years even AFTER my senior year to apply to medical school, and I really, just, don't want to do that. I know I screwed up but is it really too late to "fix" this?

He said my grades fit post bacc, but my MCAT score may be too high (I'm taking it in March) so that leaves me completely in a rut of I won't get into the post bacc program at my school which has a guaranteed admissions to med school if you pass.

He also said maybe I won't even need to do a Masters Program, so I don't even know WTF I am supposed to do if I'm not going to apply to medical school next year. Retake classes? Do research? :confused::confused::confused:

I'm not from this state so when I graduate and if I don't get in anywhere/have a reason to stay I'm not gonna shamefully retake classes after I graduated already just to "see" if it'll work in helping me get into medical school. I guess I want more of a solid backup plan if anyone can suggest it...I don't want to waste any more time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I just had my meeting with my advisor and he pretty much flat out told me that I should look into not matriculating directly into medical school after I graduate. I have a 3.5 cumulative GPA. Here are my science grades:

Gen Bio: Organismal + Lab: A
Gen Bio: Celluar + Lab: B+
Cell Structure and Function: Withdraw, Retake: C

Currently taking a physiology course and getting a "B", trying to raise it to a "B+" or "A."
I have excellent extracurriculars, being President of a Club, VP of the Biology Honor Society, VP in Pre-Med Society, work in a free clinic, Biology TA etc. Lots of shadowing

If I can get a good MCAT score (above 32) and get 3.8GPA or higher from here on out (I'm a junior) should I still apply for 2013-14 cycle? Should I look into post bacc and masters programs? My advisor made it seem as if I need to take 1-2 years even AFTER my senior year to apply to medical school, and I really, just, don't want to do that. I know I screwed up but is it really too late to "fix" this?

He said my grades fit post bacc, but my MCAT score may be too high (I'm taking it in March) so that leaves me completely in a rut of I won't get into the post bacc program at my school which has a guaranteed admissions to med school if you pass.

He also said maybe I won't even need to do a Masters Program, so I don't even know WTF I am supposed to do if I'm not going to apply to medical school next year. Retake classes? Do research? :confused::confused::confused:

I'm not from this state so when I graduate and if I don't get in anywhere/have a reason to stay I'm not gonna shamefully retake classes after I graduated already just to "see" if it'll work in helping me get into medical school. I guess I want more of a solid backup plan if anyone can suggest it...I don't want to waste any more time.

Your advisor may be right that you need to apply after a gap year, but some of this doesn't sound right. There is no such thing as a "too high" MCAT, and you don't need to do a masters program.

Also, if you're a junior with a 3.5 it will be impossible to graduate with a 3.8. Also, don't bank on getting a 32 or higher - that's like the 85th percentile. this isn't like the SATs where 90% of people taking it are idiots, and half of them have no intention of even going to college at all.

You can try to apply next cycle, and if you do it very early, and write a bitchin personal statement and activity descriptions, you'll probably get interviews, but you'll more than likely have a better chance if you take a year off to improve your resume or do a postbacc.

Take this with a grain of salt, but my cumulative gpa is a 3.5 but my core science classes have been straight A's with a B here and there and I've recieved 4 interviews. No idea if I will be accepted to those schools but it seems like I have a decent chance.

I'd say if you do good on the MCAT go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just try to avoid taking the MCAT more than once.

Example: You take MCAT, get 35, and are rejected. Then you have to do post-bac and retake MCAT because of the three year expiration window. Not only that, you'll be preparing for two completely different versions of the MCAT, which would suck even more.

Meeting with an advisor was always a little depressing for me too. Sometimes they are right, but I've had a couple bad experiences (can't blame the advisors too much though; I can imagine that meeting with pre-meds all day could sometimes get annoying). For example, last year I mentioned that I was going to take the MCAT later in the week. The conversation was like this:

Advisor: "What are you aiming for?"
Me: "I'm aiming for a 35 or maybe like a 36."
Advisor: "You're not going to get a 36."
Me: :confused: :scared: okay...ummm, thanks for the pep talk?

From the looks of it, you have a good application. I personally don't consider VP of a club, etc., necessarily good leadership at all, but I guess it's all about what you do and how you sell it. The 3.5 GPA can obviously be improved, but it's in a competitive range. It seems like all the pieces will be there (provided you do well on the MCAT), and as long as you continue to develop those parts of the application while being a good and interesting person, IMHO you won't need a gap year to get in. Not saying that taking a gap year is bad, but if you don't want to, as long as you continue to work hard I think everything will be alright.

