Possible vet school transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libster06

Crank a wank!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am considering applying to transfer vet schools (mostly for financial reasons) and I just wondered if any of you on here had any experience with that. I haven't found anyone who has actually done it to talk with about it, and I was just curious about for those of you who have transferred, whether it was a good choice for you or not, and maybe a little about the process you went through. I know all schools are different, and I know that some do not accept transfers, but I was just trying to get some insight on the ease or difficulty of transferring from others who had actually gone through with the process.

Oh, also, I am wondering what term did you transfer? Would it only be worth it to transfer after 1st year, or could I apply to transfer in 2nd year?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oh, also, I am wondering what term did you transfer? Would it only be worth it to transfer after 1st year, or could I apply to transfer in 2nd year?

My guess would is it would be very hard to transfer after your second year (unless you went from a 2+2 school to another 2+2 school) - as almost every school as there own curriculum. If you haven't take a class that was already taught, I would guess they wouldn't let you transfer. Everyone we had transfer in was during (or directly after) the first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you would be stuck transferring into 2nd year no matter what.

The school I want to transfer to has a deadline of June 15th for all Fall semester transfers to turn in all the materials needed. It would be a pretty active semesters end, but I could get everything in by then. I just wanted to know if there was a chance of getting in through a transfer after the first year as well as any other pertinent information that anyone who has transferred could give. I am calling the school tomorrow to get more info... in the mean time I just thought I'd post here to get opinions, for what they're worth.

Ah, I just meant that I *think* you can only transfer in as a 2nd year student, no matter how far you get in your education at LSU. But ya know, I'm not for sure. For all I've ever heard, that was the only point in time where a transfer was allowed - that's all.

There's a girl in our class that transferred from an accredited overseas school to our school right before second year. She had to take a couple classes over the summer (ones that we offered 1st year that her school took later). I don't think she feels like she's at a disadvantage except when teachers say things like, "remember from 1st year when we talked about ______?"

Last edited:
There's a girl in our class that transferred from an accredited overseas school to our scholl right before second year. She had to take a couple classes over the summer (ones that we offered 1st year that her school took later). I don't think she feels like she's at a disadvantage except when teachers say things like, "remember from 1st year when we talked about ______?"

OT: Dyachei, LOVE your avatar. She's my favorite :love:

We had an LSU student transfer into our 2nd year.

We had an LSU student transfer into our 2nd year.

So, you think it would be possible to transfer into the 2nd semster of second year? The reason I am so concerned about the timing is that I just know the deadline is June 15th and I really just started strongly considering this (after some talk and encouragement from a couple vets) and it would be really pushing it to try to get in for the fall, plus I have to move at the end of June, so I don't know how soon I would know if I was accepted as a transfer.

Ah, I just meant that I *think* you can only transfer in as a 2nd year student, no matter how far you get in your education at LSU. But ya know, I'm not for sure. For all I've ever heard, that was the only point in time where a transfer was allowed - that's all.

It would seem that way to me too, as by third year there probably aren't any open spots. I read on the school's website thought that you can transfer only into "2nd through 7th semesters" suggesting that there was a possibility of transfer past 2nd year. Just trying to get some thoughts, I appreciate the feedback

Libster, I assume you're talking about NCSU? I briefly also considered applying to transfer last year for tuition purposes and to be closer to my family.

From what I understand, you can only transfer in if there's a spot in the class... so you might want to check with NittanyKitty or one of the other NCSU first years to see if they've lost anyone?

One of our family friends is a professor at the vet school, and he mentioned that they do offer one-on-one summer courses to catch folks up w/ classes that might not match up. I'm not sure how that would work though for one of the "odd" semester though since your only break would be over Christmas...it could potentially be a lot of material to cover in 2-3 weeks!

My concern is that the further you get in your education, the less the classes will match up. For example, I think NCSU does lots of spays during the 2nd year. At Penn, we do our first (and only!) core curriculum spay surgery during 3rd year. My boyfriend was just accepted into grad school at UNC so I again thought (briefly) about transferring....but I was worried about how the spay experiences would translate for me. The university may have a perfectly good plan in place for this -- I have no idea, since I never pursued it further than thinking about it for a day or two!

If you're looking at options other than NCSU, I believe I've read on here that Kansas accepts lots of transfers...

