Possibly need RCSI roommates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liumichael

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'll be entering RCSI 6 yr program in october. I was a little late for mercer. I've been placed on waiting list but I don't think I'll have a good shot at that. So now I'm looking for alternatives. Any new 6/5 yr program people in the same boat looking for accomodations maybe we can hook up and find a place together?
my name is Michael, 19, Asian (does that matter?), love the outdoors, can't drink (cause i'm asian) but working on it, anything else? just PM me if you're interested! oh and I don't care what sex you are, as long as you make a good house/roommate.

Members don't see this ad.

liumichael said:
Hi everyone,
I'll be entering RCSI 6 yr program in october. I was a little late for mercer. I've been placed on waiting list but I don't think I'll have a good shot at that. So now I'm looking for alternatives. Any new 6/5 yr program people in the same boat looking for accomodations maybe we can hook up and find a place together?
my name is Michael, 19, Asian (does that matter?), love the outdoors, can't drink (cause i'm asian) but working on it, anything else? just PM me if you're interested! oh and I don't care what sex you are, as long as you make a good house/roommate.

Hi, I am indian im 18. I am really interested in rooming just pm me also where do you live? im from toronto canada

Hey..Where are you from micheal?
I'm looking for apartment/hse/room mates as well.
Lol.. I'm also on the 'waiting' list for Mercer court. I've looked through some ads on daft, some apartments looked good, but not too sure which roads are which and how far exactly is Dublin 2 from Dub 6?! I'd be in for RCSI this Oct. I guess I'd be in Dublin a week or two before the semester starts to look for a place. Anyone?? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
smyoh said:
Hey..Where are you from micheal?
I'm looking for apartment/hse/room mates as well.
Lol.. I'm also on the 'waiting' list for Mercer court. I've looked through some ads on daft, some apartments looked good, but not too sure which roads are which and how far exactly is Dublin 2 from Dub 6?! I'd be in for RCSI this Oct. I guess I'd be in Dublin a week or two before the semester starts to look for a place. Anyone?? :D

hey smyoh u under PMC?

porkchop said:
hey smyoh u under PMC?

yeap :) am actually trying to find other mates who are going to RCSI. see if they have got their accommodation issue settled, or am I the only one who's got, as yet, no where to stay. What about you, porkchop?

hey guys..
i dunno if ive been put on the waiting list btw, when i submitted my form they sent me an email thanking me bla bla, but never metioned smthing about waiting list, even though i just submitted it last week :S
i dunno.. im actually still thinking of not going for mercer court cuz its just not worth it.. but.. ah God.. dunno.. so you guys looking for apartments? and porkchop thanks for the link u posted its pretty good. you know i think the best 2 are either http://www.rcsi.ie/hotel/AungierStreet.doc (thing is it says its for graduate students which sucks but the place souns neat and its 3 min from rcsi)
or http://www.schoolhousecourt.com/ downside, its about 9 km away from rcsi.. a bit too far.
im from dubai originally syrian though, i dont drink either but watever. and i might actually end up smwhere other than mercer court.

Heheh.. I think you best give Mercer Court a call. I submitted the app. form and a few days later got this reply asking me to pay up in full. So when I did call them to ask them for the procedure, the lady over at Mercer said there were no more rooms available and no point to pay up. Haaha.. so why did they ask me to pay up when there are none left? Anyways, I guess it is apartments for me then. One question.. Would a house or apartment be better for a 1st year student?

Hm, there aren't many houses near RCSI (if there are even any at all). So if you're planning to stay near RCSI expect to live in an apartment. Sharing an apartment will be more expensive than sharing a house though. I'm staying in a single sex hostel 15 mins away from RCSI (if you're interested PM me), and will be taking the LUAS to classes. Speaking of the LUAS, it stops right smack in front of RCSI and if you take it you avoid the peak hour jams which you would get stuck in if you take the bus, and the bus doesn't stop in front of RCSI. The sharing section of the daft website http://www.daft.ie/sharing is pretty handy if you are having trouble finding roommates. gluck;)

hello there! I'm 22, from philippines, entering the 5 yr program at RCSI in October. I've also been placed on the waiting list for Mercer court like some of you guys. I'm currently looking for my alternative student accomodation. Does anyone know if broadstone student residences and griffith halls of residence are walking distances from RCSI? Which of these two is closer to RCSI and how long would it take for one to walk/ commute? Which one is better in terms of facilities, proximity to city center, social interaction, etc...? I would appreciate any information about this. Thanks!

Im 19, East Indian from Toronto,Canada, went to U of T, if someone needs a roomate, im interested. I just came back from Dublin in May so i know the place a lil bit.

