Possible to take USMLE after graduating from DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardshopeful87

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So basically I'm a medicine resident in an acgme program. Never took any usmle tests during med school, only comlex. Is it possible to take usmle at this point?? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so. I think you have to take all preceding steps before you take a USMLE exam.

why do you want to?

What do you mean by that? For fellowship purposes. Is there a rule that you have to be currently enrolled in med school to take an exam?

Which USMLE did you want to take for fellowship? I assumed you were talking about step 3.

By preceding steps, I meant steps 1 and 2. I think you're not allowed to take step 3 without taking steps 1 and 2 first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which USMLE did you want to take for fellowship? I assumed you were talking about step 3.

By preceding steps, I meant steps 1 and 2. I think you're not allowed to take step 3 without taking steps 1 and 2 first.

I'm thinking about taking 1 and 2. Study for 6-12 mos after finishing residency, hopefully annihilate it, and better shot at fellowship the next cycle? It's a thought

I'm thinking about taking 1 and 2. Study for 6-12 mos after finishing residency, hopefully annihilate it, and better shot at fellowship the next cycle? It's a thought

I would definitely reach out to quite a few PDs at programs of interest before doing this. Make sure it actually affects consideration of your application to a significant margin before taking such a step. No pun intended. Taking step 1 and both step 2s would cost thousands just for the exams, not to mention the opportunity cost of losing work. Maybe consider doing more research.