Your advisor may be right that you need to apply after a gap year, but some of this doesn't sound right. There is no such thing as a "too high" MCAT, and you don't need to do a masters program.

Also, if you're a junior with a 3.5 it will be impossible to graduate with a 3.8. Also, don't bank on getting a 32 or higher - that's like the 85th percentile. this isn't like the SATs where 90% of people taking it are idiots, and half of them have no intention of even going to college at all.

You can try to apply next cycle, and if you do it very early, and write a bitchin personal statement and activity descriptions, you'll probably get interviews, but you'll more than likely have a better chance if you take a year off to improve your resume or do a postbacc.

I meant getting 3.8 or higher every semester from here on out... do you think I even have a shot at next cycle? What do you do during your year off--what difference does it make if at all? I fee like its the pre-med "limbo" where rejects go to die. :(:(:(

I'll apply again and then what..? What will have changed about me if I'm not going to do a masters? I did some research? Worked at a doctors office?
That will show them that I "changed" and am now "ready" for the academic hardships of medical school?

I feel like theres nothing for me to do and that everyone's just saying take a year off and what? sigh*

I don't think your advisor should be saying this to you without an MCAT score. the fact is you don't know how you will do on your MCAT right now. I got a 34 on my MCAT and my BCPM was ~3.3, but I also know people who had 3.7+ GPAs and did poorly on the MCAT
If you do well on your MCAT, you can get in with a 3.5

Also, I don't really understand why he told you to do a post-bacc? Most of the people I know who did/are doing post-bacc programs were either career changers (no science courses) or had much lower GPAs than what you have (~3.0ish)
you definitely don't need to do a master's

Meeting with an advisor was always a little depressing for me too. Sometimes they are right, but I've had a couple bad experiences (can't blame the advisors too much though; I can imagine that meeting with pre-meds all day could sometimes get annoying). For example, last year I mentioned that I was going to take the MCAT later in the week. The conversation was like this:

From the looks of it, you have a good application. I personally don't consider VP of a club, etc., necessarily good leadership at all, but I guess it's all about what you do and how you sell it. The 3.5 GPA can obviously be improved, but it's in a competitive range. It seems like all the pieces will be there (provided you do well on the MCAT), and as long as you continue to develop those parts of the application while being a good and interesting person, IMHO you won't need a gap year to get in. Not saying that taking a gap year is bad, but if you don't want to, as long as you continue to work hard I think everything will be alright.

Thanks for this. I have other leadership positions as well I'm an undergraduate manager at the free clinic run by medical students here, so hopefullly that counts under your book? I work 6 hours every Saturday.

My main concern is that I don't know what to do during the gap year. They're saying I don't need a masters... so what am I to do? They're saying I can't get into a post bacc.. ok... then ... uhm :confused::confused::confused::confused: am I supposed to just give up?

3.5 isn't terrible, the average is around a 3.7. Being below average isn't ideal but there are obviously people below it and you still have time to bring it up. Post bacc programs are for gpa repair, I don't see why they would reject someone who has indicated that he will do well. You can try to get a research position or be a scribe or something like that. It would sure as hell be a lot cheaper.

3.5 isn't terrible, the average is around a 3.7. Being below average isn't ideal but there are obviously people below it and you still have time to bring it up. Post bacc programs are for gpa repair, I don't see why they would reject someone who has indicated that he will do well. You can try to get a research position or be a scribe or something like that. It would sure as hell be a lot cheaper.

The only thing though is that the post bacc at my school has guaranteed admissions to medschool if you pass. Also same with the post bacc in my home state, which is the appeal for me.

Umm. Nobody else said this yet.....

Why don't you apply MD and DO??

Uhhhh your advisor is a certified idiot. Is he or she an ADCOM? Hell no, so how can they determine whether or not you'll get into med school without a MCAT score? They're all BS. Here's what you need to do; TRY your very hardest to get straight As' with a few Bs' if it's more realistic here on out, continue volunteering, STUDY YOUR A** OFF for the MCAT, and last but not least write the **** out of your personal statement. I GUARANTEE that if you do all of that, apply early ( before July) and broadly, you will get in SOMEWHERE. If you deviate from those instructions at anytime.....*sigh* it is what it is.

