Possible transfer seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurevet_11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know ultimately I’m going to make my own decision but I was hoping to see what you would do.
I just finished my 3rd term at SGU and am in the class of 2023. I recently found out I was accepted to Cornell as a transfer, but I wouldn’t be able to start until August, would have to redo my 3rd term and would graduate in 2024. I know Cornell is the “higher ranked” school and it’s not as though I’m burnt out, but I don’t love the year of being a year “behind.” Money is not an issue so thankfully finances don’t play a role in my decision. I'm definitely not saying one school produces better vets than another, but whenever I try to talk about it to my parents to try to decide they only care about the rankings (parents am i right). I’m just curious what others in my position would choose to do. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I know ultimately I’m going to make my own decision but I was hoping to see what you would do.
I just finished my 3rd term at SGU and am in the class of 2023. I recently found out I was accepted to Cornell as a transfer, but I wouldn’t be able to start until August, would have to redo my 3rd term and would graduate in 2024. I know Cornell is the better school and it’s not as though I’m burnt out, but I don’t love the year of being a year “behind.” Money is not an issue so thankfully finances don’t play a role in my decision. I’m just curious what others in my position would choose to do. Thanks in advance!
I think it boils down to why you applied to transfer in the first place. Is it strong enough that you are willing to have a longer term? I don't think one school is necessarily better than another. They both have excellent graduates, but that has more to do with the people than the school itself.

Reactions: 3 users
I think this depends on your reasons for applying to transfer in the first place? I’m not asking you to tell us why but transferring because you have an ill family member or your own health issues is a lot stronger of a reason than “meh, I just wanted to”. If that makes sense? Where you graduate from doesn’t matter too much in the grand scheme of things. Cornell might be viewed as the “better school” to some but not to others. I’ve known good and bad students from both. You said finances don’t matter too much but also consider and factor in that you’d be losing out on a whole year of income as a veterinarian even separate from any difference in tuition.

Edit: Lupin posted while I was typing but I obviously agree with her.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My first question would be is why are you asking for a transfer? I also wouldnt say Cornell is better or not as tough. All vet schools make you a vet-you as an individual determine how good you are ie time put in. Maybe not as tough in terms of going all year with more traditional breaks but I'm sure it's difficult in its own ways. Personally I wouldnt want to repeat a semester but that has more to do with not wanting to do another semester of didactic not so much for ever feeling behind. Also echo what everyone else has said. @MOOSEygoosey for cornell input.

Reactions: 2 users
I just finished my 3rd term at SGU and am in the class of 2023. I recently found out I was accepted to Cornell as a transfer, but I wouldn’t be able to start until August, would have to redo my 3rd term and would graduate in 2024. I know Cornell is the “higher ranked” school and it’s not as though I’m burnt out, but I don’t love the year of being a year “behind.” Money is not an issue so thankfully finances don’t play a role in my decision. I'm definitely not saying one school produces better vets than another, but whenever I try to talk about it to my parents to try to decide they only care about the rankings (parents am i right). I’m just curious what others in my position would choose to do. Thanks in advance!
I’m currently transferring to another school and these are all things I weighed in on my decision. I think with the island schools a big concern right now is not getting the hands on experience you need in order to be prepared for clinicals. So is it worth it for you to wait almost a year and repeat a semester if you’re able to get more hands on experience?? Or do you want to be done with your education quicker and be able to jump into being a doctor?? I think COVID complicates things, especially since the island schools are almost all online right now, but you’ll still be graduate on time. They’re both accredited schools and you’ll get the education you need to become a doctor. Ultimately it’s something you’ll have to weigh the pros vs cons on.

Reactions: 1 user