Post 2015 DO chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Dazzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's difficult for DOs to match in ACGME ortho residencies. However, in 2015 both AOA and ACGME are merging. What is the outlook for DOs trying to match? Should DOs take both comlex and usmle?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes.
Also I hope that the DO programs continue to favor DO grads after 2015 the same way acgme programs favor MD grads now.

OrthoPiper

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes.
Also I hope that the DO programs continue to favor DO grads after 2015 the same way acgme programs favor MD grads now.

OrthoPiper

Does this mean that MDs can apply to what were once DO programs?

Wow, that's huge for borderline MD applicants but that's a real blow for osteopaths

Wow, that's huge for borderline MD applicants but that's a real blow for osteopaths[/QUOTE

I guess no one can be sure how this will pan out. Whereas DOs can take both boards, MDs only have one. Maybe some programs will only want comlex?

the word on the street is that MD applicants will need to take an osteopathic practicum. Even though it sounds ridiculous the AOA requires a certain number of documented osteopathic examinations per year to maintain their accreditation.

When I was rotating through a program going through the re-accreditation process we had to do 5 osteopathic examinations a wekk, document, and then give them to the seniors who were compiling the required documents. We ended up doing a lot of "killer fingers" to patients who had headaches, along with their fractured tibia :)

I dont see the osteopathic requirements in the intern year (which are much greater) and as a PGY2-5 being abolished.

the word on the street is that MD applicants will need to take an osteopathic practicum. Even though it sounds ridiculous the AOA requires a certain number of documented osteopathic examinations per year to maintain their accreditation.

When I was rotating through a program going through the re-accreditation process we had to do 5 osteopathic examinations a wekk, document, and then give them to the seniors who were compiling the required documents. We ended up doing a lot of "killer fingers" to patients who had headaches, along with their fractured tibia :)

I dont see the osteopathic requirements in the intern year (which are much greater) and as a PGY2-5 being abolished.

As anyone doing OMM in school knows, its not hard. MD students will have no problem doing it in order to get a shot at residency.
Its just gonna be another dumb hoop to jump thru.

Seems like DOs got screwed over then in terms of competitive specialties.

I think as of now at least there will be bias on both ends of the spectrum. DO PD's at formerly DO residency's will probs discriminate against MDs the same way some MD PDs discriminate against DOs now. Hopefully the merger is a step to eliminate bias on both sides of the coin. 1/5 medical students now are in a DO Program. With all the changes in healthcare coming, I believe this is a step in the right direction. We need to unite and stand together. There are many much bigger issues at hand than MD vs DO vs IMG.

/rant

I think as of now at least there will be bias on both ends of the spectrum. DO PD's at formerly DO residency's will probs discriminate against MDs the same way some MD PDs discriminate against DOs now. Hopefully the merger is a step to eliminate bias on both sides of the coin. 1/5 medical students now are in a DO Program. With all the changes in healthcare coming, I believe this is a step in the right direction. We need to unite and stand together. There are many much bigger issues at hand than MD vs DO vs IMG.

/rant

Tru Dat!

Seems like DOs got screwed over then in terms of competitive specialties.

I don't foresee DO programs with DO leadership taking average MD applicants over competitive DO applicants. They will continue to take the DO applicants. The competitive MD applicants will of course apply MD only. Just like the sequester, it will take a long time before any significant effects are noticed. The programs have 3 years AFTER 2015 to get in line with the ACGME standards.

The takeover by ACGME will be very beneficial for DO programs. It will force them to adapt to ACGME standards which are superior. Also it will put work hour limits in place.

It is well known that competitive DO students have better board scores than avg. MDs. So in the real world it will not make a difference to the competitive DOs. The avg DOs who used to have a chance will likely be pushed out by the competitive MDs who don't match in MD residencies.