The only thing though is that the post bacc at my school has guaranteed admissions to medschool if you pass. Also same with the post bacc in my home state, which is the appeal for me.
this is a GPA repair post-bacc program with guaranteed admissions to med school? what classes would you be taking? you already have your pre-reqs so I'm assuming you wouldn't be retaking all of them.
I just don't see the point in spending the money on a post-bacc program if you don't have to. if you score high enough on the MCAT you have a good shot.
If I were you I would just focus on killing the MCAT.
you should check out these charts from the "Success rate of those who applied with your cGPA and MCAT" thread - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=12108119#post12108119
assuming you are non-URM, if you score a 30 you have ~50% chance of being accepted with a 3.5, but if you can score a 34, you have a 70% chance

Members don't see this ad :)
this is a GPA repair post-bacc program with guaranteed admissions to med school? what classes would you be taking? you already have your pre-reqs so I'm assuming you wouldn't be retaking all of them.
I just don't see the point in spending the money on a post-bacc program if you don't have to. if you score high enough on the MCAT you have a good shot.
you should check out these charts from the "Success rate of those who applied with your cGPA and MCAT" thread - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=12108119#post12108119
assuming you are non-URM, if you score a 30 you have ~50% chance of being accepted with a 3.5, but if you can score a 34, you have a 70% chance

BOOM! There you go. : )

Keep in mind it's an advisor's job to caution you. I distinctly remember my advisor (who was super nice, BTW) leaving me completely dejected after every meeting. Keep working hard in class and pull that GPA up as high as you possibly can, and give yourself adequate time to study for the MCAT. Good Luck!

Thanks swimmer125 and blackhawkdown24! I'm going to try as hard as possible to get over a 32 on my MCAT. I'm aiming to take it in March but If I don't feel ready I'll push it back to April or May. I'm using theBR and EK books right now following a modified version of SN2's MCAT study schedule.

Since I've taken cell structure already. Which class do you recommend that I take for second semester?
I'm stuck in between genetics, embryology, and biochem.
genetics+biochem = no bueno because the final exams will be back to back for those.

Last edited:

Yeah the program is to strengthen your abilities to prepare you for med/dent school
with Intensive coursework in Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and English.

"....a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or greater...score of at least 8 on each of the MCAT exam sections...is guaranteed a seat in the entering class...."

Keep in mind it's an advisor's job to caution you. I distinctly remember my advisor (who was super nice, BTW) leaving me completely dejected after every meeting. Keep working hard in class and pull that GPA up as high as you possibly can, and give yourself adequate time to study for the MCAT. Good Luck!

Thanks hunterjumper14. My advisor is really nice as well. It just made me feel super...:scared::eek::confused::confused::scared: after meeting with him. I'm going to work as hard as I can to pull up my GPA and study for the MCAT. I'm starting to study for the March one.

Just wait till you take the MCAT and come back with your score. You'll get a much better idea once you have an MCAT score and have your grades for this year.

Thanks hunterjumper14. My advisor is really nice as well. It just made me feel super...:scared::eek::confused::confused::scared: after meeting with him. I'm going to work as hard as I can to pull up my GPA and study for the MCAT. I'm starting to study for the March one.

No pressure, but your MCAT will make or break you.

I got accepted to my state school with a <3.5 sGPA. If you have a forgiving state school then you definitely still have shot there.

Look at the GPAs that matriculated into your state's school on MDapps. I'm sure you have a decent shot as long as you're not at an Ivy League.

your gpa doesn't seem that bad. Just get As from now on and do well on mcat. good luck

Thanks swimmer125 and blackhawkdown24! I'm going to try as hard as possible to get over a 32 on my MCAT. I'm aiming to take it in March but If I don't feel ready I'll push it back to April or May. I'm using theBR and EK books right now following a modified version of SN2's MCAT study schedule.

Since I've taken cell structure already. Which class do you recommend that I take for second semester?
I'm stuck in between genetics, embryology, and biochem.
genetics+biochem = no bueno because the final exams will be back to back for those.

No problemo. I would take Genetics. However, you need to see if the schools you want to apply to require Biochem as well.

Most "pre-med" advisers are hacks, I had to get the MSAR and figure out my own way. The advice they gave me was always garbage.

Most "pre-med" advisers are hacks, I had to get the MSAR and figure out my own way. The advice they gave me was always garbage.

Yep. Premed advisers are jealous of those applying to med school, since they were med school-rejects (for the most part).

Definitely take all advice from premed advisors with a grain of salt. SDN is your best source for information, since the information here has worked many times (look at all the success stories).

You're fine, as long as you study hard for the MCAT and do well in your academics from now on.