Libster, I assume you're talking about NCSU? I briefly also considered applying to transfer last year for tuition purposes and to be closer to my family.

From what I understand, you can only transfer in if there's a spot in the class... so you might want to check with NittanyKitty or one of the other NCSU first years to see if they've lost anyone?

One of our family friends is a professor at the vet school, and he mentioned that they do offer one-on-one summer courses to catch folks up w/ classes that might not match up. I'm not sure how that would work though for one of the "odd" semester though since your only break would be over Christmas...it could potentially be a lot of material to cover in 2-3 weeks!

My concern is that the further you get in your education, the less the classes will match up. For example, I think NCSU does lots of spays during the 2nd year. At Penn, we do our first (and only!) core curriculum spay surgery during 3rd year. My boyfriend was just accepted into grad school at UNC so I again thought (briefly) about transferring....but I was worried about how the spay experiences would translate for me. The university may have a perfectly good plan in place for this -- I have no idea, since I never pursued it further than thinking about it for a day or two!

If you're looking at options other than NCSU, I believe I've read on here that Kansas accepts lots of transfers...

Thank you for the info. I am actually looking to transfer to A&M (my IS) but I'm sure a lot of this could be applied there. I called them and they don't currently have any spots available, so I don't think I am going to try yet. The person I talked to said the same thing about the classes matching up, but she also said it is possible to transfer into Spring of 2nd year, so I might could try then. Oh well, if it doesn't work I'm not out anything, it just seems like worth a shot if I could get IS tuition, but if I couldn't do it next year, I guess I would just have to stay put.

Whoops! I know next to nothing about Texas A&M...but I'd assume that the school has had LSU kids transfer in before, so they might have a pretty good grasp of the two curriculums and how those kids have fared?

PS -- I can't imagine that it would hurt to go ahead and apply, if they'll let you? I hate to be "morbid" but there's still the opportunity for someone to get sick, fail a class, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
PS -- I can't imagine that it would hurt to go ahead and apply, if they'll let you? I hate to be "morbid" but there's still the opportunity for someone to get sick, fail a class, etc.

No I know, I thought that too... it's just not an easy process to apply... it's like applying for the World's Most Complicated Scholarship, and doing it while IN vet school would be very very challenging.

I have no idea about 2nd semester 2nd year....we have surgery first semseter 2nd year. The LSU student who transferred here did so in the first semester. our class was hit pretty hard over the past two years, 4-5 serious illnesses (withdrew for the year) and a couple of spouse/SO/sibling deaths that hit people hard (with some withdraws.)

Thank you for the info. I am actually looking to transfer to A&M (my IS) but I'm sure a lot of this could be applied there. I called them and they don't currently have any spots available

Really? Cause we've lost like 6 people and gained only one.

Really? Cause we've lost like 6 people and gained only one.

Psh that's what the lady in the freaking Office of Professional Programs said when I called last week. I told her I was a first year and wondering if there were any available open spots as of right now, and she said no there are no open spots in the class. Wow, that really makes me angry.

Psh that's what the lady in the freaking Office of Professional Programs said when I called last week. I told her I was a first year and wondering if there were any available open spots as of right now, and she said no there are no open spots in the class. Wow, that really makes me angry.

There may be circumstances behind this that others in the class of 2014 don't know about. Maybe some transfer positions have already been taken for next year, or maybe someone from the 2013 class failed out/took leave and are on a hiatus before rejoining into the 2014 class. I'm sure if there are positions they will love to take your tuition money. Don't get angry just yet :)

There may be circumstances behind this that others in the class of 2014 don't know about. Maybe some transfer positions have already been taken for next year, or maybe someone from the 2013 class failed out/took leave and are on a hiatus before rejoining into the 2014 class. I'm sure if there are positions they will love to take your tuition money. Don't get angry just yet :)

I'll try to restrain myself... I just haven't had the best of luck with A&M offices in the past anyways. They're not the most helpful people I've dealt with in my history of working with different vet school admissions.

I believe we have lost 5, and I know for sure that we have only gained one. However, I don't know if anyone in class of 2013 deferred a year after 1st year. Still, I can't imagine FIVE people would have deferred. The only other reason I can think of for them telling you that is because our class is huge, 134 people or something like that.