Hey im West Indian from Toronto Canada, im 18 entering the 6 year program, anybody interested in finding accomodation just hit me with a pm.

im 20m from singapore. entering the 6 yr med prog at rcsi. looking for accommodation too. :) apparently there aren't many apartments near the college. the cheapest i found 1200 euro a month for a 2-room apartment along dublin 2. if im taking this apartment, id need a roomie too. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 3rd year med student currently studying at RCSI from Vancouver,Canada. Mercer Court if you can get it is your best bet as its the best place to meet people in premed and 1st year, its literally next to the library and a 5 minute walk from the college. If you can't get accomodations there, I would suggest finding an apartment anywhere in Dublin 8 or Dublin 2. Adelaide square (a 5 minute walk from the college) in Dublin 8 and Custom House Square (a 30 minute walk from the college) are both very popular with RCSI students, except the former can be a bit expensive and the latter is a bit of a walk in the mornings! Expect rent to be anywhere between 800 - 1200 euro for a 1 bedroom and 1000 - 1800 euro for a 2 bedroom place in the city centre. If you don't mind commuting in the morning, you can try living anywhere along the Luas Green line as that stops off right in front of the college but it stops running at about midnight. Check on www.daft.ie for apartments for let on the city centre for apartments or contact a letting agent to look for an apartment for you! Most places will come furnished but you will probably have to set up cable and internet by yourself.

For the bball and hockey fans out there, if you get digital cable, you can subscribe to the North American Sports Network to watch playoff games :) Otherwise you can revel in World Cup fever, Gaelic football, Rugby and Hurling :)

thundernrain said:
hello there! I'm 22, from philippines, entering the 5 yr program at RCSI in October. I've also been placed on the waiting list for Mercer court like some of you guys. I'm currently looking for my alternative student accomodation. Does anyone know if broadstone student residences and griffith halls of residence are walking distances from RCSI? Which of these two is closer to RCSI and how long would it take for one to walk/ commute? Which one is better in terms of facilities, proximity to city center, social interaction, etc...? I would appreciate any information about this. Thanks!

Griffith is going to be wayyyyyyyy closer than Broadstone. Mercer Court isn't cheap or nice, but what you're paying for the is the proximity to library and school and the opportunity to interact with RCSI people. Griffith is probably better for meeting RCSI students, although South Circular Road is about a 20 minute walk (they say 10 minutes but they lie!) from the college. Broadstone is in Dublin 7 and i'm not even entirely sure where that is in my RCSI bubble :p

Within a 5-10 minute walk: Christchurch area, or anywhere around St.Stephen's Green, George's/Aungier/Camden Street (all the same street!), St. Patricks Cathedral, Grafton Street, Trinity College

Within a 20 minute walk: Dublin 1, Smithfield, O'Connell Street, Merrion Square, Gallery Quay

Thank God i finally got a single room at mercer court! :) yes i know ppl say mercer isnt great n stuff but its ok i guess as long as ive got rcsi students around.
question about mercer court: ISDN? seriously?!?! :confused:
isdn ppl that's old stuff, what happened to cable and dsl. i really hope that's what it just says on the site but its actually something else, just hoping.
another question for rcsi students who are reading this, please tell me there is a way to spend SOME free time (i know i won't be getting much free time) in mercer court, i mean do they have pool tables for example in mercer court? we're already paying loads on accomodation, don't they provide something entertaining?
thanks..

Triple A said:
Thank God i finally got a single room at mercer court! :) yes i know ppl say mercer isnt great n stuff but its ok i guess as long as ive got rcsi students around.
question about mercer court: ISDN? seriously?!?! :confused:
isdn ppl that's old stuff, what happened to cable and dsl. i really hope that's what it just says on the site but its actually something else, just hoping.
another question for rcsi students who are reading this, please tell me there is a way to spend SOME free time (i know i won't be getting much free time) in mercer court, i mean do they have pool tables for example in mercer court? we're already paying loads on accomodation, don't they provide something entertaining?
thanks..

The internet speed actually isn't bad. They provide ethernet cords for the rooms, but there is wireless everywhere else (in the library and the college). The only problem is that you'll have to turn on the RCSI proxy to access the internet, which means while you'll have free access to all RCSI resources (ie UpToDate) you'll also get blocked if you try to navigate to certain sites (no bit torrent downloading for example, but MSN will work).

Mercer court doesn't have pool tables, but if you walk to the college which is a hop, skip and a jump away and opens til 10 everyday, the college has a gym which is free (although not that nice), a couple of pool tables and foosball tables (both of which are free), couches, a couple of flat screen tvs, prayer rooms and the such. If you're in mercer court, there will be a tv in the common rooms for you to share with your 4 flatmates (bring your xbox if u can't survive without it), or you'll get a personal tv in each room if you're in millin house.