I second this. also, SDN > most pre-med advisors

If it would help slow down. Take one less class so that you can put more time into the others. Keep in mind a 3.5 is not a bad GPA however it can easily go up or down. Get in that 3.4 ish range and you maybe looking at an SMP or post bacc. Shape up and it could get up to a 3.6. Also make sure you devote the time to the MCAT. Nothing should get in the way of that test.

Gen Bio: Organismal + Lab: A
Gen Bio: Celluar + Lab: B+
Cell Structure and Function: Withdraw, Retake: C

My advisor told me I need to retake my 27N MCAT, even if it meant submitting late. I thought that was crap advice and submitted as early as possible with my MCAT score as is. I've so far been accepted into 3 MD programs out of the 4 interviews I've had/heard back from, and I have 3 more to go. Take the advice of your advisor as one opinion, although their opinion may be completely different than those of med school ad coms.

Metrics are important, but they only get you so far. Beyond that are your extracurriculars, personal statement, and personality during interviews. Best of luck to you :xf: :luck: Ask for many other opinions and in the end, follow your gut intuition.

Yep. Premed advisers are jealous of those applying to med school, since they were med school-rejects (for the most part).

Mine are pretty devoted and had no intention of going to medical school. They put a lot of effort into putting out hundreds of professionals in the health careers. The level of impact they have is enormous and they take pride in it. I don't know who you guys deal with, but it sounds awful. Didn't that come into your mind when you were selecting your undergrad?

Mine are pretty devoted and had no intention of going to medical school. They put a lot of effort into putting out hundreds of professionals in the health careers. The level of impact they have is enormous and they take pride in it. I don't know who you guys deal with, but it sounds awful. Didn't that come into your mind when you were selecting your undergrad?

lol no? Not everyone exits the womb wanting to become an MD like most of SDN

Last edited:

I was more concerned with getting a decent education without breaking the bank.

No. College "premed" office is a joke. I went to a premed adviser asking a simple question, and his response makes him pretty incompetent. So, I go to SDN for advice.

lol no? Not everyone exits the womb wanting to become an MD like most of SDN

I didn't want to become a physician until part way through my undergrad. I was only aware I would like to be involved in the health professions beforehand, so I made sure I choose a school that supported that. You don't need to come out of the womb devoted to something to make an educated decision.

I was more concerned with getting a decent education without breaking the bank.

Full-tuition scholarships definitely influence decisions. ;)

No. College "premed" office is a joke. I went to a premed adviser asking a simple question, and his response makes him pretty incompetent. So, I go to SDN for advice.

Depends on the school and the advisers in charge of guiding students. SDN can give you great information as long as you can filter through the spam, trolling, and uninformed information that gets spread. This gets infinitely easier as you spend time here, but those that don't frequent could easily get misled. A good example of this is the rampant GPA and MCAT inflation in the SDN community.

Educated advisers can come in especially handy in selecting school-specific coursework, activities, and local admissions processes that are far and few between on SDN. They're a much more personal, and incredibly helpful tool as long as they're competent. Basically, SDN and a good adviser can work as wonderful complements to an application process.

Your pre-med advisers were likely never pre-meds. Rather they were were most likely humanities majors who went on to get an administrative career in academia. In the process of climbing up the ladder they were given a role as an academic adviser, and were then selected to specifically be a pre-med adviser; not because they knew anything about medical school, but because the college needed to fill some pre-med adviser roles and just picked some random people to do it. This is why pre-med advising, and academic advising in general, sucks. Only with major advisers (who are usually professors in your department) do you actually get a person who knows what's going on.

I'll never understand why pre-meds are convinced that everyone else in the world is a failed pre-med that is insidiously jealous of the "sure to be" successful pre-meds that they meet. I've run into countless pre-meds who were sure that all their professors only chose science because they couldn't get into med school and even others who were sure that many of their waitresses/waiters/really every other profession was filled with people who couldn't get into med school. Has it occurred to you people that not everyone on this planet wants to be a doctor and, gasp, might actually have always had career goals that didn't involve medicine at all?

I meant getting 3.8 or higher every semester from here on out... do you think I even have a shot at next cycle? What do you do during your year off--what difference does it make if at all? I fee like its the pre-med "limbo" where rejects go to die. :(:(:(

I'll apply again and then what..? What will have changed about me if I'm not going to do a masters? I did some research? Worked at a doctors office?
That will show them that I "changed" and am now "ready" for the academic hardships of medical school?

