Possible to get into Columbia dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alc9162

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'll be enrolling in a masters program before applying to dental school. I'm currently studying for the DAT right now, which I'll be taking next year if I am ready (not taking it unless I'm scoring a 25+ on DAT bootcamp). Assuming I do end up with a high DAT score, do I have a shot at Columbia dental school considering my lowife overall gpa of 3.15 and BCP of about the same? I did poorly in undergrad but I had a huge upward trend in my last year where I averaged a 3.75 while taking all upper level bio courses which included a med school level course. As for my extra curriculars: I've worked at NewYork-Presbyterian hospital as a liaison between various departments, was a mentor for high school students through a club at my school, and part of the pre-dental society as a member. What do you all think? If not Columbia at all, how's it looking for NYU? Blunt answers please.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I would call Columbia dental school and explain your situation similar to how you did here and ask them, in addition to a high DAT, what you could do to increase your chances of acceptance. I think they'd be happy to know you are so interested in their school that you are calling in advance to try to make yourself the best applicant possible. Plus, who would know better than the actual dental school if you have a chance and what you can do to improve your chances. Good luck to you!

Can I ask for your motives for wanting to pursue Columbia so badly? it's already a very hard school to get into with excellent stats, but it'll be even more difficult because of your GPA. Keep in mind if your home state has a dental school, you could be paying $200k more to attend a school like Columbia than your home state's school.
If it's because you want to specialize then I will assure you that you can specialize wherever you go if you work hard. Columbia students are just extremely smart so they'd specialize regardless of where they attended dental school.

I'd avoid speculation until after you take your DAT and actually have a score - given your GPA, your chances are too heavily dependent on the outcome of that test for any estimate to be of much use.