Who did you talk to? You might want to speak with someone else. I don't know much about the transfer process, but I can tell you who to contact in general for admissions stuff if you would like. Good luck with everything!

Hi Libster -

I transferred from Ross to Tufts this year so if you have any questions I might be able to help you with, feel free to PM me.

I am kind of in the same situation as you are. I applied for transfer to Texas A&M for fall 2011 so I could be IS and be closer to my family. I actually just sent off my application yesterday. When I talked to the office of professional programs back in December they told me that it was dependent on 1) grades 2) reason for wanting to transfer and 3) if there were spots available.

I don't know if they have any spots available or not, but whoever you talked to definitely has me discouraged. My current school said that they have had people transfer to A&M before, so I know it is possible.

If you have any question I might be able to help since we both are wanting to transfer to A&M, and I'll let you know if I hear anything from them.

anyone know if VMRCVM accepts transfer students? my parents are pushing me to look into the option so i thought i'd ask around. there's nothin on their website saying they do and because they accept AUA transfer students, i'm pretty sure they don't really take others, but who knows haha (reasons are strictly financial, i really can't imagine transferring at this point though)

According to VMSAR 2011:

Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Oregon, Purdue, Tennessee, Tufts, and Washington may consider your transfer from Saint George's. However, the spots are extremely limited and state residents do have priority. Definitely an idea worth pursuing ,but transferring will not be an easy path. I think that Kansas has tended to accept more transfers in the past, but each year is unique.

hmm good to know. thanks. i think the financial benefits would have to REALLY outweigh everything else for me to even consider it. i'm in state for VMRCVM, but there would be extra classes to take and i'm pretty sure i'm going to fall in love with island (particularly the weather! imagine being able to get away with only wearing a jacket indoors! a dream come true for a reptile like me-i swear i'm always cold!)

You might be eligible for some Canadian schools too... but that would probably be your worst nightmare! Snow, snizzle, and some lightning snow thrown in too :)

I am the exact opposite. Love fall & spring, winter's okay, summer makes me want to crawl indoors! My body just doesn't regulate heat very well. I plan to live near the ocean so I can just dive in the water when I get too hot :)

i cant wait to get to school so that i'm out of my house where my family is constantly teasing me about wearing something fleece or other. just because AC on in the 70s is too cool for me doesn't mean its a big deal! not like i'm asking them to turn it off or anything!

and canadian schools would probably be a nightmare for me! blacksburg alone was ridiculous!

my parents were initially divided-dad (shockingly) was all oh you're going to love it and never want to come back and thats great, while my mother was all are you going to transfer? you should transfer. and now theyre both on me about. well those who dont pay dont get a say :p

VMRCVM doesn't really do official transfers because of the tracking program, but we did get two people from other schools come into our class last semester, so maybe there's another way it can be worked out given someone's circumstances if you talk to the admissions office.

I am actually looking to transfer to A&M (my IS) but I'm sure a lot of this could be applied there.

128817890846024440.jpg

Hey, soon-to-be-second years. Beware, you'll see me next year in your lab ;)

****disclaimer. Another Lounge game avatar. I only wish I had a lightsaber. That would come in uber handy on the floor.....****

Last edited:
It would seem that way to me too, as by third year there probably aren't any open spots. I read on the school's website thought that you can transfer only into "2nd through 7th semesters" suggesting that there was a possibility of transfer past 2nd year. Just trying to get some thoughts, I appreciate the feedback

Hi Libster

I got stuck here while searching veterinary colleges for my sis. I feel you are quite sick now looking for colleges to continue your course. Have you ever tried in some universities providing online veterinary courses. I think this might help you. I came across a site just now which has details of all such universities with their scholarship plans. Try and contact them. These universities might have some provisions regarding transfers.

http://veterinariantechnician.org/financial-aid-and-scholarships-for-vet-techs/

Hope your problem will come to end here.

Hi Libster

I got stuck here while searching veterinary colleges for my sis. I feel you are quite sick now looking for colleges to continue your course. Have you ever tried in some universities providing online veterinary courses. I think this might help you. I came across a site just now which has details of all such universities with their scholarship plans. Try and contact them. These universities might have some provisions regarding transfers.

http://veterinariantechnician.org/financial-aid-and-scholarships-for-vet-techs/

Hope your problem will come to end here.

Um....we're all talking veterinary school. Not veterinary technician school...