Post Acceptance Feelings, Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LP1CW

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's odd, now that I'm in, I'm not as excited as I thought I'd be. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy.

The good thing is though, I still have a few interviews to go. I had an interview last week and it was easy because I'm already in at a good school, so nothing bothered me. I slept well the night before. His questions didn't rattle me. I just smiled and answered them. It's comforting.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by LP1CW
It's odd, now that I'm in, I'm not as excited as I thought I'd be. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy.

The good thing is though, I still have a few interviews to go. I had an interview last week and it was easy because I'm already in at a good school, so nothing bothered me. I slept well the night before. His questions didn't rattle me. I just smiled and answered them. It's comforting.

Yep, Its not like I had imagined. But now i tell myself that I am worried about failing out of undergrad and gettgin my acceptance taken back. That once im THERE in med school, I will be as happy as i thought i would be. Like you said, Im happy. But I realize now its just another small victory in a lifetime of hard work, nothing stops here just because im in. And yeah, its nice to have post acceptance interviews that you dont care about.

I like to go to my inteviews now and ask "What does your school have to offer me?" Also, I like to throw in the "What kind of scholarships will you give me?" question. Finally, to top it off, I ask my all time favorite question, "Why should I pick your school over others?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by LP1CW

I was very excited the first day, started re-reading through a lot of the materials they had given me just to learn more. Though I was not nearly as excited as I thought I would be, it was more of a relief than something overwhelmingly positive (which it is).

I had one interview afterwards, I cancelled four others (the one left I had already booked the flight and it was a school I was interested in). It was nice to have one interview to go to that you didnt have to worry about the result too much. It brings a new light to the interview day-- I spent more time focusing on the campus and the hospitals rather than being nervous.

I remember my counsellor was telling me to consider schools in the Carribeans and Israel a few months ago. A lot of my friends said that I would be fine and didn't realize why I was worry. The problem was: I'm applying as an international student, and many schools have quotas on how many students they can accept.

So when the first acceptance letter came, I no longer have to worry about going through the process again, nor I have to explore options outside the U.S. It's really a relief. And of course, declining some interviews save money and time as well.

For me, it's nice to KNOW I'm in, and not have to worry about it any more. I feel like I can make some plans now. There hasn't really been a letdown feeling or anything like that...I still get excited knowing that I'm in. The only weird thing is, I've gotten so used to thinking in terms of "what if I get in or don't get in" with medical school, it's strange switching to "when I start medical school..." now.

I think the general sentiment here is that we're happy to be accepted, but are still waiting in anticipation of next August.
I know that is the feeling for me. Being accepted is a weight off of my shoulders, and has brought a lot of peace of mind to me.
At the same time, there is some trepidation on my part as I wait for next August. It's a big step forward in life, and a change from the work I've been doing for the past five years. I have loved what I've been doing, and I know I'll love medicine. But still, it's hard to leave something you love to do, and people you love to work with.