I feel like theres nothing for me to do and that everyone's just saying take a year off and what? sigh*

There's plenty to do during your year off, you just don't know what yet :). For instance, I've been a nursing asst for my two gap years. Other people do research, and even simply travelling or pursuing a hobby aren't frowned upon. As long as you do SOMETHING and can speak about it at interviews. I will be able to speak of this more once I hear decisions, and I haven't gotten any yet, but I'd say 50% of my time interviewing was focused on talking about my gap-year job, and I think my interviews went very well so far, so try to do something that gives you a lot to talk about!

As far as the advisor ****talking, even if it is true they are hacks (premed advisors usually have education backgrounds, so i dunno about them all being failed pre-meds), you still need a strong committee letter, so at least pretend you take them seriously and are considering their input.

Honestly, if you do well on the MCAT (STUDY!),i.e. 30+, do a bit of GPA repair (at least 3.6) and apply early in a cycle, I see you getting interviews, and from there it's all on you man...everything goes out the window, and it's all about how you can talk about yourself and your passion for medicine.

I didn't want to become a physician until part way through my undergrad. I was only aware I would like to be involved in the health professions beforehand, so I made sure I choose a school that supported that. You don't need to come out of the womb devoted to something to make an educated decision.

Full-tuition scholarships definitely influence decisions. ;)

Depends on the school and the advisers in charge of guiding students. SDN can give you great information as long as you can filter through the spam, trolling, and uninformed information that gets spread. This gets infinitely easier as you spend time here, but those that don't frequent could easily get misled. A good example of this is the rampant GPA and MCAT inflation in the SDN community.

Educated advisers can come in especially handy in selecting school-specific coursework, activities, and local admissions processes that are far and few between on SDN. They're a much more personal, and incredibly helpful tool as long as they're competent. Basically, SDN and a good adviser can work as wonderful complements to an application process.
premedordead, what do you mean by the rampant GPA and MCAT inflation in the SDN community?

I'll never understand why pre-meds are convinced that everyone else in the world is a failed pre-med that is insidiously jealous
LOL, but I think this is only SDN pre-meds....don't let them ruin the whole crop:D

premedordead, what do you mean by the rampant GPA and MCAT inflation in the SDN community?

He probably means that everyone on SDN (whether theyre telling the truth or not) has a 35+ and a 4.0, which is like 99th percentile. Seeing all of these high stats shouldn't scare you into thinking that this is the norm for accepted candidates.

I believe he's referring to the fact in the real world the average MCAT is 25 and most people are ecstatic to get a 30-32, whereas on SDN the average is 32 and a 35+ is viewed to be the only truly acceptable scores. Same thing with GPA; on SDN everyone is 3.8+ which is hardly the case in real life.

LOL, but I think this is only SDN pre-meds....don't let them ruin the whole crop:D

Oh no, I met plenty of pre-meds in college who said stuff like that. There were several times (each with a different pre-med) where the pre-med would say something like "I hope I don't end up like our professors. You can tell they really hate the fact that they didn't become doctors and had to settle with science instead by how depressed they look walking around campus".

I know a guy who attended Harvard med but left because he knew medicine wasn't for him and got a Ph.D. instead.

I know a guy who attended Harvard med but left because he knew medicine wasn't for him and got a Ph.D. instead.

That guy is the stupidest guy in the world IMO. If he didn't like medicine he could have always just went into research after residency.. Who on earth turns up Harvard

The earlier responses were correct in their assessment of my intent.

That guy is the stupidest guy in the world IMO. If he didn't like medicine he could have always just went into research after residency.. Who on earth turns up Harvard

A friend of mine turned up Harvard to attend a state school last year.

Contrary to popular belief on SDN, not everyone in the world wants to be a doctor, and not everyone wants to attend Harvard.

Why do a job you hate? If he can get into Harvard Med he may be able to get into a Harvard PhD program or a program of similar competitiveness.

lol, similar experience here

Actually he's probably the smartest guy I've ever met.

Oh no, I met plenty of pre-meds in college who said stuff like that. There were several times (each with a different pre-med) where the pre-med would say something like "I hope I don't end up like our professors. You can tell they really hate the fact that they didn't become doctors and had to settle with science instead by how depressed they look walking around campus".

Those premeds are ignorant. Professors are knowledgeable (always); advisors are generally not (at least in my college).

Those premeds are ignorant. Professors are knowledgeable (always); advisors are generally not (at least in my college).

Mmm, I wouldn't go this far. Professors know a lot about their field, but often know less than they think they do about other disciplines. Many of them know quite much, but one of the more annoying habits of professors is to think, quite confidently, that they know everything about everything--or at least, more than any non-professor.