This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vi0linm0nster

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about studying abroad for Spanish in the summer before entering medical school, but my school says that since grades don't come out until late August, my diploma might come in October. On file it will also say that I will graduate college in Summer 2020, rather than June 2020. Will this affect any matriculation I might get? Do schools even require a copy of diplomas to be sent to them after acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

What will your official transcript say? Schools will most likely require a final transcript with degree conferred and the date! Why are you cutting it so close? What if something happens and you don’t graduate?

Reactions: 1 users
I am thinking about studying abroad for Spanish in the summer before entering medical school, but my school says that since grades don't come out until late August, my diploma might come in October. On file it will also say that I will graduate college in Summer 2020, rather than June 2020. Will this affect any matriculation I might get? Do schools even require a copy of diplomas to be sent to them after acceptance?

Not a diploma itself, but as the above poster indicates, you'll almost certainly need to send in your final transcripts well before October in order to matriculate. I'd refrain from doing the study abroad if it jeopardizes your chances of graduating in time.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What will your official transcript say? Schools will most likely require a final transcript with degree conferred and the date! Why are you cutting it so close? What if something happens and you don’t graduate?

Technically I don't even need Spanish to graduate, so no such thing will happen such that I don't graduate. I want to do this solely because you don't get many study abroad opportunities past college, and I think learning Spanish will be useful for my future practice. I have a choice of studying abroad as a "visiting student/alumni", or I can study abroad as an enrolled student (in which I will need to declare my graduation term to Summer instead of Spring). The 10 week program I am slightly more interested in is only for continuing students, and that is why I am asking. Alternatively I can do the 4 week program as an alumni I guess, but I was just wondering if there were any chances I can do this as a registered student because if I was taking it anyways, why not have it on my transcript?

Why don’t you just graduate in May and then do what you want. Everything you said is fine but if your transcript isn’t marked “Final Degree Conferred date” you might not have the Official transcripts in time. Besides the summer that you start med school is full. You have Orientation, lots of paper work, maybe moving etc. . And many med schools start in early August or even before.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn’t do this. Some schools start in June mine starts in July 5. It may limit your options.