As for free time, you'll have lots of free time depending on how efficiently you study :) First year actually isn't THAT crazy, just during the card signing times (anatomy oral tests) that you'll get once every 2 weeks. There are also plenty of breaks so you won't go crazy. I know none of you have access to moodle (our Intranet system) so I've attached a file with your term dates for the next year here in case you haven't been given it.

Getting to school in October is a bit of a crock. Unlike the Canadian Unis they don't send you massive amounts of mail to make sure you know whats going on. You just sorta show up in Dublin and 'hope' that they have your name registered at school :) If you're feeling like that, don't worry. Its like that for everyone :)

Attachments

• Term_Dates_20062007.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 105
groupbstrep said:
The internet speed actually isn't bad. They provide ethernet cords for the rooms, but there is wireless everywhere else (in the library and the college). The only problem is that you'll have to turn on the RCSI proxy to access the internet, which means while you'll have free access to all RCSI resources (ie UpToDate) you'll also get blocked if you try to navigate to certain sites (no bit torrent downloading for example, but MSN will work).

Mercer court doesn't have pool tables, but if you walk to the college which is a hop, skip and a jump away and opens til 10 everyday, the college has a gym which is free (although not that nice), a couple of pool tables and foosball tables (both of which are free), couches, a couple of flat screen tvs, prayer rooms and the such. If you're in mercer court, there will be a tv in the common rooms for you to share with your 4 flatmates (bring your xbox if u can't survive without it), or you'll get a personal tv in each room if you're in millin house.

As for free time, you'll have lots of free time depending on how efficiently you study :) First year actually isn't THAT crazy, just during the card signing times (anatomy oral tests) that you'll get once every 2 weeks. There are also plenty of breaks so you won't go crazy. I know none of you have access to moodle (our Intranet system) so I've attached a file with your term dates for the next year here in case you haven't been given it.

Getting to school in October is a bit of a crock. Unlike the Canadian Unis they don't send you massive amounts of mail to make sure you know whats going on. You just sorta show up in Dublin and 'hope' that they have your name registered at school :) If you're feeling like that, don't worry. Its like that for everyone :)

hey thanks a lot for the post atleast now i have a good idea of how it might be at mercer and uni smhow.. lol i guess i just gotta make the best out of it :).
im gna be in millin house next year. im glad internet isn't that bad and that there is something to do at uni during free time. Yes i should study efficiently and i hopefully will for that matter because i don't wanna spend my first year with a book or 2 and at the same time dont wanna get kicked out of there. :)
Holidays are pretty short though eh? actually summer seems fine but xmas and easter are a bit too short compared to the UK.. ah whatever it's all good!
Thanks again..!

Triple A said:
hey guys..
i dunno if ive been put on the waiting list btw, when i submitted my form they sent me an email thanking me bla bla, but never metioned smthing about waiting list, even though i just submitted it last week :S
i dunno.. im actually still thinking of not going for mercer court cuz its just not worth it.. but.. ah God.. dunno.. so you guys looking for apartments? and porkchop thanks for the link u posted its pretty good. you know i think the best 2 are either http://www.rcsi.ie/hotel/AungierStreet.doc (thing is it says its for graduate students which sucks but the place souns neat and its 3 min from rcsi)
or http://www.schoolhousecourt.com/ downside, its about 9 km away from rcsi.. a bit too far.
im from dubai originally syrian though, i dont drink either but watever. and i might actually end up smwhere other than mercer court.

Actually the people at Aungier Street doesn't seem to care if someone is a graduate student or not. I managed to get a room there (I will be a foundation year student this fall) and Unlike all the other places this place only requires half of the rent upfront. :cool:

:D Hey guys ! nice to meet u all ! well .. my name is Yasser ... i'm jordanian .. i'm joining the 5 years med. course @ RCSI next october ! just wondering if ny one is looking for a room-mate ! :luck:

hey guys, the names namdev, 18, enetering the 5 yr med course this october, in DIRE need of a place to live!!.. if ne one is really interested in getting a place together, or sharing an apartment, please contact me at [email protected] or just add me to ure msn at [email protected].. im glad that i have found other ppl in the same situation.. lots of possibilities.. just so u know, im indian, lived in bangkok my whole life, do not smoke or drink, but still enjoy enjoying life, haha, contact me soon.. need to find a place and soon!.. thanks..

I found a place on www.daft.ie Anyone still looking for a place in Dublin 2, 3 bedroom but 2 bedrooms are twin so i'm still looking for 1 more person. There are already three of us so one more will do. No drinkers or smokers please. Rent 2000-2200

Hey Vito,

Yeah im still looking for a place. If you still have the bed available please email me at [email protected]. Thanks.